Wiki Posts
Search

Skip Last Leg & take separate flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum / SQ Gold
Skip Last Leg & take separate flight

I booked the cheap Biz Flight from CMB-DOH-PHL return and added a separate ticket from BKK-CMB return. Unfortunately, Sir Lankan Airlines cancelled the morning flight on our return CMB-BKK and we have a long layover in CMB. Mrs dont want to have such a long layover and I thought I apply the following: I will check-in all our luggage under my name for PHL-DOH-CMB and on separate ticket (UL) to BKK. We will fly back from PHL to DOH and my wife will continue with a separate QR one-way ticket (no checked luggage) to BKK. Once we arrive in DOH I would tell at the gate that my wife need urgently to get back to BKK and they can cancel the last leg DOH-CMB. Do you foresee any issue? Should I split the ticket in advance and she will be just no-show? Could they refuse her on the other ticket back to Bangkok?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: QR Plat
Im only on my phone now, so I can’t type much, but I await the others explaining how this plan is not working in so many ways.

-A
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:46 am

I'm still trying to understand

So you both want to fly PHL-DOH-CMB-BKK as route.
QR is: PHL-DOH-CMB (all luggage on your name)
UL is: CMB-BKK (all luggage on your name)
Overlay in CMB is too long.
New ticket for your wife (one way) with QR: CMB-BKK (no luggage)

Is this correct?

If you don't exceed the baggage limits (2 pieces, max. 32kg per piece), there should be no problem with your luggage. Just say both are yours.
Booking the tickets should be no problem, because the routes are on different airlines (UL and QR).

I see the problem with skipping the last leg only for your wife (on same PNR). But I think there are better experts here.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Hi, please apologize for the unclear explanation. Here is what I booked and what will be flown:

Booked one ticket QR (myself & wife): CMB - DOH - PHL - DOH - CMB
Booked one ticket UL (myself): BKK-CMB-BKK
Booked one ticket UL (wife): BKK-CMB (one way)
Booked one QR (wife): DOH-BKK (one way)

Fly (myself): BKK-CMB-DOH-PHL-DOH-CMB-BKK (two tickets: UL & QR)
Fly (wife): BKK-CMB-DOH-PHL-DOH-BKK (3 tickets: 1 x UL / 2 x QR + 1 "no-show" leg DOH - CMB)

I plan to check my wife's luggage under my name for the return flight from PHL-DOH-CMB and to split the booking into two PNR. So she just skip the last leg DOH-CMB (on her CMB-DOH-PHL-DOH-CMB ticket) and take the a separate flight from Doha back to Bangkok.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:04 pm

She can walk away from the last leg of any ticket, if she doesn't have any checked luggage. But there are two potential problems with the plan you described:

(a) your wife has two flights at the same time on QR, DOH-BKK and DOH-CMB. It is impossible to fly both. I don't know how efficient QR is at detecting impossible/unreasonable/duplicate bookings, but it could detect it at any time starting now. If it does so, one booking may get canceled. If you are unlucky, the entire PHL round trip could get canceled.

(b) She may have to go landside in order to check in for DOH-BKK---I am not sure. If yes, she might need a visa.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
She can walk away from the last leg of any ticket, if she doesn't have any checked luggage. But there are two potential problems with the plan you described:

(a) your wife has two flights at the same time on QR, DOH-BKK and DOH-CMB. It is impossible to fly both. I don't know how efficient QR is at detecting impossible/unreasonable/duplicate bookings, but it could detect it at any time starting now. If it does so, one booking may get canceled. If you are unlucky, the entire PHL round trip could get canceled.

(b) She may have to go landside in order to check in for DOH-BKK---I am not sure. If yes, she might need a visa.
Thank you for the advise. Some more clarification:

(a) Last Leg DOH-CMB is departure on Saturday at 18:00. Her flight DOH - BKK would be Sunday at 02:15. So I hope it helps that its another day and the system is not able to detect. I booked the DOH-BKK flight with miles (can cancel FOC as QR Plat). Hope nothing happens.

(b) no issue, she is entitled for Visa on arrival and fast track as on Business Class and QR Plat.

What would you consider the risk factor?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
I don't foresee an issue here
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
I see no problem at all but make it super clear with the check in agent that you absolutely need he/she checks all the luggages under your name as I did something similar in the past and just told the check in agent all the luggage were my friend’s ones and realized just after check in that all the bags where checked under my name It was in BKK and after a long discussion they offered to retag luggages at the gate, but only 2 of the 4 bags. As I could not have more than 1 free checked bag on my subsequent non QR flights we finally agreed that my friend would take the smallest as cabin luggage and got 2 checked bags so I had only 1 checked bags. It was during the golden age of globetrotter campaign when I had to fly to crazy destinations to get the huge Qmiles bonus ;-)
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Given that she now has a 10 hour transit in DOH.. Wouldn’t it make more sense to just book a really nice hotel in Negombo for the night, have a nice breakfast and continue on your travels?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:26 pm

I believe OP’s current routing gets to CMB at 1:45a, and departs at 2:20p to arrive in BKK at 7:25p. That’s 6hrs after his wife would expect to land in BKK if taking the direct DOH-CMB flight (arr.1:30p).

If the OP can get his bags booked directly to BKK via CMB on UL (see Schwann’s post regarding QR’s interlining on separate OW tickets here), then he may be able to stay airside.

While he will not be allowed into the lounge with 12hrs before the flight (have had UL deny me until 6hrs before on separate tickets) but there is an airside transit hotel (which I’ve never used). As such, no need to exit the airport (with the hassle of immigration) to get to Negombo at ~3:00a for 8-9hrs, most of which would be sleeping. The only exception is if one wants to get some beach / pool time.

On the OP’s original question: is the 6hrs saved really worth the cost paid, including the uncertainty and mileage required? Have you checked with QR as to potentially changing the ticket’s destination to BKK and seeing how much that would come to?

Last edited by crackjack; Sep 5, 2018 at 10:32 pm
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crackjack
I believe OP’s current routing gets to CMB at 1:45a, and departs at 2:20p to arrive in BKK at 7:25p. That’s 6hrs after his wife would expect to land in BKK if taking the direct DOH-CMB flight (arr.1:30p).

If the OP can get his bags booked directly to BKK via CMB on UL (see Schwann’s post regarding QR’s interlining on separate OW tickets here), then he may be able to stay airside.

While he will not be allowed into the lounge with 12hrs before the flight (have had UL deny me until 6hrs before on separate tickets) but there is an airside transit hotel (which I’ve never used). As such, no need to exit the airport (with the hassle of immigration) to get to Negombo at ~3:00a for 8-9hrs, most of which would be sleeping. The only exception is if one wants to get some beach / pool time.

On the OP’s original question: is the 6hrs saved really worth the cost paid, including the uncertainty and mileage required? Have you checked with QR as to potentially changing the ticket’s destination to BKK and seeing how much that would come to?
Absolutely correct crackjack. I supposed to take the morning flight from CMB at 09:10 AM arriving at 12:15 PM in BKK however UL cancelled it on Sunday's and re-booked me on 2:35 PM departure.
I flew last April this routing and several time in the past from BKK via CMB to QR destinations as the fares were considerable cheaper than out of BKK. I had as well layovers in CMB and Negombo however its quite a hassle (immigration and departure). I used back in April for the layover the transit hotel, its fine. Wife is not so happy as its add quite few more hours flying via CMB and especially on the return flight she wants to be back in BKK asap. Seems flying with her through CMB is not anymore an option 'haha'. Now trying to convince a last time as ticket is already booked, couldn't resist to book it for roughly USD 1100.

I think QR just apply the full change fee and requote the entire ticket (which makes it not anymore attractive to fly out of CMB).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.