Wiki Posts
Search

AAB threatens to leave oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:11 pm

The whole discussion is here: AAB threatens to leave oneworld
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
CZ mostly adds flights within China, which CX can't offer.

And HKG and CAN are 140km apart (about 160km by road) and separated by about 12 million people - suspect limited overlap in home customers given the border as well

EK is much bigger than QR on UK/EU-AU
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by moa999
EK is much bigger than QR on UK/EU-AU
Perhaps; but earlier this year I flew a roundtrip BKK-DXB-BKK in EK J on 380s for both flights. I was unimpressed with both hard and soft products, as well as the homeport lounge. QR J beats it hands down.
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Perhaps; but earlier this year I flew a roundtrip BKK-DXB-BKK in EK J on 380s for both flights. I was unimpressed with both hard and soft products, as well as the homeport lounge. QR J beats it hands down.
Yes, you are quite right with your evaluation, but is it worth a price difference of around 700 EUR at the moment (MUC - BKK - MUC)?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller999
Yes, you are quite right with your evaluation, but is it worth a price difference of around 700 EUR at the moment (MUC - BKK - MUC)?
I think we're getting a bit off track here. The reason why EK came into the discussion was because I said that QF can't fill the void that QR would leave on the Kangaroo Route, since it's a JW mainly operated by EK.
By that I didn't mean that EK doesn't have the capacity, and didn't aim at their quality either, though I tend to agree with the Dr. that they are overall somewhat inferior to QR (at least in C). But EK entering oneworld is not on the table anyway, so that discussion is moot. My point was simply that this JW lacks oneworld benefits. From a oneworld POV, QF operated by EK just as irrelevant as any other random carrier.
Just last month, my GF had a QF Y ticket, yet I as a OWE couldn't get her into any lounge since her flight was operated by EK. And if I were on such a flight, I would earn neither miles nor points, and just travel without any status. So I think QF/EK are definitely not a satisfactory replacement for QR.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by makrom
I said that QF can't fill the void that QR would leave on the Kangaroo Route, since it's a JW mainly operated by EK.
What's a JW?
Just last month, my GF had a QF Y ticket, yet I as a OWE couldn't get her into any lounge since her flight was operated by EK. And if I were on such a flight, I would earn neither miles nor points, and just travel without any status.
Do you mean QF members don't earn QF points flying a QF code operated by EK, and QF elite members get no benefits when flying QF codes operated by EK? I realize non-QF members don't earn when flying QF codes operated by EK, but I thought QF members did. I know AA members earn the same when flying AA codes on any airline.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
What's a JW?
Do you mean QF members don't earn QF points flying a QF code operated by EK, and QF elite members get no benefits when flying QF codes operated by EK? I realize non-QF members don't earn when flying QF codes operated by EK, but I thought QF members did. I know AA members earn the same when flying AA codes on any airline.
There are discussions elsewhere which indicate that AA and BA members earn points when flying on QF codeshares on EK, so it would be strange if QF members don't earn anything. QF codeshares mostly seem to be exempted from the requirement that the operating airline must be a member of Oneworld.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:41 pm

What's a JW?
JW = dyslexic version of joint venture
And yes, QF elites in particular do, but when only one program within an alliance can benefit from something, it is the exact opposite of what alliances are trying to provide. From the top of my head, I can't think of a single oneworld frequent flyer program, where members can't earn miles with at least one non-oneworld airline. But flights with these airlines would obviously not be considered to be part of oneworld.
A little anecdote about that, google flights actually considers the QF/EK codeshares to be oneworld flights, just like they do with EI (which earns with BAEC). This can be quite annoying when filtering for oneworld flights, since these false results can overlay real oneworld results in overviews.
I am not against such proprietary extensions, I'm just saying that they are unrelated to the alliance.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
As long as your ticket has a QF issued ticket and flight number you get full status credits and points with QF FF, flying EK metal/codeshare. IF your ticket is is an EK flight number and ticket issue and not a code share with QF you get about 1/3 of the points and NO status credits.

As for QR being the best J class out there...yes indeed in the air they are..super impressive and as good as most first class out there today! But I'm sorry, from my experience QR is a shambles on the ground when things go wrong especially. EK for overall consistency and dependability are better and much more professional/experienced. Further, the Al Morjan and Al Safwa lounges are the most unexciting moribund lounges I've ever spent time in. They are simply soulless. While on paper and in pictures they are super sophisticated and indeed look the part they have zero atmosphere.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:23 pm

JW = dyslexic version of joint venture
Ah, thanks, I was wracking my brain trying to figure that out :-).

A little anecdote about that, google flights actually considers the QF/EK codeshares to be oneworld flights, just like they do with EI (which earns with BAEC). This can be quite annoying when filtering for oneworld flights, since these false results can overlay real oneworld results in overviews.
You can use EF to find flights, selecting OneWorld alliance and check "exclude codeshares", or in Matrix you can list the specific airlines, comma-separated (no space).
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:36 pm

You can use EF to find flights, selecting OneWorld alliance and check "exclude codeshares", or in Matrix you can list the specific airlines, comma-separated (no space).
Yes I know, there are many alternatives that work fine, but for ease of use and speed, google flights can't be beat. And speed in combination with usable overviews becomes very important when trying to figure out various combinations for complex routings, and even more so when trying to do that several times. But I digress...
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
US Senators raise concerns re Qatar Airways/Air Italy ties

Related to main topic
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/73514-us-senators-raise-concerns-re-qatar-airwaysair-italy-ties
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Yes I know, there are many alternatives that work fine, but for ease of use and speed, google flights can't be beat. And speed in combination with usable overviews becomes very important when trying to figure out various combinations for complex routings, and even more so when trying to do that several times. But I digress...
But there is nothing new. In OW (or ST) airlines credit to their own FFP flights marketed by them and operated by other non-OW airlines, but they don't credit if the flight is marketed by another OW member and operated by a non-OW airline. And you need a tool like EF to search carefully. The fact that BA allows credit for flights marketed by QF but operated by EK is a nice exception.

In more general terms, alliances are fading. The airline industry is changing and one must accept it. Over ten years ago, alliances were a dominant forces. Today JVs are becoming more important. Often there is overlap like the AA-BAIB JV or DL-AF-KL one, sometimes they don't.
Of course, I am biased by my personal situation, but I would have no problems if QR leaves OW and enters in a JV with mutual FFP benefits with BA and CX (they are significant shareholders in both). A QF or AA frequent flyer would have a different opinion.

Last edited by brunos; Dec 8, 2018 at 4:20 am
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
But there is nothing new. In OW (or ST) airlines credit to their own FFP flights marketed by them and operated by other non-OW airlines, but they don't credit if the flight is marketed by another OW member and operated by a non-OW airline.
No of course not, I just mentioned it to point out that QF/EK won't fill oneworld's gap on the Kangaroo Route that QR would leave.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:24 pm

No of course not, I just mentioned it to point out that QF/EK won't fill oneworld's gap on the Kangaroo Route that QR would leave.
Indeed. QR has industry-leading business class in their Qsuites, and on occasion has excellent business class fares. Even their non-Qsuites aircraft is better than BA, and has better food and service than AA. I will miss them if they leave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.