Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Infuriated by Qatar upgrade process

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
I tried upgrading my flight but ended up just upgrading one sector as it wasnt letting me do the entire flight so maybe try doing a sector
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Talking

I just upgraded two tickets DOH-PER-DOH for November 2018.

Had tried using Chrome, and it did not work, so changed to Safari. Was initially asking to upgrade NBO-DOH-PER (even though NBO-DOH only has J class) and then when I tried DOH-PER for two tickets, it came through.

Then tried PER-DOH and voila two more came through.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Because I have nearly 400,000 Qmiles to burn and want to use them.
But wouldn't it be more economical to use EUR 750, instead of 400k Qmiles?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by warakorn
But wouldn't it be more economical to use EUR 750, instead of 400k Qmiles?
Wouldn't it be more economical to think for a second before wasting time typing out that post? Obviously he is not using all 400k miles at once.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by davidjcampbell83
Because I have nearly 400,000 Qmiles to burn and want to use them. And the website doesn't actually work anyway.
can yu give more flight detail (routing, day, flight no.) of your flight that you want to upgrade?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Oh my lord! After four days, three phone calls and eight emails out of the blue the website started working. I was able to upgrade one of the four legs. No thanks to the absolutely hopeless customers service team.

For anyone's reference in the future - there is no point trying to negotiate with the CR team to arrange an upgrade offline. They will just keep coming back with generic responses about using the website.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Exclamation Data Point

I faced the same problems as OP & after 3.5 weeks & several emails (+ perhaps one not so nice email from me), I've been upgraded on the DOH-SIN SECTOR.
I was told that there was no availability on SINDOH so I'll try again after Nov. when my new QCredits come in.
Funny thing was I managed to use the QR app on my iPad and the upgrade request went thru'
However that was for the SINDOH sector and I got an email back saying that it was not avail.

Unfortunately, redemption seats for upgrade to business class are currently unavailable and, hence, we are unable to process your request.
Redemption seats are limited and capacity controlled therefore, there are limitations on the number of seats available for redemption on any given flight. Certain days/periods may have no award seat availability; this is a global industry practice and is a function of flight forecast.

It does seem however, that they are replying to emails sooner in the last week or so ... but yeah, they won't entertain any requests on the phone so just keep sending them emails.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by davidjcampbell83
For anyone's reference in the future - there is no point trying to negotiate with the CR team to arrange an upgrade offline. They will just keep coming back with generic responses about using the website.
these are not news.

since long time QR makes upgrade request only available by website and not by phone/mail same before. if you would have told you try to send them email or phone calls to upgrade, i would have told you there is no sense in it

website is the only way!!
makrom likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: qr
I have resisted from posting on the issues I have had trying to upgrade a sector on my current flights due to the frustrating experience I have had . Much they same as others as noted in the various threads on this forum. Yes I tried on line , I had 20plus e mail exchanges over past month or so , yes the cabin I wanted was almost empty , yes website / app showed availability but still no one or the technology could process my request. I gave up after customer services said website had a technical issue and they were working on it. So went to BC lounge yesterday to try and get upgrade to first on my connecting flight . Staff super helpful though they rang a supervisor to clear the request using my q credits and were told I had to come back 15 mins before boarding started . So I duly did and bingo new BP ready . Once boarded the cabin was still only occupied by 3 others . So the conspiracy thoughts in my mind this whole process is being done on purpose and give it revenue management every opportunity to secure hard cash for the seats that were once available for upgrades / redemptions but no longer are�� a painful process but go there in the end .needless to say the on board service and hard product was to notch.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Move to another FFP. That's what I did.
makrom likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: qr
Yes a fair suggestion - I am giving is some thought but also been weighing up other factors so going to post my thoughts on a separate thread in the next few days to stimulate some discussion which I am sure it will.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I had a good experience recently, upgrading online using my Qcredits. In the past it's been a big problem, as others have indicated here. So, I was literally in cold sweats a I purchased a $1K ticket in economy and immediately proceeded to try and upgrade it to business with Qcredits. I knew there was availability as I had checked prior to paying for the economy ticket. Thankfully, it all went through smoothly and I was instantly upgraded. Their system really is hit or miss.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
I had a good experience recently, upgrading online using my Qcredits. In the past it's been a big problem, as others have indicated here. So, I was literally in cold sweats a I purchased a $1K ticket in economy and immediately proceeded to try and upgrade it to business with Qcredits. I knew there was availability as I had checked prior to paying for the economy ticket. Thankfully, it all went through smoothly and I was instantly upgraded. Their system really is hit or miss.
I agree. It's worked like a dream for me too. The major problem is finding award availability...

That aside, the online process in my experience is so much better than the old form submission where you had to fill in the request form, then wait for an email 3 days later to generally tell you there was no availability (or if you got lucky then having to call within X hours to pay taxes or risk losing the upgrade).

Much prefer the new system so far - although I have yet to suffer a failure - but I do wish QRPC would still help with telephone upgrades and opening of award space for elites like they used to.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tav1989
So the conspiracy thoughts in my mind this whole process is being done on purpose and give it revenue management every opportunity to secure hard cash for the seats that were once available for upgrades / redemptions but no longer are��.
It's an interesting theory, but I've found that there has been a lot of award availability on my routes. More than there used to be. And I can't see why they would use 'technology' to fail to process upgrades when there is U-class availability on the flights. I'm putting it down to a terribly website and the new terrible policy of customer services agents no longer being able to process upgrades. At least you got your upgrade in the end. No doubt about it, the QR hard business product is unmatched.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purple1addict

I agree. It's worked like a dream for me too. The major problem is finding award availability...

That aside, the online process in my experience is so much better than the old form submission where you had to fill in the request form, then wait for an email 3 days later to generally tell you there was no availability (or if you got lucky then having to call within X hours to pay taxes or risk losing the upgrade).

Much prefer the new system so far - although I have yet to suffer a failure - but I do wish QRPC would still help with telephone upgrades and opening of award space for elites like they used to.
My latest booking was upgradable straight after booking online. The website process is absolutely fine when it's no broken. The nightmare comes when it's riddled with technical errors and there's no backstop with the call centre.
purple1addict likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.