AAB threatens to leave oneworld

Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
He's a verrry smart person, and a strategic thinker. I have no doubt that he knows exactly what he's doing with regard to his public and private positioning vis-ŕ-vis OneWorld.
He may or may not have done the things you claim, either solo or with a team contributing, but his behaviour means he often comes across as the town clown or village idiot. Until he sorts that out it's a reputation he's going to be stuck with.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by T.A.Music
AAB may be a smart person, but if he wants QR to really quitting oneworld, why can't he just dropped the bomb in all sudden rather than just spouting threats?
What makes you think that that's what he really wants? My guess? He's just playing the OneWorld members to get something. I've said it before, but don't underestimate him.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by ft101
He may or may not have done the things you claim, either solo or with a team contributing, but his behavior means he often comes across as the town clown or village idiot. Until he sorts that out it's a reputation he's going to be stuck with.
I second that. If I'm AAB, I'd prefer to discuss whatever feud QR and AA/QF have in private, not shouting it out in public (tantrum-throwing sometimes won't get us anywhere). I'm gonna be like, "Let's laid it down on the table, Parker, Joyce. I'm OK with not taking a stake in your company but let it be known that I have my own share at the [oneworld] table. If we want to be civil or at least act civil to one another, especially the fact that we're living under the oneworld charter, let's talk and seek the middle path."

What makes you think that that's what he really wants? My guess? He's just playing the OneWorld members to get something. I've said it before, but don't underestimate him.
I'm actually not, but people started to get tired. Here are one of the receipts.

But the problem is that Al Baker is the boy who cried wolf. He has been threatening to leave the alliance for four of the six years his airline has been in it, so at some point the threat loses credibility.

- Ben Schlappig, March 6, 2019
https://onemileatatime.com/qatar-air...ld-withdrawal/
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by #1son
AAB = The Boy Who Cried Wolf

this moniker for AAB was mentioned a few months earlier ;-)
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:06 pm

What happens?

as luck would have it.... first time looking at booking with Qatar and it’s codeshare partners. Now I don’t know what to do - what would happen if they pulled out. Im coming from Canada so lots of logistics involved with planning!
Im booking business class for vacation for my wife and myself and it’s not like I have dough to throw around! Ugh! What do do?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Bravada04
as luck would have it.... first time looking at booking with Qatar and it’s codeshare partners. Now I don’t know what to do - what would happen if they pulled out. Im coming from Canada so lots of logistics involved with planning!
Im booking business class for vacation for my wife and myself and it’s not like I have dough to throw around! Ugh! What do do?
What specifically is your concern?

As has been repeatedly mentioned in this thread, if QR leaves OneWorld, it would likely take quite some time (easily a year), so odds are that your flights would happen when QR is still a member. Should QR leave OneWorld before your flights, you would still have a valid ticket and be able to fly it. You might not be able to credit the flights to earn frequent flyer points, miles, or status credits, depending on which program you wished to credit towards.
crackjack likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by Bravada04
As the above poster already mentioned, nothing to do, just relax and think how to enjoy your next QR/OW trip, here it is just a threat and speculations that is going on since long, nothing happened yet and nobody knows whether it will ever happen and when.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by anabolism
What specifically is your concern?

As has been repeatedly mentioned in this thread, if QR leaves OneWorld, it would likely take quite some time (easily a year), so odds are that your flights would happen when QR is still a member. Should QR leave OneWorld before your flights, you would still have a valid ticket and be able to fly it. You might not be able to credit the flights to earn frequent flyer points, miles, or status credits, depending on which program you wished to credit towards.
i have nine months of nervousness still to go, as I will need the TPs from our QR booking!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
i have nine months of nervousness still to go, as I will need the TPs from our QR booking!
No need to be nervous; QR's not leaving OW within the next nine months.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
No need to be nervous; QR's not leaving OW within the next nine months.
In which case I shall continue to anticipate the experience with pleasure.

