Wiki Posts
Search

Switching tickets at Doha

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Switching tickets at Doha

Hi All

I am looking for some advice about changing an itinerary I have and implications of doing so.

At present I am mid trip having flown Oslo – Doha – Sydney. It is on my return trip currently booked as Auckland – Doha – Oslo departing 13th November arriving Oslo 14th November where I would like to change my journey as I now need to be Edinburgh early on the 14th. It would not be possible to get there using my existing booking until very late on the 14th.

To change the last leg of my ticket flying direct from Doha to Edinburgh will cost c. £2k which isn’t viable. However, there are miles seats available, but this would mean booking a separate ticket and forgoing the last leg of my booked journey to Oslo. My scheduled arrival into Doha is 00:05, the departure to Edinburgh is at 01:15. What advice can you offer on this? I appreciate this is a short and risky transfer window, but would I be OK to go straight to the Edinburgh flight assuming I was checked in and had my boarding pass? Are there any clearance or security considerations?

Any advice gratefully received.

Best wishes,
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:07 pm

I assume that you do not have any baggage to check in?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
I assume that you do not have any baggage to check in?
Hi FlyingScientist - No checked bags. Just hand baggage. Thanks
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:32 pm

AKL-DOH appears to have a decent arrival record (the longest delay over the recent months was 40 mins), and the scheduled flight time is about to be stretched by 10 min. Therefore, the chances to arrive later than 0:35 seem negligibly small, which should leave sufficient time for making the connection.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again. And if I am checked in for the flight to edinburgh and have my boarding pass shall I be ok that I did not initially start my journey landside at Doha?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
There will be a problem where you will be marked a no show at Doha since you never showed up at check in. And, you won’t get past the departure gates without the paper BP.
Best way is to arrive and go straight to transit ticket counter so that you can physically complete check in and get a BP. You’ll be cutting it close, but get that done first before crossing from arrivals area to departures area.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks Tokyoite,most helpful. Have you experienced this situation before? I will have a paper boarding pass in hand before i depart for Doha, so I guess I can explain at the transfer desk my plans changed?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:31 am

Being booked on two flights both due to be flying at the same time may result in "computer says no" and your OSL flight being re-priced (and payment required) before they issue a EDI boarding pass.

I don't know how QR systems deal with this, but the two flight issue does get discussed on ft and can cause problems.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by drkaboobi
Thanks Tokyoite,most helpful. Have you experienced this situation before? I will have a paper boarding pass in hand before i depart for Doha, so I guess I can explain at the transfer desk my plans changed?
you would have to. Whatever paper boarding pass you may have that is not validated at Doha will end up with you being a no show. I’ve had a flight connection on QR at BKK where I booked the two flights separately, and it was total confusion when I showed up at the gate, since I hadn’t showed up at check in desk but had passed security all the way to the gate. I luckily got bumped up to business class because my seat had already been assigned to a standby passenger and the economy class was full.
Same for a connection at SIN to HKG on United. United almost denied me boarding at the gate since “their check in systems had closed for this flight and passenger manifesto already sent out to the authorities”
same for yet another on Asiana at ICN.....

in your case though, with two concurrent departures from Doha, you need to get creative to;
1. “Miss your onward journey” on your original ticket
2. Avoid a cancellation of your new ticket

1. Explain at transit counter that you have just been informed of a family emergency and want to be offloaded from your current ticket (the one you came in with). Then tell them you booked a last minute ticket (your new one) and need to validate check in.

2. Book the second ticket with any of your particulars slightly different from the first ticket. Your address/ nationality/ phone number/ names (first middle last name in a different combination). Things that can be “rectified” at transit counter without impacting your ticket itself. makes it harder to flag your two tickets as being the same person. And of course, don’t put the same FFP number on both tickets!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:44 am
R2

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
And of course, don’t put the same FFP number on both tickets!!!!!!!!
IME this is critical. If you have the same FFP number in both bookings they will definitely notice it and you're potentially in trouble.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:31 am

Some years ago (2013 or 2014) I had a similar problem. I had to go to MAN rather than my original return to CPH.
I had no problems buying and using a DOH-MAN ticket together with my original CPH-HKG-CPH ticket.
To me the solution was simple: I cancelled the DOH-CPH sector just before check-in opened! While there were a few raised eyebrows at HKG airport and it required supervisor help, both I and my baggage arrived at MAN with no problems.
All my details were the same so no problems with identity and Qmiles etc.
However I did not request a refund for the DOH-CPH leg since it would have almost certainly resulted in QR sending me a bill for breaking a cheap J excursion fare.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Excellent feedback, clearly this is not without various risks. My original booking was cash and linked to BAEC and the new booking with be Avios linked to my same BAEC where the miles reside. Can’t see a way around them having the same ffp number attached?

Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:11 am
R2

Maybe you can remove your BAEC number from the original booking on QR's website MMB. Then fly AKL-DOH without any FFP number attached to it and later retroclaim the points...if you're lucky you might even get points for DOH-OSL as well, although not likely.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
I suggest booking later EDI flight. If you check latest QR921 history, flight is more often delayed than on time. I have 1h10min change due to schedule change since I bought ticket and I don't think I will make it. AKL flight seems to be late by 10-40minutes. If you add bus transfer from AKL flight or both flights, it will be extremely difficult to make it to 1.15 EDI flight. Not to mention other issue like two tickets and no show.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the sound feedback and advice folks.

i deduced the bet would be 50/50 on trying to catch the edinburgh flight. In the end I’ve payed £375 to shift my original itinerary a day earlier and have sorted a way to Edinburgh from there. No situation was idea but this is foolproof in terms of getting where I need to be when I need to be there.

regards
nilsfr69 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.