Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

What is going on with QR BKK ground handling agent lately?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AC,DL,AA

I'm a frequent flyer between North America and South East Asia. I travelled to BKK a lot lately but I feel that ground handling agents at BKK are so unreasonable strict about carry on weight.

I'm not carrying like a lot. Only a laptop with the charger and accessories in the small laptop bag weight around 8 lbs (4kg) and carry on suit case which have a few clothes like sweater and aome sock weight around 10lbs (5kg). please note that carry on suit case itself weight around 5 lbs (2.5 kg give or take)

I was force to check in laptop bag into the cargo hold in last 2 or 3 times in BKK. The reason is combine carry on have to be exactly 7kg. Even I have explained to the ground agents that laptop bag it is what it is a personal handbag and If I load into cargo hold and it damage no one will responsible but myself and I need a few clothes such a jacket, sweater and socks with me as I'm traveling to cold climate country just incase if my check baggage doesn't arrive.

I'm thinking about write a feedback to QR but I was wondering if I'm the one who are the problem not following the exact 7kg rules or BKK ground agents are unreasonable.

It's doesn't make sense to me that I have to dress up like I'm in Chicago while I'm in BKK just to avoid this. It's Qatar Airways not Ryanair. I never face this kind of problem from any of QR network airport that I have travelled. Most of the time they ask to weight your carry on suit case but not a laptop bag.

Please share your thought or experience.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:59 am

As far as I could see, they were not that strict. As long as people were below 8kg, they were usually ok with it.
Not sure what you want to write them a complaint about, that they were sticking to their rules? I can tell you the kind of reply you will get: "We are very sorry that ... but ...".

I agree that 7kg can be restrictive, but when I know about it, I found it to be quite doable, incl. Laptop. I wouldn't necessarily use a 2.5kg carry on though.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Sounds like a kiwi.com ''self connection" or one of these other hacker fares that stick together two tickets and protect themselves against the passenger misconnecting by having unfair contract terms in their T&C's.

Sounds like a journey doomed to fail whatever way.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by plunet
Sounds like a kiwi.com ''self connection" or one of these other hacker fares that stick together two tickets and protect themselves against the passenger misconnecting by having unfair contract terms in their T&C's.

Sounds like a journey doomed to fail whatever way.
I guess you wanted to post that elsewhere?
nancypants and plunet like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by oh101
I'm a frequent flyer between North America and South East Asia. I travelled to BKK a lot lately but I feel that ground handling agents at BKK are so unreasonable strict about carry on weight.
Or, put slightly differently, you don't understand why the ground agents are enforcing the published rules for carryons. DTKWYA? (Don't They Know Who You Are?)

IMO the problem here is that the rules should be enforced more strictly, not less. Then people wouldn't be complaining when a carrier actually adheres to the rules that it publishes.

That said, I never weigh my things before I get to the airport; and they've never been weighed at the airport, either. (I fly out of BKK at least 6×/year. Usually paid J, award J the rest of the time.) Being QRPC PLT might be a factor.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Or, put slightly differently, you don't understand why the ground agents are enforcing the published rules for carryons. DTKWYA? (Don't They Know Who You Are?)

IMO the problem here is that the rules should be enforced more strictly, not less. Then people wouldn't be complaining when a carrier actually adheres to the rules that it publishes.

That said, I never weigh my things before I get to the airport; and they've never been weighed at the airport, either. (I fly out of BKK at least 6×/year. Usually paid J, award J the rest of the time.) Being QRPC PLT might be a factor.
To be fair, 7kg is quite strict, even for Y. But after having been unpleasantly surprised once, there should be some learning effect. While 7kg might be restricting, it is definitely something one can deal with when being aware of.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:53 am
Original Poster

I'm not complaining that they are adhere by their rules and I'm not looking to get compensation or apology but I would like to feedback that sometime not everybody want to checked their cabin bag especially during the winter months.

I'm normally way below the weight limit in the summer but winter months jacket sweater etc. and one cabin baggage weight way less than the limit. Once they combined a laptop bag which fit under the seat is a bit over between 7.5 - 8.5 kg.

What I'm thinking to give them some feedback not a complaint maybe somebody in QR may listen and try to improve it.

