FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Difficulty pricing a multi-city itinerary between 3 continents (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1935483-difficulty-pricing-multi-city-itinerary-between-3-continents.html)

zip10001 Oct 13, 2018 6:57 pm

Difficulty pricing a multi-city itinerary between 3 continents

Hi,

Trying to plan a trip to Southern India next month.
On the Qatar airways US site, when I try to load a multi-city itinerary in J:
CDG-DOH-MAA on November 8
and COK-DOH-JFK on November 17
no price / availability is displayed. I also tried other cities in India, and ORD or YUL instead of JFK.
When I try the one-way leg one by one, it works fine. I would rather book a multi-city ticket as I assume it would be cheaper than 2 one-way tickets.
Has anyone encountered a similar issue? Any workaround?
Thank you!

Dr. HFH Oct 13, 2018 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by zip10001 (Post 30312574)
CDG-DOH-MAA on November 8
and COK-DOH-JFK on November 17

What makes this a single itinerary? Seems to me that you have two one-ways.

Ikraamk Oct 14, 2018 12:41 am

I recently booked a multi city booking and you need to select flights and then the price is shown. If you not seeing availability maybe they don't have flights for that particular destination?

crackjack Oct 14, 2018 1:33 am

Such itineraries used to be bookable via Qatar’s website till sometime in 2016, from Country A to Country B, then return leg going to Country C.

It appears that they have removed the ability to book such tickets back in 2016-ish.

Dr. HFH Oct 14, 2018 1:46 am

It's not a multi-city itinerary. It's an open jaw. Big difference.

Matt4 Oct 14, 2018 4:07 am

Many airlines, QR included, fare rules have a restriction preventing customers from buying an open jaw ticket with a super long (JFK-CDG) open segment :

MILEAGE OF THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE EQUAL/LESS THAN
MILEAGE OF THE SHORTEST FLOWN FARE COMPONENT.
So if you don't want to buy 2 super expensive one-way JFK-DOH-COK + MAA-DOH-CDG, you might consider buying two separate tickets (and plan with a long connecting time, idealy 1 night, between your 2 separate tickets) :
1-CDG-DOH-MAA/COK-DOH-Europe
2-Europe-JFK

Dr. HFH Oct 14, 2018 4:19 am

COK-MAA is only about a 70 minute flight. Why not just fly it if it's that much cheaper than two one-ways?

Matt4 Oct 14, 2018 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 30313568)
COK-MAA is only about a 70 minute flight. Why not just fly it if it's that much cheaper than two one-ways?

The problem is not COK-MAA but CDG-JFK open segment.

Matt4 Oct 14, 2018 4:37 am

To avoid paying exepensive one-way J fares, one of the tricks is to book a return or open jaw ticket, with a throw away return in Y :
In op case :
CDG-DOH-MAA in J on Nov 8 + throw away return in Y DEL-DOH-EVN on Nov 14 = $1639 instead of $2734 for CDG-DOH-MAA one-way in J
COK-DOH-JFK in J on Nov 17 + throw away return in Y MIA-DOH-BOM on Nov 28 = $2605 instead of $2902 for COK-DOH-JFK one-way in J
You can even expect some $$ refunded when you cancel your throw away return (do it after having flown the outbound and before the date of the return flight).

Phil the Flyer Oct 14, 2018 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Matt4 (Post 30313608)
To avoid paying exepensive one-way J fares, one of the tricks is to book a return or open jaw ticket, with a throw away return in Y :

Matt4 - thank you for teaching this old dog a new trick! After 14 years on FT I thought I knew practically all the tricks there were to know, but your tip has somehow evaded me until now. ^

zip10001 Oct 14, 2018 5:58 am

Many thanks for all the replies! @Matt4: Awesome!

crackjack Oct 14, 2018 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4 (Post 30313550)
Many airlines, QR included, fare rules have a restriction preventing customers from buying an open jaw ticket with a super long (JFK-CDG) open segment :

Perhaps Qatar amended their rules recently? I rechecked, and such Open-jaw tickets were possible until at least August *2017*.

I had to fly to Bombay for a friend’s wedding, before flying BOM-DOH-JFK-DOH-KUL last year, and booked the ticket through Qatar’s website... this same route now does not appear to be bookable.

Matt4 Oct 15, 2018 12:39 am

Originally Posted by crackjack (Post 30316151)
Perhaps Qatar amended their rules recently?

Yes they did it for the routes/fares on which that restriction was not already in place but I can’t tell exactly when it happened.