787 J IFE Screen not functioning properly

Old Sep 5, 18, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold (OWS) / EK Silver / EY Gold / SPG
787 J IFE Screen not functioning properly

Hi all,

I have taken 3 flights in business on the 787 in the past few months and all 3 times, the IFE screen was not working properly. What was happening was, I had to pick whatever I wanted to watch through the handheld device, I was unable to brows through any menus on the screen itself. Outside of watching something, the screen just showed advertisements and was unresponsive on the touch screen. I asked the crew and they all seemed a it stumped by it and suggested I just use the handheld device to select what I wanted to watch, not a massive deal, but hard to use for browsing.

Is this a common issue or have I just been supremely unlucky? I had noticed some other people having the same issue and others screens were working fine.
Old Sep 5, 18, 4:54 am

Programs: qatar airways
I had exactly the same issue in J but not in Economy. In fact I found the economy system way way way easier to work.
Old Sep 5, 18, 5:29 am

I don't remember properly but I think on my first 787 flight (ARN-DOH) in J there was no problem with the screen.
Could select language, use the menu and start movies. Found the hand device very unresponsive and laggy so I didn't use it.

On the return flight I noticed the same as you. Couldn't use the touchscreen unless a movie was started. So I had to use the hand device and start movie.
As soon as the movie was running, it was no problem to use the controls on the screen. And I think it was also no problem to use the upper menu (go back to main, go to flight map, etc.)

In my opinion best IFE was on A380. Screen had no problems and the hand device is very responsive and working like it should.
Ease to navigate, select movies and start on screen.
Old Sep 5, 18, 5:35 am

Programs: Bonvoyed too much to care about Marriott/ BAEC Gold
I believe I read somewhere, that it is a "feature" by design. The A350 screen is a complete touch sensitive screen, the 787 only on the play/pause/stop buttons (on screen)
Go figure which crazy maker of these screens ever thought THAT would be a perfect logical choice.
Old Sep 5, 18, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
It's a really bad feature. I find the remote really fiddly to use and much prefer the other touchscreen systems.
Old Sep 5, 18, 7:57 am

I remember a 9h flight in an A350 with an IFE screen that randomly triggered clicks every few seconds, constantly causing the play bar to pop up (and navigating the menu was obviously hell). They tried "degreasing" the screen and restarting the system, but was in vain.
Or those A380 F seat control touch screens are very prone to malfunction. I had several flights where every odd click was registered at a completely different place than where i pressed. FAs always try to clean the screens, never fixed it so far.

What annoys me isn't that the FAs can't fix these problems, but that apparently they don't file a report so that engineering can fix it at the next best opportunity. Whenever I detect such defects, I report them during check out, stressing that it wasn't an issue and just want to bring it to their attention. It always seems to be very appreciated and whenever I had the chance to later on actually visit the same room, these problems were actually rectified. But QR just seems to have a "If you fail once, just ignore it"-paradigm.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 18, 8:29 am

Programs: qatar airways
Originally Posted by makrom View Post
I remember a 9h flight in an A350 with an IFE screen that randomly triggered clicks every few seconds, constantly causing the play bar to pop up (and navigating the menu was obviously hell). They tried "degreasing" the screen and restarting the system, but was in vain.
Or those A380 F seat control touch screens are very prone to malfunction. I had several flights where every odd click was registered at a completely different place than where i pressed. FAs always try to clean the screens, never fixed it so far.

What annoys me isn't that the FAs can't fix these problems, but that apparently they don't file a report so that engineering can fix it at the next best opportunity. Whenever I detect such defects, I report them during check out, stressing that it wasn't an issue and just want to bring it to their attention. It always seems to be very appreciated and whenever I had the chance to later on actually visit the same room, these problems were actually rectified. But QR just seems to have a "If you fail once, just ignore it"-paradigm.
The A380 F screen is way too complicated IMO.
Old Sep 6, 18, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The whole 787 J I was on had messed up ife today. Ranged from unresponsive touch screens to freezing in middle of movies to a few screens locked into a max brightness white screen with “Error could not locate remote server” on it. Really annoying for a day into night flight as they couldn’t be turned off.

Crew reset the system repeatedly. There were a couple of empty chairs and people were hopping from their own seat to those to watch a bit more while theirs was reset and so on. Overall a total pain.
Old Sep 6, 18, 1:50 pm

The system on the 787-8 is very finicky, glad its being replaced by the 787-9 starting next year with new products in J and Y.
Old Sep 8, 18, 3:01 am
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold
On my last 3 flights on the 787-8 (all three just last month), I've felt that suddenly many screens are very laggy, and would not function as a touchscreen when you put the handheld on remote control mode (and also whoever thought it is better to have everything control through the handheld is a horrible person!!).

Interestingly, some seats have IFEs that operate normally, and this is the case in my last 10 flights (before these three recent ones), I thought that the problem may be due to the content update but perhaps not...

and yes, this is all in J
Old Sep 8, 18, 9:47 am

I had the same issue recently on the A350. Night flight and my screen would freeze up and wouldn't turn off. The FA tried resetting several times, but no luck. In the end he stuck a safety information card over the screen so I could sleep without the light bothering me..!
Old Sep 10, 18, 9:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum AMB, PrivilegeClub Gold
I had a non-functioning remote/IFE once at the 787 business seat and the flight attendant pressed some parts of the screen to activate the full touch-screen mode so I could use it without the remote. She seemed to be the only one to know how to do it from the entire crew and this happened like 3 hours into a flight after the others tried resetting the system many times.
Old Sep 10, 18, 2:52 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeRitz-Carlton Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold
I just came off another 788 flight, and the monitor started behaving erratically when I was browsing the music albums. Note that it was in "full touch screen mode". It finally stopped working when I selected an album (perhaps the songs it contained are so bad that the system refuses to play it? ) and the screen crashed.

It restarted itself and went into the normal mode, when the remote control is still in "remote control mode/full touch screen", so I wasn't able to use the screen at all
Old Sep 19, 18, 1:52 am

Had 4 flights in 5 days, 3 on a 788 and one A340 (in J).

On all 3 788 flights issues with screen and or remote control and or headphones. A340 IFE was perfectly fine.
Old Sep 20, 18, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I Just come off two 787 flights. IFE working fine. If you want to use the main screen as a touch screen just press and hold your finger in the top right hand corner for 10 seconds and it will go into touch screen mode.

Last edited by jday; Sep 25, 18 at 11:04 pm

Search this Thread