Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR 701 DOH-JFK 12/11/18 Medical Emergency

QR 701 DOH-JFK 12/11/18 Medical Emergency

Old Nov 13, 18, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
Curious what happens to pax without visas to enter Canada, these flights often have a lot of pax from Asia who would require Canadian visas?

What has your travel insurance said when you asked them?

After much deliberation, border patrol just let everyone through without visas.

I don't have travel insurance, which is the problem. Booked everything with my AMEX Platinum, which doesn't appear to offer anything for this situation.
Old Nov 13, 18, 6:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ruby&carlos View Post

I don't have travel insurance, which is the problem. Booked everything with my AMEX Platinum, which doesn't appear to offer anything for this situation.
Amex operates differently in every country, my Amex Plat does offer automatic travel insurance, no idea how it works elsewhere though (and not something I actively knew, I just googled it now to check)
Old Nov 13, 18, 7:02 am

Amex operates differently in every country, my Amex Plat does offer automatic travel insurance, no idea how it works elsewhere though (and not something I actively knew, I just googled it now to check)
Where are you based? I'm from the States.
Old Nov 13, 18, 7:39 am

Programs: UA *G; BAEC Silver, Marriott Premier Elite
I am a UK based card member and have a travel insurance via my Platinum Card - shame that's obviously not the case in the US.

On another note, agree that the whole thing was in the end handled quite well - I have seen much worse from a local flag carrier.
Old Nov 13, 18, 7:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
South Africa, and I can't transfer my MR to anywhere, so there are pluses and minuses to Amex in different countries
Old Nov 13, 18, 9:53 am

I am amazed at those who are complaining, and hats off to those who get it. A stroke victim has a much better chance when emergency care is quickly rendered. So much in fact, that the newest thing is specially equipped ambulances which literally bring advanced stroke care to the patient.

My comment to those who are upset. Maybe you can figure out how to tell all the carriers you use that if G-d forbid you or a family member have a medical emergency— they should ignore it! YOU don’t want to inconvenience your fellow passengers!
Old Nov 13, 18, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK

Not to sound too smug and preachy, but travel insurance - particularly covering health and injury, really should be a must for travels. I know the US has a different approach to this, but it doesn't seem sensible to rely on whether or not your credit card provides a policy.
Old Nov 13, 18, 10:45 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL/CCR, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

That's a pretty big risk from the Canadian authorities, but a fairly sensible decision to take based on the limited resources they likely had available at short notice.

Having never had to use the Travel Insurance on Amex Platinum until very recently, I can confirm that they're very good and quick at resolving and paying out. I was surprised, but delighted!

Originally Posted by awayIgo View Post
I am amazed at those who are complaining, and hats off to those who get it. A stroke victim has a much better chance when emergency care is quickly rendered. So much in fact, that the newest thing is specially equipped ambulances which literally bring advanced stroke care to the patient.

My comment to those who are upset. Maybe you can figure out how to tell all the carriers you use that if G-d forbid you or a family member have a medical emergency— they should ignore it! YOU don’t want to inconvenience your fellow passengers!
Let's try and tone it down a tad.

I think even the most frustrated passengers would understand the need for the diversion, and we are fortunate on here to have passengers from the actual flight; even more fortunate to have the precise information of what happened (from the flight crew).

M
Old Nov 13, 18, 11:41 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I did hope the passenger who had the medical issue is doing well
what I dont understand, and that could just be me..
why are some passengers already asking for comp from the airline.. (nothing personal just asking)
Old Nov 13, 18, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
I did hope the passenger who had the medical issue is doing well
what I dont understand, and that could just be me..
why are some passengers already asking for comp from the airline.. (nothing personal just asking)

Of course the plane should have been landed for the passenger, and I hope that they make a speedy recovery.

However, for the 300+ other passengers who have been on the ground in Quebec for 24+ hours with no guarantee that this flight will leave on time to JFK as there are currently snowy and icy conditions, it would stand to reason that compensation is a logical next step. I have racked up thousands of dollars of change fees for my connecting flight and hotels to accommodate that, through no fault of my own.
Old Nov 13, 18, 12:45 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Of course the plane should have been landed for the passenger, and I hope that they make a speedy recovery.

