Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11 hr DOH Overnight Layover

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
On an award ticket - I’m pretty sure you don’t have access to the AM lounge, unless I am mistaken.

Id book the airport hotel. Yes, it is expensive but it allows for a proper rest.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:20 pm

I have spent the night in the First Class Lounge past the bar and next to the prayer room. There were only two real pieces of furniture you could sleep on at the time. I am not sure if the lounge closed and they did not kick us out or if they just let us be but we spent the night
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by shimps1
My wife and I have MLE>DOH>ORD on hold in Feb, but it involves arriving 9:40PM in DOH and not leaving until 7:30AM the next day. 11 hrs, and my wife will be roughly 6 months pregnant. Is there something we can do to pass the time, or make this layover smoother? I assume it is not worth leaving the airport that late at night.
Spouse is an OB/GYN and very familiar with a connection like this at DOH. Here is the advice. And I quote:

"At that hour of night, there is nothing outside the airport worth seeing. Stay in transit.
As soon as you book your ticket, book a room at the Oryx airside airport hotel. Really. It may be more expensive than you might like but it's right there and it's very nice -- and doesn't matter. She'll be ~24 weeks pregnant. Trust me on this, especially if it's your first. She's pregnant and uncomfortable and you're dragging her around the world: Home - Oryx Airport Hotel
Once you settle in, the stunning business class lounge at DOH is a 5 minute walk away and you can stroll over and satisfy whatever craving she may have.
You'll be a hero."
Lefly and JKG like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PandaSoPink
Yes, thankfully you will still have access to the Al Mourjan louge with an award ticket.
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
On an award ticket - I’m pretty sure you don’t have access to the AM lounge, unless I am mistaken.

So, who is right here?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
So, who is right here?
You are absolutely allowed access to the Al Mourjan business class lounge when flying business class on a Qatar flight on an award ticket.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: SPG,HILTON
I don’t know if this applies on you but maybe u find it useful

“those upgrading from economy to business class with points will no longer have access to the AM Lounge And for those upgrading from business to first class (or from economy to first class on short-haul routes in the region), you’ll no longer get access to the Al Safwa Lounge in DOH.” Source reputed blog

At checkin counter reconfirm lounge access, if not allowed , get the hotel , its worth 1000times considering your pregnant wife. Rest is really important.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Doha is a dump. Sleep well in a hotel and forget that cesspool of a desert peninsula.
mpkz likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
We will be in business class, however we are on Award tickets. I think that still allows us access to the lounges, correct?
Originally Posted by Prince_
I don’t know if this applies on you but maybe u find it useful

“those upgrading from economy to business class with points will no longer have access to the AM Lounge And for those upgrading from business to first class (or from economy to first class on short-haul routes in the region), you’ll no longer get access to the Al Safwa Lounge in DOH.” Source reputed blog.
OP was clear that they're on award tickets as opposed to upgrades. No need to rely on bloggers; passengers holding award tickets are entitled to AM or AS lounge access. This is different from passengers holding paid tickets which have been upgraded using some type of non-cash mechanism. Those passengers are entitled to lounge access based on the ticket that they purchased, before upgrade.
makrom and orbitmic like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
OP was clear that they're on award tickets as opposed to upgrades. No need to rely on bloggers; passengers holding award tickets are entitled to AM or AS lounge access. This is different from passengers holding paid tickets which have been upgraded using some type of non-cash mechanism. Those passengers are entitled to lounge access based on the ticket that they purchased, before upgrade.
Exactly. QR made headlines earlier this year when they removed lounge privileges from award upgrades. But award tickets (regardless of which FFP they are from) have not been affected.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The only part of most above answers I’d disagree with is limiting one’s off airport choices to the oryx rotana. It’s not that close to the airport anyway and Uber is cheap. Late evening and early mornings, most transfers will take 15-30 minutes by Uber at most (including the oryx, probably the only exception is th Sharq which is nearer and lovely but expensive).

So airport hotel most convenient but very expensive, or plenty of choice of 4 and 5* for quite to very cheap. I’d definitely recommend NOT to plan to sleep in the lounges the ill-named ‘quiet zone’ is made of booths which are nice to rest in but certainly not to sleep, and that’s what you’ll want at that time of night.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Check your ticket...QR used to offer free hotels to people with long layovers. We used that when transiting DOH last year on IAH-SIN itinerary. The lounge is OK to sleep in. There are quiet rooms with day beds, but not too comfy for a pregnant woman. You may be able to get QR to foot the bill for your overnight stay in the transit hotel as you are on a J itin.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by divrdrew
Check your ticket...QR used to offer free hotels to people with long layovers. We used that when transiting DOH last year on IAH-SIN itinerary.
They have a transit accommodation program, but the website is slim on details. It may be worth it to give the airline a call.

Last year, I booked the +qatar program, which requires a 12+hour layover, painlessly online, but transit accommodation seems to be more difficult to book.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
Check your ticket...QR used to offer free hotels to people with long layovers. We used that when transiting DOH last year on IAH-SIN itinerary. The lounge is OK to sleep in. There are quiet rooms with day beds, but not too comfy for a pregnant woman. You may be able to get QR to foot the bill for your overnight stay in the transit hotel as you are on a J itin.
QR only offers free hotels for revenue tickets. However, there are relaxation rooms past the dining area of the MA lounge near the shower area. Check it out if it meets the needs of your wife.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass
I haven't traveled with a pregnant woman, however I would recommend, if you are heading out anyway, to stay in one of the hotels in the souq. The souq only really gets busy from 9pm onwards to like 1am so there is a lot to see there, experience it and catch some winks before a quick taxi in the morning to the airport.

My 2 cents having been to DOH 100s of times.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
The STPC benefit is available for revenue tickets, but they don't book the Transit Hotel. They'll book in town at the Oryx Rotana (owned by QR) or other similar properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.