Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAB threatens to leave oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I strongly doubt that QR could leave OW before year-end. And even if they leave, I would expect QR to keep a close partnership with BA given is shareholding in IAG. I assume that we will keep earning TP and avios on QR. There is no point for QR to leave OW before it formalizes agreements with partners like BA, LATAM, CX and others.There will be hard negotiating involved.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
AAB = The Boy Who Cried Wolf
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by #1son
despite AAB being incredibly pompous and self-important, I would venture to guess that he is smart enough not to shoot himself in the other foot
Smart or not, strategic decisions of this scale are not his to make. He does what he is told.

A QRexit would clearly be a bizarre move in terms solely of air transport. But the underlying forces of hubris, politics and finance can produce results not entirely rational.
SullyofDoha likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by brunos
... I assume that we will keep earning TP and avios on QR...
While I agree with everything else you said, I don't think that TPs would still be earnable *if* QR leaves. I believe this is standard for all OW airlines - that you won't earn towards status on non- OW partner flights; this mostly includes on codeshare flights operated by the non-OW partner, Qantas for some reason being a huge exception. [Edit: Oops, ignore that second point, inaccurate as pointed out below.]

TRB comparison above was quite apropos:

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
I would disagree.
There is no evidence that under BAEC TPs will be awarded to non-alliance partners, unless it's a BA-coded flight.
For examples EI is owned by IAG but it is not in OW, where only Avios are earned, but not TP.

As we all know Avios is pointless for status. Therefore it is not business as usual for BAEC status hunters.

Last edited by crackjack; Jan 9, 2019 at 9:03 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by crackjack

While I agree with everything else you said, I don't think that TPs would still be earnable *if* QR leaves. I believe this is standard for all OW airlines - that you won't earn towards status on non- OW partner flights; this mostly includes on codeshare flights operated by the non-OW partner, Qantas for some reason being a huge exception.

TRB comparison above was quite apropos:

Airlines can give status credit to whoever they want. The OW rules only require them to do it in the cases you describe, but they are free to go beyond them, and you don't have to go far to see status credits being awarded for non-OW flights due to airline specific agreements: Iberia lets you do so on Binter flights, for instance.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:28 am

While I agree with everything else you said, I don't think that TPs would still be earnable *if* QR leaves. I believe this is standard for all OW airlines - that you won't earn towards status on non- OW partner flights; this mostly includes on codeshare flights operated by the non-OW partner, Qantas for some reason being a huge exception.
The general rule seems to be that as long as the flight is marketed by a Oneworld airline and awards redeemable points (avios, palkintopisteet, et cetera), then you also get status points (tier points, puntos elite, tasopisteet, whatever you call it). If you don't get redeemable points (invalid codeshare or invalid booking class), then you get no status points either. If it is not marketed by a Oneworld airline, then the general rule seems to be that you do not get status points even if you get redeemable points, but there seem to be two exceptions. It looks as if IB customers get status points for VY flights under VY code and that QF customers get status points for Jetstar flights under Jetstar code. I don't know how IB and QF are able to do this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Mordac
Airlines can give status credit to whoever they want. The OW rules only require them to do it in the cases you describe, but they are free to go beyond them, and you don't have to go far to see status credits being awarded for non-OW flights due to airline specific agreements: Iberia lets you do so on Binter flights, for instance.
Guess there's always exceptions to any rule, though this appears a very small set? (Perhaps due to grandfathering existing agreements and / or arrangements with subsidiaries?)

Just curious, do OW airlines need to get agreement from OW management / its other OW partner airlines to do something like this, or is it solely at the deciding OW airline's discretion? I'd expect there'd be some unhappy people with such an outcome if it was done due to QR exiting OW...

Regardless, BA itself has so far taken a fairly conservative approach for partner airlines (I.e.partner airline = no TPs), would they change that?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

Guess there's always exceptions to any rule, though this appears a very small set? (Perhaps due to grandfathering existing agreements and / or arrangements with subsidiaries?)

Just curious, do OW airlines need to get agreement from OW management / its other OW partner airlines to do something like this, or is it solely at the deciding OW airline's discretion? I'd expect there'd be some unhappy people with such an outcome if it was done due to QR exiting OW...

Regardless, BA itself has so far taken a fairly conservative approach for partner airlines (I.e.partner airline = no TPs), would they change that?
You are quite right that it is pure speculation at this point. And I don't have more information than anyone else. But QR is a special case for BA. It is the largest shareholder (20% in IAG). WW stated recently that QR was likely to leave OW and that QR and IAG will remain as close as ever. Not that I put much weight in those speeches.

More importantly, I would doubt that there will be a Qrxit unless QR negotiate strong partnership agreements with its partner airlines (e.g. BA, LATAM, CX, and maybe CZ). QR is probably talking with these airlines (and others) but the going must be rough, especially with the uncertain alliance future of CZ. But leaving OW without a TP/avios partnership with BA would be suicidal IMO. But I fail to see what BA would have to gain and QR is not in a strong bargaining position

Last edited by brunos; Jan 9, 2019 at 11:44 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:10 pm

I don't have alot of knowledge about what is or will happen. However, a thought accrued to me, If QR leaves OW would EK join?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:57 am

The front page of Qatar’s Gulf Times reports that the final decision on Qatar’s position in Oneworld will be made following a Oneworld meeting in the beginning of February.

I’ll link to the article once it’s posted on Gulf Times’s website.

T8191, purple1addict, :D! and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, great ... catching up on this subject, and we’ve just booked our first QR (UK-DOH-CPT) for November for the TPs. Borderline essential for status renewal with BAEC, so now I’m somwhat worried!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, great ... catching up on this subject, and we’ve just booked our first QR (UK-DOH-CPT) for November for the TPs. Borderline essential for status renewal with BAEC, so now I’m somwhat worried!
Same. To achieve my first Gold status I need the TP from a trip I have lined up in October.

Fingers crossed.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
just booked our first QR (UK-DOH-CPT) for November for the TPs. Borderline essential for status renewal with BAEC, so now I’m somwhat worried!
Originally Posted by eugegall
Same. To achieve my first Gold status I need the TP from a trip I have lined up in October.
I certainly hope QR stays in OneWorld, but in the worst case, if they were to announce in, say, February that they are leaving, it would likely take until 2020 for that to actually happen, so I wouldn't be at all concerned about earnings in various OneWorld airlines for QR flights in 2019.
T8191 and eugegall like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
No likelihood of BA giving Original Routing Credit (ORC) if we have to cancel and re-book?

That's a JOKE, btw.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:02 pm

I don't think it goes that fast. CZ left Skyteam with a few months' prior notice, but still seems to earn to Skyteam programmes, at least to AF/KL and SU. If QR leaves Oneworld, then it will probably take a while before anything happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.