Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Infuriated by Qatar upgrade process

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Infuriated by Qatar upgrade process

I'm at my wits end with the dreadful Qatar Airways website and even more dreadful customer service. After accumulating more than 300,000 Qmiles and a stack of Qcredits from mostly long-haul business class I have yet been able to successfully redeem a single one of them.

The most recent attempt is tonight as I try to upgrade a booking that:
- I have confirmed U-Class business award seat availability for and
- Specifically booked a higher fare class to be upgradable

The website gets stuck on a loading animation indefinitely. I have tried all day and night across multiple browsers and devices.

I called the QRPC to ask them to arrange the upgrade over the phone. Fail. The agent said "We cannot process upgrades over the phone - you will need to do that on the website". When I said the website is broken, he said to email customer services. I've emArgh!

Has anyone got any more tips for what I can do
kaffir76 and Ursa81 like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:11 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by davidjcampbell83
I'm at my wits end with the dreadful Qatar Airways website and even more dreadful customer service. After accumulating more than 300,000 Qmiles and a stack of Qcredits from mostly long-haul business class I have yet been able to successfully redeem a single one of them.

The most recent attempt is tonight as I try to upgrade a booking that:
- I have confirmed U-Class business award seat availability for and
- Specifically booked a higher fare class to be upgradable

The website gets stuck on a loading animation indefinitely. I have tried all day and night across multiple browsers and devices.

I called the QRPC to ask them to arrange the upgrade over the phone. Fail. The agent said "We cannot process upgrades over the phone - you will need to do that on the website". When I said the website is broken, he said to email customer services. I've emArgh!

Has anyone got any more tips for what I can do
QR's PC program has deteriorated to a load of rubbish, particularly the upgrade "process". IIRC you have no choice but to email QRPC with your request.........& wait. Rubbish, I know, but I wish you luck!
Traveller999 likes this.

Last edited by msm2000uk; Sep 30, 2018 at 6:09 am
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:54 am

Try more different browsers/different devices and at different times, use incognito mode...
I know, it's a total shot in the dark but I usually could get it to work eventually this way. The current web interface is just very buggy, and the fact that this is the only way to handle QRPC matters doesn't help.
If all else failed, you can also try to upgrade at the airport at most airports.

Last edited by makrom; Sep 30, 2018 at 9:15 am
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Yes Qatar Airways decided to give the finger to their frequent customers when they decided on February this year to stop providing any QRPC service over the phone...
NoY, Traveller999 and NJSwamplands like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by makrom
Try more different browsers/different sevices and at different times, use incognito mode...
I know, it's a total shot in ghe dark but I usually could get it to work eventually this way. The current web interface is just very buggy, and the fact that this is the only way to handle QRPC matters doesn't help.
If all else failed, you can also try to upgrade at the airport at most airports.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried many browsers and devices. Just tried incognito mode but no joy. Unfortunately upgrade at the airport isn't an option as I am upgrading a family member and I understand upgrade at the airport is strictly for member only...
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Had exactly the same issue and the customer services are absolutely useless as they all give the same damn generic bs reply about going online and doing it after showing them detailed screenshots of the issue
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: British Airways
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried many browsers and devices. Just tried incognito mode but no joy. Unfortunately upgrade at the airport isn't an option as I am upgrading a family member and I understand upgrade at the airport is strictly for member only...
Do you have an ad/content blocker enabled? If so, disable it. Also, do you have pop-ups disabled? Enable them.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
Do you have an ad/content blocker enabled? If so, disable it. Also, do you have pop-ups disabled? Enable them.
Thanks for the tips. I've tried all of those things and unfortunately nothing works. I get the same issue on devices.
Do you think it's an issue with upgrading another person? I understand that should be possible, but has anyone else had success in doing this?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Do you think it's an issue with upgrading another person? I understand that should be possible, but has anyone else had success in doing this?
i did it this year with miles online. Was no problem then.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Crisu69
i did it this year with miles online. Was no problem then.
There are a lot of QR-related things that were no problem back then
I think at that time, all the online interface did was taking your request and sending it to someone to be processed. Now this is done by the system itself and when it fails (which it does ever so often), you are out of luck.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:58 am

Yes sucks, I know. Wish there would be more helpful advice, but the only thing that really helps is to start using a different FFP. Of course you can try [email protected] and social media, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesnt...
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:12 am
Original Poster

An unsurprising update for anyone who is interested. The response to [email protected] was "Send us screenshots" (I already had) and "We can't process upgrades offline". Basically, there is no way to process an upgrade. The website doesn't work, membersvc won't do it and this booking is up eligible for upgrade on departure. There's no way to win with these people.

"Thank you for writing to Privilege Club. We value your business. We apologize for the delay in replying to you and for the inconvenience caused to you while processing online Award Upgrade request for PASSENGER NAME journey under booking reference number REFERENCE. We appreciate your patience. We request you to provide us the screenshot of an error encountered by you while processing award upgrade online. Once we are in receipt of the same we will emphasize it to our respective department. Please note that we are able to open the attachments in jpg or pdf format only. Note: Redemption seats are limited per flight and are subject to availability at the time of booking. As much as we would like to provide assistance to you, we are unable to process any award services offline currently. Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience which may have been caused on this occasion. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this regard. Do let us know if we can assist you any further. Sincerely, CUSTOMER SERVICE REP"

Last edited by msm2000uk; Oct 2, 2018 at 12:22 am Reason: Removal of personal information
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Upgrades can be processed online.
Usually, one is offered an upgrade for EUR 500-1000 for each segment approx. 48 hours before the flight.
Why dont you try that?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
Upgrades can be processed online.
Usually, one is offered an upgrade for EUR 500-1000 for each segment approx. 48 hours before the flight.
Why dont you try that?
Because I have nearly 400,000 Qmiles to burn and want to use them. And the website doesn't actually work anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.