Wiki Posts
Search

AAB threatens to leave oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by makrom
No of course not, I just mentioned it to point out that QF/EK won't fill oneworld's gap on the Kangaroo Route that QR would leave.
You are right, except for BAEC members who buy a QF code. And CX has a lot of flights to Kangoo.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by brunos
And CX has a lot of flights to Kangoo.
As I mentioned earlier in post #71 , CX is nowhere near QR in Europe, neither in coverage nor frequency. I think QR serves around 40 airports these days, while CX must be something below 10. So oneworld's sparse coverage in all of Europe except for the western rim would get even worse.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
no worries about QR leaving OW now

everything is great now that Royal Air Maroc has come to the rescue (sarc+)

the article below will be good for a laugh

https://simpleflying.com/royal-air-m...eave-oneworld/

despite AAB being incredibly pompous and self-important, I would venture to guess that he is smart enough not to shoot himself in the other foot

Last edited by #1son; Dec 9, 2018 at 1:21 pm
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by #1son
no worries about QR leaving OW now

everything is great now that Royal Air Maroc has come to the rescue (sarc+)

the article below will be good for a laugh

https://simpleflying.com/royal-air-m...eave-oneworld/

despite AAB being incredibly pompous and self-important, I would venture to guess that he is smart enough not to shoot himself in the other foot
I truly wonder why authors all over the web try to connect every oneworld related event to QR's potential exit. Regarding revenue, AT serves an absolute niche market, and their audience is almost completely disjunct from QR's.
orbitmic and Calchas like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: QR Plat
RAM could replace some markets where QR makes money, but it would be a huge miss on what I assume is one of their biggest markets, the Europe-Asia routes. Also RAM would not be suited for Africa-Asia, which is an increasingly important market. If RAM had a better presence in northern Europe I'd consider them for my Europe-East Africa flights, as they are just as out of the way as QR is.

-A
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:31 pm

Potatoes could slowly replace all food served on board of QR flights.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Potatoes could slowly replace all food served on board of QR flights.
Shh. Don't give them ideas.

-A
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Oneworld prepared for QR to leave (SCMP Article)

Can be found here.

I think QR are bluffing. Say hello to more losses / less passengers I reckon if they leave OW. I only flew them because of this alliance.

+++++

https://beta.scmp.com/news/hong-kong...-giving-trying

https://beta.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/2178204/oneworld-prepared-qatar-airways-leave-it-not-giving-trying
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ermen
I think QR are bluffing. Say hello to more losses / less passengers I reckon if they leave OW. I only flew them because of this alliance.
They're probably too preoccupied right now trying to figure out how much they're going to lose in premium cabins on the ex-SEZ error fare.

I would stop using QR if they leave OW except for the occasional spectacular fare, like $1,200 roundtrip CMB-PHL in J that I got in January.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: Enrich
Well, other reason might be they saw China Southern could be a potential OW member, and can help them fill up the domestic connection in China, which may help them boost their revenue. So remain in OW could be a better choice
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:35 am

Just wondering... AAB has complained about AA talking .... and trying to prevent QR's IG investment, so it's understandable that he is mad at AA. He has also been complaining about QF cooperating with EK, and it's understandable that he is pissed about that; DOH is just as strategically located as DXB, so a cooperation with QR would have worked just as fine as a cooperation with EK. However, I've not seen him complaining about MH doing exactly the same thing with EK on the Europe-DXB-KUL route. Is there something different with the QF EK deal compared to the MH QF deal, or have I missed something?

I know that QF allows you to credit QF codeshares on EK metal to AA, BA and possibly other Oneworld programmes (have we seen any testcases where a Oneworld programme has denied a mileage credit of these codeshares?), but if this is the difference, then couldn't AAB simply ask BA to block those FFP transactions to at least reduce the number of Europeans who take the QF EK codeshares?

Is there perhaps an upcoming renegotiation of the QF EK deal where QR might be hoping that QF will be willing to switch from EK to QR?

Last edited by Im a new user; Dec 17, 2018 at 6:43 am
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
MH deal with EK is long dead, never really worked for either party, which is exactly why aab isn't complaining. 100% of 0 is still 0.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by ashkale
MH deal with EK is long dead, never really worked for either party, which is exactly why aab isn't complaining. 100% of 0 is still 0.
But MH's website still offers codeshares on EK when searching for flights from Europe to KUL? They also seem to have some deal with KL.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:53 pm

With my current flying pattern, my BA Gold card would split into QR Silver and BA Bronze....
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:57 am

Tapping into the collective wisdom: with the ongoing discussion about QR leaving OW, should I refrain from booking our summer holidays to SIN on QR knowing that we risk to get no TP and Avios in BAEC?
What are your thoughts? Summer is still 8 months away, a lot can change in the mean time.

Stan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.