Elites in Boycott Countries

Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
You could look at it as you are still able to fly QR, by positioning to KWI or MCT, which is no different to a QRPC member who lives a country that QR used to serve/has never served - what sort of accommodation should he expect from QR?

Without getting too OT, the diplomatic spat is very deep; from a political point of view, it would make no sense that QR somehow gave residents of the KSA, most of whom are likely to be Saudi citizens an easy ride. As a further point, they could be accommodating to non-nationals living in KSA, UAE, etc. and discriminate the citizens, but if AAB envisions a day that the blockade would end, QR would be shooting itself in the foot.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:43 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by beduin

The crisis will eventually end.
let's hope so, my friend
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, TK Gold, QR Platinum, WY Sinbad Gold, SV Alfursan Gold
Originally Posted by ubiest
You could look at it as you are still able to fly QR, by positioning to KWI or MCT, which is no different to a QRPC member who lives a country that QR used to serve/has never served - what sort of accommodation should he expect from QR?

Without getting too OT, the diplomatic spat is very deep; from a political point of view, it would make no sense that QR somehow gave residents of the KSA, most of whom are likely to be Saudi citizens an easy ride. As a further point, they could be accommodating to non-nationals living in KSA, UAE, etc. and discriminate the citizens, but if AAB envisions a day that the blockade would end, QR would be shooting itself in the foot.
Never in my entire life have I seen a business, let alone a professional one, use politics to discriminate against customers. It would be a first.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Before the crisis I have always been a loyal member to QR. Now QR demands that I acquire 505 points or I lose my status when it does not even fly to Saudi Arabia. I emailed them with a suggestion that members in boycott countries be given a lower threshold to retain status and don't have to fly QR. That is a logical solution for us until the crisis does end. To cut us loose like that is unfair and shortsighted.
I'm missing the logic part of your logical solution. QR no longer serves the cities you need. Happens all the time, for lots of different reasons. I used to be a loyal PG customer; but it no longer serves UTH. In the U.S., I've been with AA for decades. But it no longer flies nonstop to SFO or LHR from BOS; so I look for alternate service on those routes.

Why would you expect QR to maintain your status if you're not flying with them?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, TK Gold, QR Platinum, WY Sinbad Gold, SV Alfursan Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm missing the logic part of your logical solution. QR no longer serves the cities you need. Happens all the time, for lots of different reasons. I used to be a loyal PG customer; but it no longer serves UTH. In the U.S., I've been with AA for decades. But it no longer flies nonstop to SFO or LHR from BOS; so I look for alternate service on those routes.

Why would you expect QR to maintain your status if you're not flying with them?
As I believe this is a temporary affair.. not permanent like the examples you mentioned. Saudi & UAE are cornerstones of QRs business, infact it wanted to establish an airline in Saudi but was stopped at the last minute. Your examples are different, as they rely on load factors. Everything can change in 1 day if there is political will.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: QR Platinum
QR extended my status for a year despite me not meeting the qpoint threshold (Qatar resident). However the scheme is vastly less appealing as the prices for Doha-origin flights have absolutely skyrocketed (close to 2x pre-blockade for off peak and upto 3-4x for peak !), points accruals have decreased and redemptions have materially increased in cost post May/June 2018. I regret switching over my primary account from BA to QR.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
As I believe this is a temporary affair.. not permanent like the examples you mentioned. Saudi & UAE are cornerstones of QRs business, infact it wanted to establish an airline in Saudi but was stopped at the last minute. Your examples are different, as they rely on load factors. Everything can change in 1 day if there is political will.
Time will tell if it's permanent. But being [hopefully] temporary doesn't make it different. PG has been in and out of UTH a couple of times since I've been living here. The roster of cities served by an airline is only permanent until the airline decides to change it. I don't see the fact that QR didn't make the change voluntarily as a sufficiently differentiating factor.

Don't forget, as well, that all the frequent flyers who are now traveling on other carriers are building up points, miles and status in the FF programs of those carriers. They may not be anxious to leave the others where they now have benefits, particularly given the higher prices on QR compared to before the blockade.

I understand what you're saying; I just don't agree.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:54 pm

Seeing how rational the ruler or his son/brother, whoever is in charge, is - don't be surprised if they declare all people living in Saudi give up Qatar FFP programme.

Isn't it already illegal to sympathize with Qatar if living there ?

Logic and middle East don't go together. Pride/Ego and middle East are match made in heaven
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Never in my entire life have I seen a business, let alone a professional one, use politics to discriminate against customers. It would be a first.
Yet, in a way, that is exactly what you are asking albeit in a context of positive discrimination. You want QR to positively discriminate citizens of Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and other countries blockading Qatar as a direct consequence of that political decision by their countries to operate that blockade.

If anything, I could see a logic in QR offering to those citizens and option to temporarily suspend their membership and resume it at the level they left it once the blockade ends and normal flight operations can resume. This would in a way put those years in parenthesis. However, what you are asking - ie that QR subsidises the lounge access, redemptions, and priority services of people not flying them for a prolonged period of time regardless of the reasons - strikes me as unreasonable. All the benefits you enjoy as a Platinum member cost money, and it would be quite a paradox that as QR already pays a real price for the blockade (in terms of trade, network, and longer flying routes), they further increase that cost by footing the corresponding bill for members who may not be paying a penny to QR for several years.
gms and Beltway2A like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
The bigger travesty is that you have to fly to KSA to begin with!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:51 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
If anything, I could see a logic in QR offering to those citizens and option to temporarily suspend their membership and resume it at the level they left it once the blockade ends and normal flight operations can resume. This would in a way put those years in parenthesis. However, what you are asking - ie that QR subsidises the lounge access, redemptions, and priority services of people not flying them for a prolonged period of time regardless of the reasons - strikes me as unreasonable. All the benefits you enjoy as a Platinum member cost money, and it would be quite a paradox that as QR already pays a real price for the blockade (in terms of trade, network, and longer flying routes), they further increase that cost by footing the corresponding bill for members who may not be paying a penny to QR for several years.
^ I was thinking along similar lines.

QR can't even post items from Qatar to blockade countries, so it starts to make it really complicated to even do basic membership services, such as sending out new cards. They could work around this, but politically that becomes messy.

I am sure that if/when the situation is resolved QR will be seeking ways to attract past loyal customers.
orbitmic likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.