Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Upgraded, Downgraded, and an aircraft change

Old Oct 30, 18, 5:03 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

A new one for me, and a query as to whether I can claim anything back.

I was booked on QR9 on 31/10, DOH-LHR. The service was scheduled to be operated by an A380, and I had a revenue ticket in J.

At PEN, prior to my flight to DOH, I was told that I had been upgraded from 11A to 2K on my DOH-LHR flight.

On arrival into DOH, all looked fine, but 90mins before departure, there was a gate change - and subsequently an aircraft change from an A380 to a 77W.

My 2K F seat, became a 2K J seat - and I got what I paid for.

However, thinking about it, am I entitled to some sort of downgrade payment? Alternatively, could I claim BAEC TPs and Avios (it was a BA flight numbered ticket) for F opposed to J?

I'm curious more than grabby, but wondered what the forum thought.

M
Old Oct 30, 18, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
However, thinking about it, am I entitled to some sort of downgrade payment?
To set things straight, I reckon you should be refunded exactly what you paid for the UG.
Goaguy, nilsfr69, NoY and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 18, 9:49 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
A new one for me, and a query as to whether I can claim anything back.

I was booked on QR9 on 31/10, DOH-LHR. The service was scheduled to be operated by an A380, and I had a revenue ticket in J.

At PEN, prior to my flight to DOH, I was told that I had been upgraded from 11A to 2K on my DOH-LHR flight.

On arrival into DOH, all looked fine, but 90mins before departure, there was a gate change - and subsequently an aircraft change from an A380 to a 77W.

My 2K F seat, became a 2K J seat - and I got what I paid for.

However, thinking about it, am I entitled to some sort of downgrade payment? Alternatively, could I claim BAEC TPs and Avios (it was a BA flight numbered ticket) for F opposed to J?

M
I do not think that a downgrade from an operational upgrade will entitle you to any form of compensation.
Possibly the aircraft change was known already and that was the reason for the seat change, maybe wrong communicated by the staff at checkin?
Old Oct 30, 18, 11:46 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Just a possibility, without knowing enough: could the agent at PEN have been confused and the 2K you were given was the 77W seat 2K all along? Or did you get an F class boarding pass in PEN?

-A
Old Oct 31, 18, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by florin View Post
To set things straight, I reckon you should be refunded exactly what you paid for the UG.
Haha! The Tier Points are what I want, above any financial difference (which would be so minimal!).

Originally Posted by Traveller999 View Post
I do not think that a downgrade from an operational upgrade will entitle you to any form of compensation.
Possibly the aircraft change was known already and that was the reason for the seat change, maybe wrong communicated by the staff at checkin?
There was chaos at the boarding gate, and the plane left without a number of passengers (including a number of downgrades from J to Y).

This, and the fact that when I asked to see the Seatmap 90mins before departure, make me think it was a last minute aircraft swap.

Originally Posted by ph-ndr View Post
Just a possibility, without knowing enough: could the agent at PEN have been confused and the 2K you were given was the 77W seat 2K all along? Or did you get an F class boarding pass in PEN?

-A
I didn't get an F boarding pass, but was shown on the screen at PEN that I was sat in the F cabin upstairs.

It's an odd scenario.

M
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 18, 1:59 am

Well opups never get the points of the higher cabin except by fault so I’d say you’re due nothing. Now if you had an F BP you could have tried to send it to BA.
Old Oct 31, 18, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
I had a revenue ticket in J.
While I understand the theoretical nature of your enquiry, ‘at circa 800’ (to quote from your post # 1 of the Satay thread) I’d just be grateful for what I had and let matters rest. You’ve already earned a shed load of TPs (and hopefully enjoyed some great QR in-flight service) for next to nothing.

NoY and kaffir76 like this.
Old Oct 31, 18, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer View Post
Well opups never get the points of the higher cabin except by fault so Id say youre due nothing. Now if you had an F BP you could have tried to send it to BA.
That's a good point, and something I'd forgotten.

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post
While I understand the theoretical nature of your enquiry, at circa 800 (to quote from your post # 1 of the Satay thread) Id just be grateful for what I had and let matters rest. Youve already earned a shed load of TPs (and hopefully enjoyed some great QR in-flight service) for next to nothing.
Oh I completely agree, hence my curiosity in the situation opposed to complaining about it.

M
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 18, 4:36 am

Programs: BA - Gold

the plane left without a number of passengers (including a number of downgrades from J to Y).
Is that typical of PEN? Sounds far from ideal. I'm flying J PEN > DOH in December and wouldn't appreciate that too much!
Old Oct 31, 18, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tb10 View Post
Is that typical of PEN? Sounds far from ideal. I'm flying J PEN > DOH in December and wouldn't appreciate that too much!
No - the impacted passengers were on the down gauged DOH-LHR nothing to do with the PEN service
spicysoup likes this.
Old Oct 31, 18, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold

M
I assume this was the 800 ticket !? I'd be grateful for whatever I got!
Old Oct 31, 18, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tb10 View Post
As has already been said, the downgrades were on the DOH-LHR flight.

Out of PEN, J was 11/22 and Y was half full.

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
I assume this was the 800 ticket !? I'd be grateful for whatever I got!
It was indeed, and I was initally amazed at the Upgrade!

M
Traveller999 and spicysoup like this.
Old Nov 1, 18, 12:05 pm

Programs: qr
Did you get q suite on downgraded aircraft on DOH -LHR sector?
Old Nov 1, 18, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tav1989 View Post
Did you get q suite on downgraded aircraft on DOH -LHR sector?
Nope - just a normal 777.

M
Old Nov 2, 18, 1:37 pm

Programs: QR Plat
I didn't get an F boarding pass, but was shown on the screen at PEN that I was sat in the F cabin upstairs.
You'll just have to travel in J, like us other phesants.
-A

Search this Thread
Search Engine: