11 hr DOH Overnight Layover

Old Sep 14, 18, 9:26 am
Original Poster

11 hr DOH Overnight Layover

My wife and I have MLE>DOH>ORD on hold in Feb, but it involves arriving 9:40PM in DOH and not leaving until 7:30AM the next day. 11 hrs, and my wife will be roughly 6 months pregnant. Is there something we can do to pass the time, or make this layover smoother? I assume it is not worth leaving the airport that late at night.
Old Sep 14, 18, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by shimps1 View Post
I assume it is not worth leaving the airport that late at night.
Actually it kinda is! And I believe there's a post here in the sub somewhere with an itinerary or instructions on how to do it and what to do and visit. But with a pregnant wife... not so sure if it's a good idea.
Old Sep 14, 18, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
my wife will be roughly 6 months pregnant. Is there something we can do to pass the time, or make this layover smoother?
Are you aware of the existence of the, albeit expensive, airside airport hotel? Just the thing for a pregnant woman!
Old Sep 14, 18, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post

Are you aware of the existence of the, albeit expensive, airside airport hotel? Just the thing for a pregnant woman!
No I am not. I wasn't sure if maybe a lounge had nap rooms or something we could use. What hotel is it?
Old Sep 14, 18, 12:35 pm

No I am not. I wasn't sure if maybe a lounge had nap rooms or something we could use. What hotel is it?
The business class lounge has decent nap rooms (for a lounge), but will be quite expensive unless you have business class tickets. The airport hotel is much better, though more expensive. There is also the Oryx Rotana hotel near the airport which is quite nice, much cheaper and has free shuttle service, but it will obviously require more time to get there and back.
Old Sep 14, 18, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Home - Oryx Airport Hotel

Alternatively, if you're not pushed for time I would suggest trying to extend your time between flights at DOH to, say, 20 hours (I realise QR flight schedules may not permit this) and get a hotel in Doha city; it's a great way to break up a journey, with some sleep in a proper bed and a shower between flights.
Old Sep 14, 18, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by makrom View Post
The business class lounge has decent nap rooms (for a lounge), but will be quite expensive unless you have business class tickets. The airport hotel is much better, though more expensive. There is also the Oryx Rotana hotel near the airport which is quite nice, much cheaper and has free shuttle service, but it will obviously require more time to get there and back.
We will be in business class, however we are on Award tickets. I think that still allows us access to the lounges, correct?
Old Sep 14, 18, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *G (TK)
My wife and I have MLE>DOH>ORD on hold in Feb, but it involves arriving 9:40PM in DOH and not leaving until 7:30AM the next day. 11 hrs, and my wife will be roughly 6 months pregnant. Is there something we can do to pass the time, or make this layover smoother? I assume it is not worth leaving the airport that late at night.
I very strongly suggest the Airport Hotel, expensive or not.

Nothing beats its convenience, like being in the room within 45 min from landing, and you can e-mail them for the hourly package prices to save a bit.
dodgeflyer and Dr. HFH like this.
Old Sep 14, 18, 3:08 pm
2018 Secret Santa

Programs: AA Plat | PriorityPass | Hyatt
Yes, thankfully you will still have access to the Al Mourjan louge with an award ticket. I've slept in the quiet area before in the lounge. It's not that quiet or comfortable. (The women's bathroom is like ridiculously far away! )
I was stuck in the same predicament coming back from MLE. Except I was connecting to a MIA flight. Since your wife is pregnant, stay at the airport hotel and use the showers there.
Still give the lounge a visit and go to the upstairs dining room for breakfast. Peak hours are (6am-6:30am) however, there is a special families only dining room in the back in you'll be able to sit in with great tarmac views.
Old Sep 14, 18, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Book the transit hotel well in advance. The hotel tends to fill up.
Old Sep 14, 18, 3:35 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
Oryx Rotana is just ~100 Eur, very nice, close to airport and they have free shuttle service Airport-Hotel-Airport.
Would not think a second with pregnant wife and not spend this long transit time only in AM Lounge.

Old Sep 14, 18, 3:41 pm

City tour

I just took a 9hr layover in Doha last month ago and I would recommend the city tour. You certainly have enough time if they operate that late. There is a kiosk airside by the B terminals.
Old Sep 14, 18, 3:42 pm

Airport hotel all the way
book well in advance though
Old Sep 14, 18, 3:49 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by DBCubix View Post
You certainly have enough time if they operate that late.
there is no city tour after ~10pm when he arrives.
Old Sep 14, 18, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
If you are happy paying the price for the airport hotel, go for it.

Otherwise book the far cheaper Oryx Rotana. The arrivals lounge route will get you out of the airport quickly. Though there can be a lot of walking/faff from distant gates, so you might consider requesting assistance. Forget hanging around for shuttles, get an Uber ($10) or taxi for the five minute ride to the hotel.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: