Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAB threatens to leave oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:17 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

it would be interesting if AA actually cooperated with QR on flights to India (huge market). For instance, if some how they can come up with a joint venture between US and Indian cities (via Doha), I think that might actually be a win-win for them (though not necessarily for us).

Anyhoo, that's not happening any time soon, but it's just interesting to consider.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Mordac
Unfortunately, AAHQ seems bereft of any original thought and to have outsourced all strategy to Delta. Doesn't occur them that what's good for Delta is not necessarily good for them.
Sadly true. It would be nice if the AA board recognized this.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Isn't what you mean that it's not good for us? If they put that into effect, it will only be AFTER the number crunchers have figured out that the business they lose will be more than offset by the savings. Like nearly all airlines, they have a lot of smart people thinking about this stuff.
I haven't seen much evidence that AA senior management since being replaced by LUS are that smart. AA does offer a nice J and F hard product on international routes, but an ever-worsening and more unpleasant experience domestically. The soft product, both internationally and domestic, is inconsistent, usually somewhere between awful and mediocre. Long-time AA flyers are choosing any other airline over AA for domestic flights.

Originally Posted by ckx2
So you'd rather fly SIN-DOH-LAX than SIN-NRT-LAX? That's almost 40% longer! I wouldn't call that competition.
Who cares if the flight is 40% longer? I'd fly QR over AA (or BA) metal any day, any time, any flight. Better seats, better food, better service.

Originally Posted by Mordac
If this was the only such decision, then yes, I would assume they have done the maths and worked out this makes best business sense, despite me being potentially disadvantaged by it. However, this is only one of a long string of decision where AA seems to have blindly copied Delta without regard for the different circumstances they're in.
Exactly. DL can get away with, e.g., gutting their FF program, because their operational advantages make up for it, just as AAdvantage used to make up for AA's operational deficiencies before it was gutted.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Not to mention the extra earnings from the additional distance PLUS extra EQDs on a QR marketed flight if you're crediting to AAdvantage.
Yes. If the cost is comparable, who wouldn't prefer routing on QR?

Originally Posted by clubeurope
it would be interesting if AA actually cooperated with QR on flights to India (huge market). For instance, if some how they can come up with a joint venture between US and Indian cities (via Doha), I think that might actually be a win-win for them (though not necessarily for us).
AA used to fly to India. One would think an AA code on QR flights could work.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by ckx2
So you'd rather fly SIN-DOH-LAX than SIN-NRT-LAX? That's almost 40% longer! I wouldn't call that competition.
Originally Posted by escape4
While your question is not intended to me, nor do I fly this route, but if I may contribute my opinion then if in J then yes I would pick SIN-DOH-LAX on QR rather than SIN-NRT-LAX with a long flight on AA. A long J flight on QR is something I look forward to rather than dread.
I agree. But outside of FTer's, I'd be very surprised if many others would do so. It's not something that's a competitive threat to AA.

Originally Posted by clubeurope

Anyhoo, that's not happening any time soon, but it's just interesting to consider.
It's really surprising AA doesn't do that. QR and AA could provide the best choices for the US to India and Pakistan. AA isn't going to fly these routes and could be generating profits tying itself to QR on these routes.

And ... Air Italy does tie into this issue. AA (along with UA and DL) launched an attack on Air Italy last week which was really an attack on QR. QR can't appreciate its OW partner attacking it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.