Wiki Posts
Search

No Qmiles for CASH ticket upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qmiles
No Qmiles for CASH ticket upgrade

I have been told by Qatar Airways customer service that my cash upgrade from economy to business class did not earn me any extra miles i.e. I paid for and traveled on business but only received the amount of Qmiles as if I had traveled on economy. It does not make any sense to me. Has this happened to anyone else, can someone advise? Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dhannon
I have been told by Qatar Airways customer service that my cash upgrade from economy to business class did not earn me any extra miles i.e. I paid for and traveled on business but only received the amount of Qmiles as if I had traveled on economy. It does not make any sense to me. Has this happened to anyone else, can someone advise? Thanks.
IMO that's not unusual, across all airlines. You paid much less in total than a J ticket would have cost, right?
makrom likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qmiles
I sure did pay less but I also paid more. I only expect to receive more points in proportion to what I spent on the upgrade. Is this really an all-airlines policy across the board? I mean is that a fact? Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I sure did pay less but I also paid more. I only expect to receive more points in proportion to what I spent on the upgrade. Is this really an all-airlines policy across the board? I mean is that a fact? Thanks.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I didn't mean to imply that it's the policy of all airlines. Looking at all airlines, I do believe that you'll find this to be the policy at most. Points aren't awarded proportionately based on your contribution to an upgrade. That would wreak havoc with FFPs, for example, in the case of those airlines that have bid for upgrade programs.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:23 pm

Exactly as the good doctor said... upgraded flights (not rebooked tickets) are normally not eligible for extra miles for the upgrade - normally it is per the original fare class.

Look at the T&Cs on QR’s upgrade program, it is probably explicit on this. (I’ve not done this with them, but have seen it in other ‘plusgrade’ programs.)

[Edit]Found some relevant pages, read the answers/qualifiers here:
https://www.qatarairways.com/en-us/o...ffer-faqs.html
https://www.qatarairways.com/en-us/u...departure.html

Last edited by crackjack; Nov 20, 2018 at 7:29 pm
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dhannon Welcome to FT

Yes. For cash upgrades at check-in/T-24 or close to departure is very common with many airlines (99%?). Especially if the cash upgrade is less than the full fare difference. Get the ff miles/status earning as the base ticket.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In most programs, the rule would be operationalized based on how the ticket is reissued and in particular what fare class appears on the new ticket. If you pay the fare difference (which some carriers will permit without requiring a change fee), you'll typically get the premium cabin miles but if you pay for a cheap upgrade that books into upgrade inventory (perhaps the same class as is used for free upgrades, upgrades with miles or elite upgrades using certs of some sort), you probably will only earn miles based on the original fare that was paid when the ticket was initially purchased.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:17 am

Was it a special offer cash upgrade or a full blown paid one? Most of the answers above seem to assume the former, although I see nothing in your post which indicates either way.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In most programs, the rule would be operationalized based on how the ticket is reissued and in particular what fare class appears on the new ticket. If you pay the fare difference (which some carriers will permit without requiring a change fee), you'll typically get the premium cabin miles but if you pay for a cheap upgrade that books into upgrade inventory (perhaps the same class as is used for free upgrades, upgrades with miles or elite upgrades using certs of some sort), you probably will only earn miles based on the original fare that was paid when the ticket was initially purchased.
Ironically, on QR, changing the ticket by paying the difference is usually cheaper than the upgrade offer.

But QR is very clear on the upgrade page that miles are according to the old ticket.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
was it a special offer cash upgrade or a full blown paid one? Most of the answers above seem to assume the former, although i see nothing in your post which indicates either way.
​​​​​​​
i sure did pay less but i also paid more. I only expect to receive more points in proportion to what i spent on the upgrade. Is this really an all-airlines policy across the board? I mean is that a fact? Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:49 am

I wasn't sure if that meant he/she had bought it in a sale period hence paid less, or from a special offer.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:20 am

I know it isn't good, but this is fairly standard on a lot of airlines. I believe, EK, BA among others have the same policy and I believe it is clearly communicated on the QR offer.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:02 am

And in some airlines upgrading at the last minute wont provide you a business class meal either.

Last edited by MixalisK.; Nov 21, 2018 at 11:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.