AAB threatens to leave oneworld

Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:57 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by makrom
Causation or just correlation...
Fact is, if QR would leave OW without making changes elsewhere, it would be a severe downgrade. Of course if they up their game in other areas, things would be different.
Exactly. If QR leaves OW, I would bet a lot of money that QR is not going to start upgrading stuff in any material way as a result. The cutbacks QR have done in the last few years are going in the same direction as cut backs by other carriers which I do not think have much to do with being in an alliance or not.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Without going all OMNI/PR here, I think this is also a clarion call that relates to the political isolation of Qatar and its airline by the Gulf states, the USA tagging along, and of course Turkey and Iran deserve mention as well.

And of course AA has been griping about the G3 carriers, never failing to include erstwhile one world carrier QR, for some time. Perhaps Mr. Al Baker is also unhappy that Qantas and Etihad have a non-alliance partnership that slights QR and DOH?

I can understand all of this being part of the complaint, but how often can one call wolf or make statements that turn out to be polar opposites of reality (“We won’t be joining one world...” the day before its announced Qatar Airways is... joining oneworld. I’m quite sure that was not an overnight decision.)

That being said I’d hate to see QR leave, but as it’s Qatar I’ll add a bit of fatalistic attitude here.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:29 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

AAB threatens to have QR leave OW.

hahaha, yeah right.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Akbar Al Baker is on CNN International (Quest Means Business) now discussing this topic...

Mainly complaints about AA blocking access to USA, QF blocking access to Australia and the Middle East / Saudi blockade.

He is "serious" about the threats to leave oneworld because he doesn't ever say anything without meaning it (). Yeah ok then.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:29 pm

Quest just had a bit on CNN about QR's thoughts of leaving OW, incl. an interview with AAB.
What was interesting, AAB mentioned not only the conflicts with the 3 legacies incl AA but also QF about the AU routes, which aparently got new fuel due to QR's share in Air Italy that starts TATL, which could be seen as a violation of some 5th freedom agreement (which QR doesn't practice at the moment, with some rate exceptions). He argued that QR doesn't own a controlling stake (aka >50%) but of course influence and acting in mutual bemefit starts long before 50%.
As for QF, of course QR isn't just the victim as ABB portrays it, this is a shark tank after all. But one can't argue with the fact that QF is now codesharing with all ME3 carriers, which unarguably is a provocation for QR and can't be in OW's spirit. Extra alliance codeshares are nothing new, but doing it in such direct competition (and adding the political tensions) is indeed a bit of a new quality.

When asked that he is fighting on many fronts, he mentioned that he also got close allies, like IAG (no surprise there), CX and I think he also mentioned Japan.

You be the judge what to make of that, but I found it interesting to hear where he thinks the frontlines are. Could this actually be more than one of his typical flukes that he mentiones once and then moves on?
All I know for sure is that both OW and QR would be greatly compromized if that actually happens. The exodus of AB was a harsh blow for Middle European coverage, but losing QR would definitely place OW last among the 3 alliances.

Last edited by makrom; Oct 19, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Here’s the CNN interview
https://youtu.be/3RoS0r_2mak
purple1addict and msm2000uk like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: Some
At the end of the day, both would be weaker without the other but I think QR needs OW more than OW needs QR. The fact that QR was able to draw on customers from other OW alliance members to help them grow is a large part of what has allowed QR to compete with EK. They'd lose massively in terms of market position in e.g. the UK and US if BA and AA flyers weren't able to gain miles in a useful scheme for flights on QR, it would risk basically turning QR into EY Mark 2 (an airline with a lot of expensive long haul planes without the customers to fill them). Personally, I have little interest in flying with an airline that's not in one of the three major alliances which is part of what keeps me away from EK and I imagine I'm not the only one that thinks that.

Given the somewhat erratic decisions QR has been taking recently I'm not suggesting this means they wouldn't be willing to leave!
harri likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I have little interest in flying with an airline that's not in one of the three major alliances which is part of what keeps me away from EK and I imagine I'm not the only one that thinks that.
I stay away from EK because, having sampled its J product, I just don't think that it's that great.
WanderingGent and royng like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I stay away from EK because, having sampled its J product, I just don't think that it's that great.
Have you tried Oman? It's a fine product, but but the airline finds itself in the same position as EK in terms of alliance membership.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Have you tried Oman? It's a fine product, but but the airline finds itself in the same position as EK in terms of alliance membership.
I did (on BKK-CAI since QR is no longer a possibility) and I quite liked it.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:06 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I did (on BKK-CAI since QR is no longer a possibility) and I quite liked it.
I too have found Oman Air to be excellent.

I haven't been through the new terminal, but the onboard product is still excellent.

M
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:51 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by makrom
losing QR would definitely place OW last among the 3 alliances.
Really? I love QR and I hope they stay in OW, but honestly I don't think SkyTeam is so close behind OW that QR's departure would make ST ahead of OW. For years I had status with 2 airlines on *A and 2 on OW which I thought was suboptimal; instead I wanted status in all 3 alliances and I had room to cut back in *A and/or OW. But so many times when I flew Sky Team my experience was so much worse than other alliances that I grudgingly had to shelve my 3-way status plans. Again and again. I am curious as to why you think Sky Team is better than OW without QR, as it differs massively from my experience but I am always open to new feedback.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't see AAB leaving OneWorld. And if he does? I bet that EY could use the additional traffic that OW membership would generate....
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Originally Posted by s115
Does anyone know what the process is to leave One world?
I believe a lot easier and quicker than leaving the EU.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:23 am

I don't see AAB leaving OneWorld. And if he does? I bet that EY could use the additional traffic that OW membership would generate....
I hope they do leave! About mid next year. and EY or EK would be a great replacement. Or both, together even! Would be funny if this happened out of political spite.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.