If you are proven wrong, I would note we have friends and contacts in the USA!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
AAB "unikely" to leave QR? Ah, chongcao, you are, indeed, a master of understatement. He has singlehandedly built a powerhouse of an airline from nearly nothing, perhaps even more so than Bob Crandall did at AA. He personally designed what is likely the world's leading J hard product, at least for now. J catering is generally acknowledged to be way ahead of competition in J. The redesign of Y seats will make QR a leader there, too. He's also been a leader in strategies to develop Qatari tourism in the face of a boycott that was intended to bring the country to its knees and could have been devastating. He has complete control in his portfolio and the Al Thani family seems to love him.

He's a verrry smart person, and a strategic thinker. I have no doubt that he knows exactly what he's doing with regard to his public and private positioning vis-ŕ-vis OneWorld.
And you, Dr. HFH, are adding embellishment to your skills

Credit where credit is due: HE Akbar Al Bakar has undoubted management skills. But these skills were honed within the very rare environment of Qatar: I'm not sure how they would stand up in the wider world.

He has certainly done little single-handedly, nor would he be expected to do so. Cash provided him with an army of consultants, and the ability to employ teams of first-rate managers to implement his vision.

He operates within parameters set by the owners of the airline. While he is clearly trusted and valued in terms of the advice he gives his patrons, he is not in a position to make major decisions regarding the external policies of Qatar the state or Qatar the airline.

I have no idea at all of his emotional attachment to the ruling family, but he is quite evidently a trusted steward. His off the cuff comments have caused diplomatic embarrassment, but he has been quick to defuse these situations.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
And you, Dr. HFH, are adding embellishment to your skills
Oh, that's something I try to avoid; but it wouldn't be the first time!

Credit where credit is due: HE Akbar Al Bakar has undoubted management skills. But these skills were honed within the very rare environment of Qatar: I'm not sure how they would stand up in the wider world.
I completely agree. He's definitely an autocrat; and that's how he runs the airline. He'd be hard pressed to operate like that in the western world, what with unions, employee rights, and the like.

He has certainly done little single-handedly, nor would he be expected to do so. Cash provided him with an army of consultants, and the ability to employ teams of first-rate managers to implement his vision.
Well, sure, though I'm less certain of how much he relies on outside consultants. But no question that he has teams of managers to implement his vision. My point, however, was that QR is indeed, the embodiment of his vision.

He operates within parameters set by the owners of the airline. While he is clearly trusted and valued in terms of the advice he gives his patrons, he is not in a position to make major decisions regarding the external policies of Qatar the state or Qatar the airline.
Of course he's not setting state policy. But look at the power he's been given. He runs the airline, airport and tourism authority. When the blockade was implemented, he was given fairly free reign to get people going to Qatar again, as well as develop and implement strategies to bring in all the goods which had previously come in overland from Saudi, and he pulled it off.

... he is quite evidently a trusted steward.
This is what I meant/was talking about.

His off the cuff comments have caused diplomatic embarrassment, but he has been quick to defuse these situations.
As I've said before, I think that none of the potentially embarrassing comments was inadvertent. My impression is that he's very deliberate and planful.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
When the blockade was implemented, he was given fairly free reign to get people going to Qatar again, as well as develop and implement strategies to bring in all the goods which had previously come in overland from Saudi, and he pulled it off.
He's certainly secretary-general of the National Tourism Council; and he's group chief executive of Qatar Airways Group, which includes both the airline and the airport, so he's certainly done well.

But you might be over-egging it, and putting some sheikly noses out of joint in the process, by suggesting he was responsible for the mammoth logistical task of coordinating an emergency import strategy for everything from dairy products to building supplies. His airline was most certainly a conduit for many goods, but i think there was a little more behind the plan than arranging transport.

Again, I'm not belittling the man's very real achievements, just attempting to put them in perspective.

... I think that none of the potentially embarrassing comments was inadvertent. My impression is that he's very deliberate and planful.
I'm not sure what his planful objective might have been in the toe-curling comments about the ability of women to run airlines.

And remember his swipe at American Airlines, conflating crap service with the carrier's grandmother cabin crew?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

His airline was most certainly a conduit for many goods, but i think there was a little more behind the plan than arranging transport.
Agreed. But transportation was the link that was cut, and he cobbled a new solution back together.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:20 am

Any updates on this? Or another AAB empty threat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.