Wiki Posts
Search

Doha MCT advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
Doha MCT advice

We are a family of four transiting Doha (QR943 to QR171) with 65 minutes transit time thanks to a recent schedule change. We don’t know Doha airport at all and just looking for reassurance that it’s doable and any advice on the transit process. I realise the MCT is 45 mins but it still feels tight. We are travelling in J and British nationals. Thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:33 pm

Ruth4325 look at the Wiki on short connections which will provide all the information you are looking for. Do follow the links since information is also available there.
You may wish to look at the QR Forum Dashboard where much useful information is easily available.
You will find that the Wiki on About Doha Airport is especially useful.
You should have absolutely no problem with the connection. The last time I had a 65 minute connection I was able to spend 25 minutes in the lounge. You will probably not have that chance since you do not know the airport well.
Ruth4325 and purple1addict like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Ruth4325
We are a family of four transiting Doha (QR943 to QR171) with 65 minutes transit time thanks to a recent schedule change. We don’t know Doha airport at all and just looking for reassurance that it’s doable and any advice on the transit process. I realise the MCT is 45 mins but it still feels tight. We are travelling in J and British nationals. Thanks!
My father used to tell me to "Look it up!" when I asked him what a word meant. Let me just give you some hopefully helpful information instead of telling you where you can find it yourself.

65 minutes should be plenty of time. That said, don't dawdle. The airport is large and spread out; and getting from a remote gate at one end of the airport to one at the other end takes a while. Of course, the odds of your ending up with those gate assignments are small. Here's some information you'll hopefully find helpful, bulleted because it's easier to write them that way.
  • Don't panic about transfer security screening. It will most likely take you longer to walk from the plane to transfer screening than the actual screening process will take. Transfer security at DOH is pretty efficient, even more so since you're traveling in J. There are separate screening stations for J passengers. There are usually lots of screening stations open, and I find the staff helpful. It moves along quickly. Once you're through security screening, don't dawdle. collect your things, take the escalator downstairs, and start heading towards your gate.
  • Certain flights are selected on a daily basis to bypass transfer security. There's no way to predict which flights they will be on any particular day. If you're on one of these flights, you'll be directed right from the plane directly back into the departures gates area. Then just look for your gate assignment on one of the TV screens and start walking.
  • Basically all gate areas have moving sidewalks. Depending on how you use them, it will either reduce your walking time or let you stand there relaxed while the moving sidewalk does the transiting work for you!
  • You do not have enough time to visit a lounge, unless, possibly, your inbound flight is very early, or your outbound is late. Same with duty free shopping.
  • Since you're not going to the U.S., it is most unlikely that there's be another security screening at the gate.
Bottom line? Don't go into panic mode, you should be just fine. But don't dawdle, either.
Ruth4325 likes this.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Oct 24, 2018 at 12:52 am
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
I have completed this transfer a few times with similar, or even shorter transfers times. As others have said don't dawdle, but you will make the connection in time.
Ruth4325 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.