QR Unprofessional Ground Staff at DUB

Old Sep 26, 18, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold
QR Unprofessional Ground Staff at DUB

Hi all,

I regularly fly out of DUB to Doha in Y most of the time. As a QR Gold, I am obviously entitled to the benefits of the program on the ground. I have had a number if bad experiences with ground staff in Dublin, who admittedly are not QR staff, but they should still have a knowledge of the QR policies.

· Firstly, every time I try to enter the premium check in queue, I am asked what class I am in, when I say economy, they try to direct me to the other queue. Shouldn’t the staff really ask if you are in economy or business or do you have status.

· Secondly, when I get to the check in, the staff almost always don’t put the priority bag tags on my bag. The worst instance, was when I asked her to out the tags on, and she proceeded to put on Star Alliance priority tags. When I pointed it out, she couldn’t work out what was wrong, even though her colleague was trying to tell her they were wrong.

· Thirdly, twice when they printed my boarding pass and it said **FAST TRACK** on it, they insisted on speaking to their manager to ensure that I was in fact eligible to use it.

· Lastly, every single time I try to enter the priority boarding queue, the staff tries to send me back, even though it clearly says for Silver, Gold and Platinum on the sign and on my boarding pass.

I know these may seem like insignificant issues, but I really find the whole ground experience at Dublin to be a bit ridiculous at times. Qatar Airways have been flying to Dublin for a decent amount of time now, and it seems crazy that the ground crew have absolutely no idea of the FFP or the entitlements. My interactions with the staff always make me feel like I am breaking some kind of rule instead of availing of services which I am entitled to.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
Old Sep 26, 18, 3:49 am

Programs: Enrich (Platinum), Privilege Club (Gold), MVP Gold
Hi,

Why would you think these are insignificant issues? These are your rights and entitlements for being OW gold. if you are being denied of these rights, then something is very wrong. you should document these down and lodge a complain to QR in Doha. Write to the top management so that it will escalate down. Take action or it will never change. They need to go for training.
Old Sep 26, 18, 4:54 am

Programs: qatar airways
Originally Posted by Paul Liew View Post
Hi,

Why would you think these are insignificant issues? These are your rights and entitlements for being OW gold. if you are being denied of these rights, then something is very wrong. you should document these down and lodge a complain to QR in Doha. Write to the top management so that it will escalate down. Take action or it will never change. They need to go for training.
I agree. To be fair there are several one world flights from that airport so it isn't as if the staff are rarely faced with passengers with status etc.

When i fly from CWL , QR is the only one world carrier. My status as Platinum is always recognised at check in and boarding without any fuss.
Old Sep 26, 18, 4:56 am

Probably worth complaining, just difficult to say where. Membersvc email will just send it to some clueless drone who will send you a "we sincerely apologize"-reply. I guess you could try there and hope it gets forwarded on. Mention that it's a recurring problem etc.

In general though I've found QR outstation staff (often not QR staff but some ground handling company's) to be much better than actual QR staff in DOH. Probably because they're not scared of being deported for a single mistake.

With regards to baggage priority tags: I was told by Finnair staff in HEL that priority bags are put in a separate area just based on the bar code and the tags are actually unnecessary. That being said, it seems like QR still generally does tag bags priority (as do most oneworld airlines, including Finnair, just not always in HEL...)
Old Sep 26, 18, 5:25 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
This sounds like an issue with the Ground Handlers, so perhaps direct an email to them - in addition to QR Member Services.

M
Old Sep 26, 18, 6:28 am

Yes I agree with msm2000uk.
QR isn't a company where you get far by escalating things. Higher management expects low level point of contacts to deal with such issues. I know damn well that this often doesn't work, but at that point giving up is the only feasible way to proceed since you won't be hitting anything but walls from there on.
The only way to get some leverage higher up the food chain (other than knowing the right people in Doha) are their POCs on social media.
Old Sep 26, 18, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Complaints which are general in nature don't get acted on. Rather, one needs to send a specific complaint about a specific incident on a specific date to the carrier, not to the ground handler.

