5hr 45 minute delay! What can I do

Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
5hr 45 minute delay! What can I do

Last time I flew QR and passed through DOHA my flight got cancelled and was rebooked onto another 3hr later.

This time QR have gone one better. A 5hr and 45 minute delay! Oh yes... flying DOH-NBO so no EU compensation but what can I do? Am I entitled to anything by QR?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:44 pm
R2

You're entitled to be accommodated on the next available flight.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by djtriggz
Last time I flew QR and passed through DOHA my flight got cancelled and was rebooked onto another 3hr later.

This time QR have gone one better. A 5hr and 45 minute delay! Oh yes... flying DOH-NBO so no EU compensation but what can I do? Am I entitled to anything by QR?
Did your flight start in Doha ? Or Eu ?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Unfortunately the flight started in BKK!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I had a similar delay time awhile back with QR. I raised a claim through resolver and received compensation quite quickly.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Reading the QR threads, I sometimes think that people see QR as the only airline to experience operational delays and cancellations.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Reading the QR threads, I sometimes think that people see QR as the only airline to experience operational delays and cancellations.
I originally wrote something in a reply here 5 minutes ago, angling it as being a resident in Eurpe I'm used to decent customer protections. Then I deleted it all. Then I thought it a bit more through. (Novel concept, I do this from time to time).

I know airlines face challenges all over as they strive to shave every cent they can off operational cost at alle times. Sometimes it's even impressive the lengths they go to. But here is the part that I think give way to so many threads in here and so much gripe about QR in general: there is no consistent (and rational) way of handling things when whatever it is doesn't go according to the script. QR's customer support seem to not only use as little resources as it can get away with towards it's customers, but also to do so to it's own staff. It seems staff doesn't have enough resoruces spent on making sure everyone is on the same page and talking from the same script. This combined with the fact that you may get your problem resolved the same day or wait weeks for refunds just create a feeling that once things go bad not only in many cases don't you get the help you need, but it is also very inconsistent. Customers can take crap as long as it is consistent and predictable. Inconsistent and unpredictale is not something humans deal well with.

-A
NoY likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:23 am

Yet we're all still here. Must be spending enough or we're mugs!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC
We are probably here because the onboard experience is consistent enough. Only a small proportion of us need to interface with customer service from time to time.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
I know airlines face challenges all over as they strive to shave every cent they can off operational cost at alle times. Sometimes it's even impressive the lengths they go to.
Strikes me as a particularly jaundiced and somewhat cynical view. Lots of times delays and cancellations just happen through no one's fault.

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
But here is the part that I think give way to so many threads in here and so much gripe about QR in general: there is no consistent (and rational) way of handling things when whatever it is doesn't go according to the script. QR's customer support seem to not only use as little resources as it can get away with towards it's customers, but also to do so to it's own staff. It seems staff doesn't have enough resoruces spent on making sure everyone is on the same page and talking from the same script. This combined with the fact that you may get your problem resolved the same day or wait weeks for refunds just create a feeling that once things go bad not only in many cases don't you get the help you need, but it is also very inconsistent. Customers can take crap as long as it is consistent and predictable. Inconsistent and unpredictale is not something humans deal well with.
Ever fly AA? Take a stroll through the AA forum someday when you have some time. Loads of complaints about AA outright lying to passengers about delays, etc. I assure you that it's not just QR.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
EU pax have become accustomed to getting compensation for delays. That was not the case before EC261 and is still not the case in many parts of the world. A few FFP miles, possibly; but no financial compensation.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:31 am

Strikes me as a particularly jaundiced and somewhat cynical view. Lots of times delays and cancellations just happen through no one's fault.
Nothing cynical about this. I'm just saying they are doing a lot to save money, not only in ways that leave customers fighting harder for their rights, but in good ways too. Compare operations (and irrops) today in most airlines with how this was only 15-20 years ago. A sea of difference. Some of this is what enables many of us to jet around in business class and to it a lot more often than before, and it is also what makes that more frustrating now vs before dealing with customer service. Looking back at how the world worked in the early naughties when I had a similar spend with SQ, the way things were done were very different. Change isn't all good nor all bad. Change is just different.

Ever fly AA? Take a stroll through the AA forum someday when you have some time. Loads of complaints about AA outright lying to passengers about delays, etc. I assure you that it's not just QR.
I can name other airlines as well. I tend to see US based airlines about the same level of honesty and customer service levels as some of the airlines I use in Africa. And as others have pointed out, in Europe the threshold a corporation has to rise above to be allowed to fornicate with my tail area is higher than e.g. the US.

-A
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by brunos
EU pax have become accustomed to getting compensation for delays. That was not the case before EC261 and is still not the case in many parts of the world. A few FFP miles, possibly; but no financial compensation.
Not all kinds of delays, airlines are still being creative about this. There has been a number of cases to weed out the silliest ideas. For example, it took a number of years before airlines was told that claming that an aircraft having a tech fault was not eligble for compensation because airlines do regular maintenenace and therefore snags while in operation are outside the control of the airline, and other silliness.

But the general gist is that in Europe customers have a stronger position than in other places, and as much as many companies moan about this, it is better for companies as they have to be more honest and not get away with blantant lies (not all the time, anyhoo).

-A

Last edited by ph-ndr; Dec 28, 2018 at 9:35 am Reason: Speeeeling.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a fundamental difference between how these matters are viewed by the EU and by the rest of the world (excepting Israel and to a lesser extent, Turkey). Rather than a windfall social welfare system, the rest of the world looks at delays as part of life and a part which those who cannot sustain the risk, insure. Others simply self-insure and once in a while are stuck paying for a biscuit and coffee or a hotel room, as the case may be.

The purpose of EC 261/2004 was not compensation but to encourage air carriers to operate on schedule. Yet, it is almost 2019, and there is not one shred of evidence that EU carriers and non-EU carriers operating xEU do so in a more timely manner than other parts of the world or better than they did before.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The purpose of EC 261/2004 was not compensation but to encourage air carriers to operate on schedule. Yet, it is almost 2019, and there is not one shred of evidence that EU carriers and non-EU carriers operating xEU do so in a more timely manner than other parts of the world or better than they did before.
This is weering off into bad-OMNI-land, but the EC261 bits came to life as airlines were running afoul many protections that customers in the EU/EEC had as part of their lives already in being customers in any transaction. The airlines just needed an added push to behave. Then the next level of argumnet here is wether EU261 is just considered prt of the cost of operating and thus passed on to the customers again as cost.

There is a big gap between both how the customer is prtectd in transactions, and how personal privacy is viewed, in the EU/EEC vs the US or many other parts of the world. This is just part of that. I approve of a society where corporations can't get to uppity.

-A
GalaxyChris likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.