At least allow the laptop bag which perfectly underneath the seat and count them like a women handbag or in the future if they will raise a cabin limit a bit.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by oh101
I'm not complaining that they are adhere by their rules and I'm not looking to get compensation or apology but I would like to feedback that sometime not everybody want to checked their cabin bag especially during the winter months.

I'm normally way below the weight limit in the summer but winter months jacket sweater etc. and one cabin baggage weight way less than the limit. Once they combined a laptop bag which fit under the seat is a bit over between 7.5 - 8.5 kg.

What I'm thinking to give them some feedback not a complaint maybe somebody in QR may listen and try to improve it.

At least allow the laptop bag which perfectly underneath the seat and count them like a women handbag or in the future if they will raise a cabin limit a bit.
Of course you can ask them whether they'll change baggage allowances, but I wouldn't hold my breath. QR isn't exactly known to react to customer feedback. It's the kind of airline where you take what they offer, which isn't bad in many regards, or you just move on.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
My suggestion would be to prune your packing list to the minimum and put it in a single lightweight carry-on bag; a 2.5kg carry-on bag is silly when your allowance is only 7kg. For illustration, I typically travel with a single bag with a total weight of 5kg in winter or 4kg in summer (and no checked bag); this includes the weight of my bag (roughly 900g). This includes all my clothing, toiletries, tablet, down jacket (in winter), raincoat, hat, gloves, sunglasses, various small electronics. I realize my example is a bit extreme, but if you buy the right items it's easy to cut down your packed weight.

Alternatively, wear your heavy clothing items when you board instead of putting them in your bag. They won't be weighed if you do that. Then just put them into the bag once you're on the plane.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swingaling
My suggestion would be to prune your packing list to the minimum and put it in a single lightweight carry-on bag; a 2.5kg carry-on bag is silly when your allowance is only 7kg. For illustration, I typically travel with a single bag with a total weight of 5kg in winter or 4kg in summer (and no checked bag); this includes the weight of my bag (roughly 900g). This includes all my clothing, toiletries, tablet, down jacket (in winter), raincoat, hat, gloves, sunglasses, various small electronics. I realize my example is a bit extreme, but if you buy the right items it's easy to cut down your packed weight.

Alternatively, wear your heavy clothing items when you board instead of putting them in your bag. They won't be weighed if you do that. Then just put them into the bag once you're on the plane.

Good input. I haven't changed my packing list and carry on for at least last 10 years.

Maybe it's kind of normal nowadays to put heavy clothing before boarding. Kind of silly but I hope they not going shrink carry on limit even further.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FB Plat
Same happened to me repeatedly at QR counter in BKK. Once I was carrying really special Virtual Reality headset and I have had troubles repacking everything. No way I could but this utterly expensive device on hold. Then you see the empty bins on the plane. Ridiculous. Never happened to me in EU travelling the reverse way to BKK. Actually I wonder what would happen if I check in w/o small bag and later on take my stuff onboard, because I did not see anybody checking the weight at the gate.

And really nice cultural experience is trying to argue with Thai checkin staff. They keep smiling, understand your emotions, agree with whatever you say and at the end when they agree with you .... there is just a result NO.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by makrom
I guess you wanted to post that elsewhere?
​​​​​​#facepalm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by nmsondrej
Once I was carrying really special Virtual Reality headset and I have had troubles repacking everything. No way I could but this utterly expensive device on hold
You can request the airline provides additional insurance. You might find the paperwork hassle then becomes enough they let you board with it.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: QR Plat, BA Silver
My suggestion at check in just leave your jacket (around 1-2kg) outside of your suit case. So you should just stay in your limit (7,5-8,5kg). I know it‘s a little bit of extra hassle but never seen at check in that they wheight your jacket. And after security just put your jacket back in your suit case.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by solfi
My suggestion at check in just leave your jacket (around 1-2kg) outside of your suit case. So you should just stay in your limit (7,5-8,5kg). I know it‘s a little bit of extra hassle but never seen at check in that they wheight your jacket. And after security just put your jacket back in your suit case.
..... not forgetting to fill the jacket pockets for fine tuning
GalaxyChris and clubeurope like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.