Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

What is going on with QR BKK ground handling agent lately?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is going on with QR BKK ground handling agent lately?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by djtriggz
Sitting at BKK and have just experienced this absolutely fuming been made to check in a backpack! hasn’t even got a lock on it and I’m flying to Africa. Absolutely fuming. Ended up losing my cool with them as they are being so unreasonable! FUMING ��
J or Y? I'm flying out on Friday in J, hoping to take just my usual (large) carryon with a laptop bag/sleeve.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
J or Y? I'm flying out on Friday in J, hoping to take just my usual (large) carryon with a laptop bag/sleeve.
Sitting in the Al Safa Lounge in Doha now, the main one is being renovated so the temporary one is near gate A1. still fuming 😤 , I did get a personalised greeting on the plane though twice!! Maybe ground staff alerted them that I wasn’t having a pleasant experience. I am Flying J. If you are taking 2 items they both have to have a combined weight of 7kg not a gram over!! Flown QR quite a few times now even weigh ins at gate have allowed up to 10kg per bag! Ridiculous! Best option for you to do if travelling alone is to leave one of the bags with the guy who wraps baggage give him some money, get your boarding pass and then go back to him to collect it before proceeding through security.

Just to top it off received an alert from my QR app letting me know my flight is delayed..

RANT OVER
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djtriggz
Best option for you to do if travelling alone is to leave one of the bags with the guy who wraps baggage give him some money, get your boarding pass and then go back to him to collect it before proceeding through security.
This. I believe that there's also a left luggage storage place somewhere at BKK, too. That's what I think that I'm going to do. My laptop is an Alienware 17, which is 5 kg by itself. I don't know that I'd want to leave an expensive laptop with a luggage wrapping guy; it's just too portable and concealable. OK, so it just means that I'll have to get to the airport a little earlier.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: QR Platinum
This. I believe that there's also a left luggage storage place somewhere at BKK, too. That's what I think that I'm going to do. My laptop is an Alienware 17, which is 5 kg by itself. I don't know that I'd want to leave an expensive laptop with a luggage wrapping guy; it's just too portable and concealable. OK, so it just means that I'll have to get to the airport a little earlier.
Hmmm, you are advocating the enforcing of strict rules by the airline (e.g. posts #5 or #24 ) and at the same time you are considering circumventing the rules?
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toz100
Hmmm, you are advocating the enforcing of strict rules by the airline (e.g. posts #5 or #24 ) and at the same time you are considering circumventing the rules?
Yup, exactly.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, exactly.
Let me be a little less flip and explain what I mean. In order to have a rational carryon policy, a number of things have to change:

1. The policy needs to be rationally based.
a) As tight as space in the overhead storage lockers can be in Y, it's equally empty in J. I'm a regular/frequent QR premium cabin flyer; and I have yet to see a situation in a premium cabin where the overhead lockers were even close to being full. In fact, I've never had any problem getting an overhead locker right above my seat. Why? Easy. Premium cabin seating is much less dense than Y seating. There's an increased checked baggage allowance for premium cabin flyers, why not an increased carryon allowance for them, too?

If you/they argue about the increased fuel required to carry heavy items, then allow people to exceed the carryon allowance by paying a surcharge, same as with checked bags. However,...

b) It's not really about weight. You can check as much luggage as you like if you're willing to pay for it. Overhead locker space isn't about weight, either. The limitation is really one of size. So limit the size of carryons, not the weight. Why, for example, is a heavy laptop like mine restricted? It's flat and takes up virtually no space. Doesn't affect or impede anyone else's use of overhead lockers. When the lockers are full or nearly so, as on domestic U.S. flights, I put my carryon in the locker then the laptop on top of it. Or I put the laptop inside the carryon.

2. The policy needs to be enforced consistently. Enforcing it at a couple of outstations but not in the rest of the network leads to major problems for travelers. How do I pack? Enforcement shouldn't depend on where you happen to be flying from.

So, yes, IMO, QR needs a rational, reality-based and consistently enforced carryon policy.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: QR Plat
So, yes, IMO, QR needs a rational, reality-based and consistently enforced carryon policy.
Can you please DM me your billing address? You owe me a keyboard. And a fresh cup of tea.

-A
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I think someone was gently poking fun at your change of attitude regarding cabin baggage from slightly po-faced through "I'm all right Jack", to understandable concern about restrictions to your hand-baggage on your next next trip - complete with an excellent strategy for circumventing the very rules you'd apparently suggested should be enforced.

We have the same problems with cabin bag weight restrictions at some TK outstations (Jakarta is my bugbear). It's variously been attributed to load restrictions on overhead lockers, ditto the backs of cabin staff and even transfer logistics at Istanbul. The more cynical suggest it might be a wider strategy to generate excess baggage charges. I think it's more a case of contracted check-in staff blindly applying rules ....

.... which brings us back to your laudable plea for airlines to establish a more rational set of rules. Though rationality and QR rules are not always concepts in perfect harmony.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
Can you please DM me your billing address? You owe me a keyboard. And a fresh cup of tea.

-A
If there are two things of which I have way too many, they are keyboards and mice. I'll be much stingier with the tea, however!
Abyssin likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I think someone was gently poking fun at your change of attitude regarding cabin baggage from slightly po-faced through "I'm all right Jack", to understandable concern about restrictions to your hand-baggage on your next next trip - complete with an excellent strategy for circumventing the very rules you'd apparently suggested should be enforced.
No, I completely understand. It's reasonable to expect me to be consistent, -- hell, I expect it of myself! And, yes, I certainly can see the humor in this.

We have the same problems with cabin bag weight restrictions at some TK outstations (Jakarta is my bugbear). It's variously been attributed to load restrictions on overhead lockers, ditto the backs of cabin staff and even transfer logistics at Istanbul.
Yeah, that's another thing that I don't understand. It's the same weight, whether it's in the overhead or in the hold.

.... which brings us back to your laudable plea for airlines to establish a more rational set of rules. Though rationality and QR rules are not always concepts in perfect harmony.
If the rules were consistently enforced, it would be much easier to plan. Rational? Well, that's another story altogether.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, that's another thing that I don't understand. It's the same weight, whether it's in the overhead or in the hold.

The slightly geekish explanation is probably that overhead bins are stress related in terms of weight, taking into account good old gravity swings from turbulence or extreme manoeuvres.

In the extreme case of an accident the disgorged bin contents would create obstructions for evacuation.

And those contents would create a significant ouch! moment if they fell on passengers

As for cabin crew and their backs, I've seen some struggling to juggle mega-bags around between lockers to make space - and to assist passengers place their carry-ons.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for cabin crew and their backs, I've seen some struggling to juggle mega-bags around between lockers to make space - and to assist passengers place their carry-ons.
Not in the U.S., you haven't! IIRC, cabin crew helping passengers lift their carryons into the overhead storage lockers is prohibited by most/all union contracts.
Abyssin likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not in the U.S., you haven't! IIRC, cabin crew helping passengers lift their carryons into the overhead storage lockers is prohibited by most/all union contracts.

But I have been impressed by the way they move bags around within and between lockers to make room.

BA has the same rule in place regarding assisting passengers place their bags in overheads. I'm pleased to say most cabin crew seem to ignore the restriction when it comes to helping passengers in need.
Abyssin likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:24 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

IME being QR PLT while flying J does get one some leeway at checkin. In one of the threads (but I can't recall which one right now) I wrote about such an experience at CDG checkin last year, where I heard a supervisor say to the checkin agent that it was OK, as I am PLT (it was not carryon weight, it was a different issue).
I concur, some sort of elite membership or recognition does give leeway in my experience.

Last September at CGK, I was bringing two rather bulky looking carryons and a small backpack, flying J. At the gate, the gate staff said that I was only allowed to bring two pieces carryon (backpack included), I pointed at the sign which says two carryons and a personal item for J passengers. He smiled and said no, two carryons only, includes your backpack. I was at a loss, until the station manager came over and recognised me, and told the gate staff to let me pass. phew...

I guess flying the same flight 8 times in a span of a month helped a bit
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
Because I know that this is of great interest here in this thread, I thought that I'd let you all know the "final answer" on my carryon plan tomorrow night ex-BKK.

As I'm packing this morning (36 hours pre-departure), I realized that I want to take a few things which might not make it through security scanning in a carryon. So I'm going to check my carryon bag and carry my 11 pound laptop along with a change of clothes for showering in Al Mourjan. Since the laptop (plus keyboard, mouse, power transformer) and the overnight bag in which I carry it may exceed 7 kg., I'll stick the transformer in my blazer pocket for checkin. That should keep me under 7 kg. I will not, however, enjoy schlepping that thing around. It fits so nicely on the top of my wheeled carryon, and is so much easier to transport that way.

I'll check back in here for the return trip on January 2 because some of the things which might not pass security will be left in Boston.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.