A350 to B777 - is this a downgrade?

Old Oct 10, 18, 6:23 am
Original Poster

A350 to B777 - is this a downgrade?

Just had a look and QR 167 on Jan 27 (DOH-ARN) has now changed form being a A350-900 to a Boeing 777-300ER. Not sure of the version but the seats are now 2-2-2 in J (42 in total) and the config doesn't appear to be the Q-Suites as they are all in a row and not staggered. They've put me in 2K which is fine but I sense this is a comedown from the A350?

Unless it's a temp measure before another change to a Q-suite aircraft?

Last edited by PAL62V; Oct 10, 18 at 6:39 am
Old Oct 10, 18, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by PAL62V View Post
Just had a look and QR 167 on Jan 27 (DOH-ARN) has now changed form being a A350-900 to a Boeing 777-300ER. Not sure of the version but the seats are now 2-2-2 in J (42 in total) and the config doesn't appear to be the Q-Suites as they are all in a row and not staggered. They've put me in 2K which is fine but I sense this is a comedown from the A350?
The answer is a definitive "it depends." Some people really like the 2-2-2 on the 77x and/or 346 aircraft. If you're one of them, the change could be great for you. I'm not, and much prefer the newer, 1-2-1, J products, even without QSuites. The 359 and 388 J products are excellent IMO. Window seats are very private, as good as or better than most F products, IMO.
Old Oct 10, 18, 9:48 am

Count me as one of those who prefers the older 777 flatbeds to the new herringbones... just a much more comfortable experience, even if a bit less privacy.

It makes a big difference for me, at 6’ and size 11 feet; I’d think anyone taller would have even more issues. The space in the herringbones seats’ footwell just does not feel like enough...

Of course, if I were travelling solo, I’d pick one of the middle aisle seats, or maybe the front-most row... no one trying to climb over you or issues getting out.
Old Oct 10, 18, 9:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I like Dr. HFH’s take on this.

I’m not adverse to the 77W with Diamond seats at all, but I’d never take A or K on a lengthy flight. E or F for me, thank you. Row 2 or 3 are bonus.
Old Oct 10, 18, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks folks - so I am travelling alone and it's a long sector. Looks like I may be better moving to one of the centre pair? I guess that way I have aisle access and nobody climbing over me like on the BA configuration in J?
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 10, 18, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
I like Dr. HFH’s take on this.

I’m not adverse to the 77W with Diamond seats at all, but I’d never take A or K on a lengthy flight. E or F for me, thank you. Row 2 or 3 are bonus.
I don't think there are 77Ws with Diamond seats. A332s either have Minipods or Diamonds, 77Ws either have Minipods or Qsuites.
And can we at least all agree that QR's Diamond seats are horrible?
Old Oct 11, 18, 4:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by makrom View Post
I don't think there are 77Ws with Diamond seats. A332s either have Minipods or Diamonds, 77Ws either have Minipods or Qsuites.
And can we at least all agree that QR's Diamond seats are horrible?
You’re correct, the B/E Aerospace Minipod, not Diamond. I’d still go with E or F for privacy and no climbing / being climbed over.
Old Oct 11, 18, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
You’re correct, the B/E Aerospace Minipod, not Diamond. I’d still go with E or F for privacy and no climbing / being climbed over.
Personally I prefer the window seats. I made it kind of an art to leap to the aisle without touching anyone or make any excessive noise. And most of the time, I actually had a free aisle seat next to me. But I totally understand why not everyone shares this preference.
The middle seats are definitely the most accessible while not blocking anyone, but they feel a bit exposed to me. I don't dislike the Minipod seats but the ones that QR chose basically have no dividers. That slider between seats is almost comical. Why even bother installing it if it only extends for a measly 2"? Always makes me think that something must be stuck.
Old Oct 11, 18, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K&1.88MM, MR lifetime Gold, HZ PC,
I noticed the same change for my ARN-DOH and DOH-ARN segments in December. Had been looking forward to flying the QR A359 (have only flown SQ's thus far) but I'm pretty certain I'll prefer the Minipod on the 77W. Hopefully the QSuite to SYD doesn't get subbed out though.

Looks like only the red-eye retains the Airbus (with QSuites) for now. Not expecting this to change again before December, but while this isn't TG, you still never know. I've only flown QR a couple of times before (always in F) so looking forward to the whole experience.
Old Oct 11, 18, 10:00 pm

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
In the last two solo flights I did and which happened to be a 777 (i.e., 2-2-2 configuration), I booked and checked in online in one of the central E or F seats. Once at the airport, I went to the check-in desk to enquire about any free window seat with no one sitting in the adjacent aisle seat and changed to that. Unless the flight is full, I find that that works very well. In both occasions, I got either 1A or 1K. Once, someone sat next to me (1J when I was in 1K) but the passenger requested to be moved to another seat and I was happily left on my own.
crackjack likes this.
Old Oct 12, 18, 2:56 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by cricketer View Post
I noticed the same change for my ARN-DOH and DOH-ARN segments in December. Had been looking forward to flying the QR A359 (have only flown SQ's thus far) but I'm pretty certain I'll prefer the Minipod on the 77W. Hopefully the QSuite to SYD doesn't get subbed out though.

Looks like only the red-eye retains the Airbus (with QSuites) for now. Not expecting this to change again before December, but while this isn't TG, you still never know. I've only flown QR a couple of times before (always in F) so looking forward to the whole experience.
Same thing has happened returning from Oz on February 14 2019. The A350 been replaced with 771 with minipods on the DOH-MAN leg. I had hoped it was to be the Qsuites. I know that Qatar does effect equipment swaps , and seasoned posters do warn us not to book for a particular kind of aircraft, but it remains hugely disappointing, nevertheless.

Last edited by cosmos57; Oct 12, 18 at 2:57 am Reason: spelling error
Old Oct 12, 18, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by BlueEgg View Post
In the last two solo flights I did and which happened to be a 777 (i.e., 2-2-2 configuration), I booked and checked in online in one of the central E or F seats. Once at the airport, I went to the check-in desk to enquire about any free window seat with no one sitting in the adjacent aisle seat and changed to that. Unless the flight is full, I find that that works very well.
I don't do that until I'm onboard and the door is closed. Then I ask cabin crew if I can change (they always say yes with a smile) if there's a pair of window seats unoccupied. The reason is that there is always the possibility of a last minute ticket sale. That's why I wait until the door is closed.
Old Oct 17, 18, 5:03 am

Taking this same flight in March 2019 and just noticed the change as well. Do you think the 777 will be equipped with QSuites by then?
Old Oct 17, 18, 5:23 am

From what I can see on QR cargo flight 27 DOH-MAN changes to an older style 771 from 1 December onward whilst the other 2 weekday flights retain an A350 and B78 respectively.
Old Oct 17, 18, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by cosmos57 View Post
From what I can see on QR cargo flight 27 DOH-MAN changes to an older style 771 from 1 December onward whilst the other 2 weekday flights retain an A350 and B78 respectively.
Oh sorry, I meant the same flight the initial post was about, so QR167 - DOH-ARN