Too many distruptive videos on board

Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Too many distruptive videos on board

I know people have complained about this before but I'm in a bad mood so I figured I'd make one more thread, maybe others can rant or maybe QR will notice.

On flights these days you're just bombarded with videos you don't want to watch. First you have the safety demo in two languages because subtitles are too difficult, then you have Educate a Child, then while watching media you have the 2 minutes of ads before everything (though these can be fast forwarded through), then before landing you have State-of-the-art Hamad International Airport (completely uninformative video) followed by the anti-blockade ad, once again in two languages.

I know it's been like that for a while now, but even a year or two ago they only had one safety demo, no ads, Educate a Child was an announcement instead of a video...

/rant
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: QR Plat
And then the screens turn on for every PA announcement in-flight, and many times crew forget to turn off screens for empty seats... I haven't looked at anything on that screen for years.

-A
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I find the add and the announcement very annoying and LOUD with QR (like before landing).
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Agreed, its too many videos and too many announcements which are (rightly) in two languages so take some time. One thing to say with all the technological advances and video at every seat, why is it not possible to play only one safety video with people asked to choose English or Arabic and put their headset on?

oh and for educate a child, flying places together and what not, write a little override code at the end which we can enter on our next flight to not see the poorly crafted videos four times in one week!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
The even Helen Mirren reads Oryx set of ads put me in rant mode.

The flash about QR's position in Skytrax 2017 ratings is sad.
flyertalker09567 and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by mpkz
First you have the safety demo in two languages because subtitles are too difficult,
Because not everyone can read (or read fast enough) or watches and pays attention.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
why is it not possible to play only one safety video with people asked to choose English or Arabic and put their headset on?

because people won't do it
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
You can skip the ads by fast-forwarding.

The announcement are way too loud over the headphones.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC
I agree that the imposition of still ads into the moving map is annoying. Being able to have the map as some moving wallpaper without its light level constantly changing from subdued to bright when some in-your-face as pops up would be a better passenger experience.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:06 am
R2

Originally Posted by plunet
I agree that the imposition of still ads into the moving map is annoying. Being able to have the map as some moving wallpaper without its light level constantly changing from subdued to bright when some in-your-face as pops up would be a better passenger experience.
CX has the same issue, very annoying indeed.

The even Helen Mirren reads Oryx set of ads put me in rant mode

I'm always amused by this 'Everyone reads the Oryx magazine' ad. I had a glimpse through it once and it was as boring as they come. Also, I've never seen anyone read it.
jckl likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
One thing to say with all the technological advances and video at every seat, why is it not possible to play only one safety video with people asked to choose English or Arabic and put their headset on?
The result would be that most people simply won't put on their headset until the briefing is over. I for sure know that I would be one of them. And so would be Mr and Mrs Confusedalot who will fail to put on their headsets on time and set the correct language.
If it were me, I would put up safety tests instead of safety briefings. A test that needs to be taken before the flight and you could get a type rating for aircrafts that you have passed before.
As it is, those briefings couldn't be more useless since in case of an actual emergency, those not already knowing what is communicated during those briefings won't be able to remember anything anyway. They will put on the oxygen mask on their child first, they won't know that the life vest is under their seat, they will take their oh so important stuff from the overhead compartment and you can bet your axx that they will run like a squirrel on steroids in their inane search for the nearest exit door, bumping into everyone and everything along the way.
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:21 am

Agree with many of the previous comments.

Those bulkhead mounted screens are the main reason I avoid the first (few) rows in the J cabin when possible. Dont need to be reminded 100x over a 12h flight that Prague is now a new destination. The screen brightness is also set too high making it really difficult to relax on anything but a daytime flight. These screens should be turned off 30 mins after takeoff and turned on again 30 mins prior to landing or at a minimum set to nothing but the moving map at a low brightness setting.

What could also be improved is the brightness setting of the in-seat screens. Why are they all set to maximum brightness on a flight departing in darkness and remaining in darkness for 12h (e.g. PER-DOH)? 90% of pax dont realise they can turn down brightness and 60% dont realise they can turn the screen off which in sum results in too much illumination during night flights. Why cant the brightness be set centrally to a low default starting value on such flights? The J cabin on said Perth flight was brightly illuminated despite darkness outside, cabin lights turned off and most of the pax sleeping/not watching the entertainment just because of the madness that is the high default screen brightness setting across the cabin.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:48 am

I miss FC Barcelona....

(JOKING!)
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by R2
'Everyone reads the Oryx magazine'
Demonstrating that I am not everyone.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:15 am

A simple solution is not playing any promotional videos on ex-DOH flights, assuming most pax are transit anyways.

Safety video QR can take notes from CX, they can squeeze a bi-lingual vid into 5 mins.

Audio announcement should not override user selected volume (it's at 50% no matter what was chosen at other times), or at the very least, have the crew put the phone further away from their mouth. This I find is an A350/A380 issue, using the Thales IFE. The Panasonic based 777 and 330s are better in this regard.

A switch to all pre-recorded announcement like KA can solve the constant mispronunciation, mumbling PAs and can offer a range of destination based languages. Ex-DOH should have simplified announcements, eliminating the QRPC recruitment etc.

Also, can we not board night departures flights like we're entering a dungeon? Setting the cabin lights to seedy night club mode is not inviting and I've seen far too often YCL pax couldn't find their seats because no one can read the placards. Aircraft cabin should be inviting and relaxing, not dark, dingy and suffocating the mood light is attempting to portray.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by jckl
Audio announcement should not override user selected volume (it's at 50% no matter what was chosen at other times), or at the very least, have the crew put the phone further away from their mouth. This I find is an A350/A380 issue, using the Thales IFE. The Panasonic based 777 and 330s are better in this regard.
IME, it can be as high as 80-90%. Quite annoying when you watch a movie with the volume somewhere around 30-40%.
sula__ likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.