Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAB threatens to leave oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Well, I can’t imagine either BA or QR would wish to give up the joint business venture - especially as QR now owns part of IAG... I would expect codesharing to continue - which would presumably mean BAEC tier points (and avios) for bookings on BA codes at the very least.

My personal opinion is that this discussion is all academic anyway - I think AAB is using the media attention to express his displeasure with AA / QF and trying to force some hands with his threats.

Don't forget that Air Italy ("QR lite") also uses the avios scheme and there is no sign as yet that it won't continue to do so. Currently you can't use qmiles to book Air Italy flights but you can use avios - so, if anything, I think we're headed towards closer cooperation and/or integration further down the line...
florin and imkevinmc like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Some person
I don't think it goes that fast. CZ left Skyteam with a few months' prior notice, but still seems to earn to Skyteam programmes, at least to AF/KL and SU. If QR leaves Oneworld, then it will probably take a while before anything happens.
I am not sure that the situation of CZ with ST is as good as you state regarding status points for AF/KL program..
https://www.flyingblue.fr/en/partner...s/presentation

My reading is that XP (equivalent to TP in BAEC) can only be earned on CZ-marketed flights if operated by a ST partner. My reading might be wrong, but it would suggest that status (and maybe miles) cannot be earned on most CZ flights, but spending still works.
Of course, a AF marketed flight operated by CZ (codeshare) would still work for Flying Blue (AF program).

CZ announcement was very sudden, but it took place at the time of renewal of their ST contract. I have no idea how OW works and what are the contractual arrangements.and the advanced notice that has to be given.
QR joined OW on 29 october 2013 and it would be interesting to know the duration of the contract, whether there is an opt-out clause, etc...

Regarding BA, the minimal arrangements in case QR leaves OW would to be to increase the number of BA codeshares on QR metal. Currently there is a dozen+ codeshares DOH-XXX. BA might add all XXX where they don't fly. But I strongly doubt that they would codeshare on QR flights from EU or US.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC
I don't think it goes that fast. CZ left Skyteam with a few months' prior notice, but still seems to earn to Skyteam programmes, at least to AF/KL and SU. If QR leaves Oneworld, then it will probably take a while before anything happens.
CZ announced on the 15th Nov 2018 that it would not renew it's membership as of 1st Jan 2019. You can continue to earn and burn during 2019 during transition which is expected to complete by the end of 2019. The official announcement is here

If you think about it most airlines sell tickets 10 to 12 months ahead so 12 months of transition will typically be required for any airline to exit an alliance smoothly. So like others have said, even if QR do announce their notice to quit, it will take at least 12 months for an orderly exit.
T8191 and crackjack like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
I am not sure that the situation of CZ with ST is as good as you state regarding status points for AF/KL program..
https://www.flyingblue.fr/en/partner...s/presentation

My reading is that XP (equivalent to TP in BAEC) can only be earned on CZ-marketed flights if operated by a ST partner. My reading might be wrong, but it would suggest that status (and maybe miles) cannot be earned on most CZ flights, but spending still works.
Of course, a AF marketed flight operated by CZ (codeshare) would still work for Flying Blue (AF program).
Hm. Flying Blue shows a Skyteam logo next to the CZ logo, so my reading is that Flying Blue hasn't been updated since CZ left Skyteam and that the information may be unreliable. CZ also mentions Skyteam at some places, for example here.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Hm. Flying Blue shows a Skyteam logo next to the CZ logo, so my reading is that Flying Blue hasn't been updated since CZ left Skyteam and that the information may be unreliable. CZ also mentions Skyteam at some places, for example here.
Indeed, a few small details on CZ (like the logo image with ST) have not been updated on FB website, and that is not surprising given that the announcement was made less than two months ago.
But the FB text itself that I linked has been changed. CZ was a full ST partner regarding earnings and spending. But it has become a simple partner with limited earnings except on CZ marketed flights operated by AFKL or any ST airline. In other words, one does not earn on most CZ flights (but can sitll spend).
Plunet refers to the "official announcement posted in November:
"SkyTeam and China Southern have agreed to work closely together to ensure a seamless transition for all customers and partners."
This statement lacks details. Nowhere does it say that FB members will continue to earn miles/XP on most CZ flight as was the case when CZ was part of ST. From some posts, it seems that CZ will keep honoring some past perks, such as lounge access for status pax of ST programs.

Anyway, CZ case might not be relevant to what will happen between QR and BA if QR leaves OW.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by brunos
But the FB text itself that I linked has been changed. CZ was a full ST partner regarding earnings and spending. But it has become a simple partner with limited earnings except on CZ marketed flights operated by AFKL or any ST airline. In other words, one does not earn on most CZ flights (but can sitll spend).
What has changed? The statements about Skyteam suggests to me that the person responsible for the text simply has forgot to update the text following the departure from Skyteam. I haven't checked what the listed flight numbers are used for. Whether they have updated the computer program which determines if a flight number gives you any points is another question.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, great ... catching up on this subject, and we’ve just booked our first QR (UK-DOH-CPT) for November for the TPs. Borderline essential for status renewal with BAEC, so now I’m somwhat worried!
Originally Posted by eugegall
Same. To achieve my first Gold status I need the TP from a trip I have lined up in October.

Fingers crossed.
Similar for my Girlfriend, though the crucial legs are on April 1st/2nd. Given the timeline of the CZ exit and the meeting in early Feb, I reckon the outbound in March is fine. Fortunately, she'd be a fairly easy 40 points short of Silver if the worst happened - but persuading her to actually fly them might be a challenge!

We also have some QR flights on an Avios reward in October - and I'd rather those didn't become entirely non-changeable due to an exit from OW either.

Given that alliances affect purchase decisions up to a year out, a year-long exit transition would seem like the sensible thing to do - but [having admittedly not followed it particularly closely] it doesn't necessarily seem that's what happened over in ST.

Like most here, I'm fairly hopeful that AAB and QR won't actually follow through on this. It seems like it would put them in a very isolated position with the blockade still cutting them off from what were supposedly some lucrative markets in the Gulf area. One would intuitively think that leaving Oneworld would have far more impact on QR than on AA or QF, though maybe that's not the case.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by jmj9905
I don't have alot of knowledge about what is or will happen. However, a thought accrued to me, If QR leaves OW would EK join?
Isn't EK's position to not join any alliances ?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: EC Silver FC Silver
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Isn't EK's position to not join any alliances ?
Indeed, Tim Cook would have to eat his words if EK were to join (accepting he probably has less say in his airline than AAB has in QR).

No chance QR would let them take their place either way. It would take a strong CEO to stick-it to a 10% shareholder (CX and LA), and a crazy one to stick-it to a 20% shareholder (BA and IB). AA's position is harder to predict, they might welcome the EK customer base despite all the lobbying.

Perhaps AAB was hoping other members would run forward and offer their support, though that was always unlikely given Qatar seem to get more out of Oneworld (credibility, preferential treatment in disregarding Oneworld member benefits, a large incentivised customer base) than they give back (limited local routes, easy status for tier point chasers like me, long haul competition to key hubs).

I hope they stay, but doubt I am alone in saying my loyalty will be with my national carrier (/short-haul dominant carrier), and their given alliance (so BA and OneWorld).
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by citytom
... Qatar seem to get more out of Oneworld ... than they give back (limited local routes, ....
That hardly seems fair. The local routes are currently limited by the concerted actions of neighboring hostile governments.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:41 pm

JamesKidd:

This is the airline business it is like the"wild west" in America. Anything goes.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: EC Silver FC Silver
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
That hardly seems fair. The local routes are currently limited by the concerted actions of neighboring hostile governments.
Not suggesting it is QR's fault. I hope they stay, even though I decided to earn my TPs with AA this year (will probably be running back to QR in tears... if they are still OW).

Last edited by citytom; Jan 17, 2019 at 3:59 am
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Not suggesting it is QR's fault. I hope they stay, even though I decided to earn my TPs with AA this year (will probably be running back to QR in tears... if they are still OW).
Have had a similar last year - mostly going west with AA rather than east with QR. Still, the option to basicallly go straight to silver with one QR trip would surely take me back ... if not for the nagging possibility of QR leaving Oneworld and leaving me TP-less. Given that my status is (almost) entirely self-funded, getting a J holiday ought to be enough, but like many on here it wouldn’t be entirely without a twinge of regret...!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:36 pm

Indeed, Tim Cook would have to eat his words if EK were to join (accepting he probably has less say in his airline than AAB has in QR).

No chance QR would let them take their place either way. It would take a strong CEO to stick-it to a 10% shareholder (CX and LA), and a crazy one to stick-it to a 20% shareholder (BA and IB). AA's position is harder to predict, they might welcome the EK customer base despite all the lobbying.

Perhaps AAB was hoping other members would run forward and offer their support, though that was always unlikely given Qatar seem to get more out of Oneworld (credibility, preferential treatment in disregarding Oneworld member benefits, a large incentivised customer base) than they give back (limited local routes, easy status for tier point chasers like me, long haul competition to key hubs).

I hope they stay, but doubt I am alone in saying my loyalty will be with my national carrier (/short-haul dominant carrier), and their given alliance (so BA and OneWorld).
Analysis of QR's benefit to Oneworld on some of the points and travel websites focus on actual destinations served by QR but not served by other Oneworld carriers and that these are limited. QR adds a lot of 1-stop route options to oneworld that are not possible without QR or only possible with a lot of backtracking. For example just because oneworld serves both Budapest and Penang, Hong Kong and Nairobi, Manchester and Karachi, Thessaloniki and Melbourne doesn't mean there are good oneworld routings between those city pairs without QR, you can repeat that between many European-Asian, Asia-African, European-African and even Asian-Asian routings.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
That seems a somewhat biassed assessment. Qatar offers a wide measure of one-stop connectivity that is simply not available with other OneWorld carriers. In part this is due to the whacky network of routes added recently: Bristol Penang anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.