However, for the 300+ other passengers who have been on the ground in Quebec for 24+ hours with no guarantee that this flight will leave on time to JFK as there are currently snowy and icy conditions, it would stand to reason that compensation is a logical next step. I have racked up thousands of dollars of change fees for my connecting flight and hotels to accommodate that, through no fault of my own.
I do understand, its a tough spot, and my s feeling go out to you and the rest of the passengers,
I am glad to see that Qatar was able to provide hotels, pretty nice considering the short notice, and I can see they along with the ground crew have tried to do their best.

I sincerely hope you get all the comp that is required to make you and other passenger whole, my question was , and not directed to anyone, was that I would be looking for comp once I had completed the journey.
doubt very much right now, if Qatar is focus on that and rather getting everyone home.

Again, having seen so many "comp" questions on FT, sometimes I just wonder .. that is all
Hope you get to where you need to go.. Good travels
Old Nov 13, 18, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL/CCR, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

Sadly, it looks like the flight is already delayed another 2 hours past it's re-scheduled departure time - although some of that, could well be down to JFK operations (specifically QRs ground-handling team) opposed to anything else.

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; Nov 13, 18 at 1:57 pm
Old Nov 13, 18, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
We’ve boarded and at the moment pushback is scheduled for 1620 local time. Engineer whom fixed the aircraft flew in from New Jersey but was held up for several hours by Canadian Immogration as he was coming to ‘work’ and did not have the correct visa so was held up for several hours till that got sorted out, hence the delay. Crew that flew us in are flying us to JFK, all 26 of them then deadhead back to DOH on tomorrow mornings JFK-DOH flight as another crew has already been brought in.
All in all, and several of us passengers chatted over dinner and drinks at the hotel last night that in the circumstances and the Herculean task of quickly addressing the situation and finding accommodation, transport etc., for 300+ passengers, QR passed the challenge well. Of course things could have been better and some passengers felt the inconvenience more than others, but overall well done QR, kudos to the crew, handing agents and Doha management for a situation well handled! As for the passenger who was taken I’ll, apparently still in critical state and we all hope things improve for him quickly.

wrp96, purple1addict and msm2000uk like this.
Old Nov 13, 18, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by yabadoo View Post
We’ve boarded and at the moment pushback is scheduled for 1620 local time. Engineer whom fixed the aircraft flew in from New Jersey but was held up for several hours by Canadian Immogration as he was coming to ‘work’ and did not have the correct visa so was held up for several hours till that got sorted out, hence the delay. Crew that flew us in are flying us to JFK, all 26 of them then deadhead back to DOH on tomorrow mornings JFK-DOH flight as another crew has already been brought in.
All in all, and several of us passengers chatted over dinner and drinks at the hotel last night that in the circumstances and the Herculean task of quickly addressing the situation and finding accommodation, transport etc., for 300+ passengers, QR passed the challenge well. Of course things could have been better and some passengers felt the inconvenience more than others, but overall well done QR, kudos to the crew, handing agents and Doha management for a situation well handled! As for the passenger who was taken I’ll, apparently still in critical state and we all hope things improve for him quickly.

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date and for the insight into those on the ground (both pax and indeed crew).

The airport website is showing a departure slot of 16:30, but if you're onboard, that's half the battle taken care of - albeit not the end of the journey!

M

EDIT: Now 17:00
EDIT: Now 17:30

Last edited by msm2000uk; Nov 13, 18 at 2:55 pm
Old Nov 13, 18, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
I do understand, its a tough spot, and my s feeling go out to you and the rest of the passengers,
I am glad to see that Qatar was able to provide hotels, pretty nice considering the short notice, and I can see they along with the ground crew have tried to do their best.

I sincerely hope you get all the comp that is required to make you and other passenger whole, my question was , and not directed to anyone, was that I would be looking for comp once I had completed the journey.
doubt very much right now, if Qatar is focus on that and rather getting everyone home.

Again, having seen so many "comp" questions on FT, sometimes I just wonder .. that is all
Hope you get to where you need to go.. Good travels
To be fair, once you are facing such sudden drastic losses, I think it's quite understandable that this is a concern. I know from experience that when I sit in a broken down train to the airport, having flights with first class upgrades and uncancelable 5* hotel bookings, the financial consequences definitely cross my mind.

Search this Thread