I agree that sending complaints to senior officers is a fool's errand. Those are simply delayed while they are forwarded to the people paid to deal with them.

Of the issues you are experiencing, the only one I would raise is the boarding priority. The others all eppear to be dealt with when you raise them to a supervisor, so not sure why complaining is necessary. It also detracts from the significant issue, e.g., boarding later than you are entitled to.

Why not take your last experience and note that date and flight and to the extent possible, the name or description of the staff who sent you to the back of the line.
Old Sep 26, 18, 12:08 pm

Programs: S7 Emerald, LH FTL, UA 1K, AR Platino
Originally Posted by mpkz View Post
In general though I've found QR outstation staff (often not QR staff but some ground handling company's) to be much better than actual QR staff in DOH. Probably because they're not scared of being deported for a single mistake.

With regards to baggage priority tags: I was told by Finnair staff in HEL that priority bags are put in a separate area just based on the bar code and the tags are actually unnecessary. That being said, it seems like QR still generally does tag bags priority (as do most oneworld airlines, including Finnair, just not always in HEL...)
QR usually has a few own staff (eg doing ticketing and supervision) while contracting a GHA for the check in. At least in TXL they are especially trained and selected from senior staff of the GHA.
Old Sep 26, 18, 6:59 pm

Why don't you just ask to speak to the station manager or senior manager on duty when you are there? S/he is the person who is best placed to deal with the issues you are raising, and it also never hurts if you are a frequent traveller to get to know the airline staff on the ground.
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old Sep 29, 18, 2:10 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
You are not wrong at the staff in Dublin. The last 3 times going through there always seems to be a huge effort for them or they got very little training. The follow everything to the letter and there is no wiggle room. My carry on was 11kg and they wanted to put it in the hold because it was over the 10kg limit. I had to go to the manager and explain that I was just taking carry on with no hold luggage before I got away with it!!!! Rules are Rules but they just don't care. Compare this to staff in Frankfurt and they are world class.
Old Sep 29, 18, 2:29 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by energydj View Post
You are not wrong at the staff in Dublin. The last 3 times going through there always seems to be a huge effort for them or they got very little training. The follow everything to the letter and there is no wiggle room. My carry on was 11kg and they wanted to put it in the hold because it was over the 10kg limit. I had to go to the manager and explain that I was just taking carry on with no hold luggage before I got away with it!!!! Rules are Rules but they just don't care. Compare this to staff in Frankfurt and they are world class.
So they were correct, and you were in the wrong? Sounds like their training has been pretty good, and they were following the rules.

QR are now being pretty strict on hand-baggage rules, as has been documented elsewhere on the board, so I can't say I'm surprised.

M
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 29, 18, 8:52 pm
NoY

Programs: BA Emerald, EY Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire Ambassador, QR & TAP bye bye
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
So they were correct, and you were in the wrong? Sounds like their training has been pretty good, and they were following the rules.

QR are now being pretty strict on hand-baggage rules, as has been documented elsewhere on the board, so I can't say I'm surprised.

M
I'm with @energydj on this point. With no checked baggage & within 1kg of the allotted carry-on weight limit (particularly if status/premium cabin - not sure in this case though?) I would expect just a modicum of flexibility (yes, yes, "if everyone did this"../"where do they draw the line"../ etc etc blah blah...).

Just saying.
GalaxyChris, energydj and dpfs like this.
Old Sep 30, 18, 7:24 am

My experiences ex DUB differ greatly. The ground staff do not always appear the most caring, but in Eco with OW status on prio checkin I reveived everything proactively, twice even with fast connection baggage tag for our tight DOH connections.

Having worked for a large European airline myself, I agree that only time and date specific complaints have to chance to be forwarded to the outsourced DUB handling partner.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: