Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

flight cancelled, rebooked, 6 hours late arrival - compensation?

flight cancelled, rebooked, 6 hours late arrival - compensation?

Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G
Question flight cancelled, rebooked, 6 hours late arrival - compensation?

Hi,

I was booked on OSL-DOH-BEY next Monday but just got a message that the DOH-BEY leg got cancelled (seems like it was very empty).
I gave them a call and got rebooked on OSL-ARN-DOH-BEY with an arrival about 6 hours later (11.20 instead of 5:20). Am I entitled to compensation through EU regulations?

Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by toctoc
Hi,

I was booked on OSL-DOH-BEY next Monday but just got a message that the DOH-BEY leg got cancelled (seems like it was very empty).
I gave them a call and got rebooked on OSL-ARN-DOH-BEY with an arrival about 6 hours later (11.20 instead of 5:20). Am I entitled to compensation through EU regulations?

Thanks!
I would say yes, if the cancellation was due facts recognized in the EU regulation...but I am not sure if this applies for Norway as well, but I guess yes, so I think you are fully entitled for 600 EUR compensation.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply - Norway is included in the EU regulations, yes.
How is the process for this and how long does it take? Can i already claim it or do i need to wait until i actually did the trip?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
If only the DOH - BEY sector is cancelled the the sector from Oslo is not affected, EU261 will not cover as it only applies to a flight from the EU /other participating countries.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:29 am
Original Poster

But the whole booking is affected by it. All was booked on one PNR. That does not matter?
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Ok... but still. My flight OSL-DOH was supposed to land 00:40am, the rescheduled flight via ARN arrives 05:55am. Would that count for compensation?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by realgaga
If only the DOH - BEY sector is cancelled the the sector from Oslo is not affected, EU261 will not cover as it only applies to a flight from the EU /other participating countries.
No, that is not true, in my opinion - it does not matter which flight is delayed, it just matters the actual arrival time at the destination (when starting in EU and booked as one travel).
So if the delay of arrival at destination, in this case BEY, is later than in the EU regulation foreseen, a compensation is due.
On the way back, unfortunately, it would not be under EU261 regulation...
united78 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:27 am

Thanks for the reply - Norway is included in the EU regulations, yes.
How is the process for this and how long does it take? Can i already claim it or do i need to wait until i actually did the trip?
I would wait for the complaint till end of the whole journey. Anyway you’ll have 2 years time to claim.
There are many websites which are providing templates for claim letter to be send to the airline. Be prepared to get a negative answer at first time, try it a second time and if the answer is negative again you have two choices, to file a claim at court (if you have a good insurance for that) or you use one of the lawyer companies (easy to find with google) to claim your compensation. If successful they will give you around 66% to 70% of the claim sum, if not successful, no costs for you.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:28 am

But the whole booking is affected by it. All was booked on one PNR. That does not matter?
Yes it does, in my opinion
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:48 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by realgaga
I'm with the consensus here, that it is reliant on the final arrival time.

There was a recent case regarding EK, and I believe the judge found in favour of the passenger.

While I appreciate this is a QR query, I would recommend you have a read through the BA EU261 thread, as it is an absolute wealth of knowledge - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

M
toctoc and Traveller999 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
QR428 seems to be cancelled on Monday and Tuesday. The next available flight is QR418 arriving at 11:20am
What I don't understand is why you have to change your European flight from OSL-DOH to OSL-ARN-DOH and get on that same QR418.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by brunos
QR428 seems to be cancelled on Monday and Tuesday. The next available flight is QR418 arriving at 11:20am
What I don't understand is why you have to change your European flight from OSL-DOH to OSL-ARN-DOH and get on that same QR418.
more miles ?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Ok... but still. My flight OSL-DOH was supposed to land 00:40am, the rescheduled flight via ARN arrives 05:55am. Would that count for compensation?
Wait till it's done, then run things by one of no-win/no-fee claim agencies. Most will let you know if they're willing to take the case - if they are, you can give them the work, or you can go it alone. If they won't touch it, best to leave it unless you have the time, patience and energy to pursue it further.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
more miles ?
The difference is the transfer time in DOH- less than 2 hours instead of more than 7 hours. They said they would not be able to book me a hotel room and i did not want to spend the night in the lounge. Well and my journey starts a bit later as well - meaning less travel time.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The difference is the transfer time in DOH- less than 2 hours instead of more than 7 hours. They said they would not be able to book me a hotel room and i did not want to spend the night in the lounge. Well and my journey starts a bit later as well - meaning less travel time.
I respect your choice.
But I would never have made it. The only benefit is to leave OSL one hour later. But you have flight time, stress and risk of misconnect for you or your bags.
What if your SK flight i delayed or bags go missing? What if your ARN-DOH is severly delayed (you have less than two hours transfer time)?
And the voluntary change of itin might reduce your chance to get compensation as QR already paid for the SK ticket.

Last edited by brunos; Nov 12, 2018 at 3:45 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.