Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

A futile exercise in checking weights of carryons

Old Sep 3, 18, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat

I'm sitting looking at the boarding queue at the gate at OSL for the fligh to DOH.

The two agents doing the pre-screening are equipped with what we call "fish hook weights", so they can check carryons that look heavy. Even the biz queue gets the treatment.

What I don't get is why this wasn't done at check-in. Once you are this far in the system the passengers have no way of shedding the weight, and all that happens is rearranging of items and then they get let in.

-A
Old Sep 3, 18, 11:04 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Exactly, no real way of shedding the weight and while some people can rearrange, there will also be some that will be completely caught out and have to pay to put their bag in the hold.
Old Sep 3, 18, 11:43 am

What happened if you were overweight?
Old Sep 3, 18, 12:25 pm

On my recent Qatar flights at two different outstations and at Doha I've had my hand luggage weighed. However, it was done at check-in each time, not at the gate.

Maybe this is something that's been sent down from above. Got to squeeze each penny from passengers during these troubling times.
Old Sep 3, 18, 3:41 pm

Not futile. It generated a post on here (and maybe elsewhere) that may discourage future overweight bags.
Old Sep 3, 18, 3:44 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
There was a recent thread about it happening at JFK too, so perhaps this is now something QR are focusing on.

M
Old Sep 3, 18, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I really hope not. It's happened quite a few times in the past but never systematically. I never get the point of drastic weight limits given that overheads are able to carry fairly heavy bags.
Old Sep 3, 18, 6:40 pm

Programs: QRPC-Gold & Star-Alliance
This is a perenial concern for me, as I generally fly Thailand-UK (the longer sectors) with almost-empty bags, but am always loaded to-the-max when returning ... a crackdown would be one more reason to switch to another airline in-future, so I hope it's just isolated cases.
GalaxyChris and Cheetah_SA like this.
Old Sep 3, 18, 7:21 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by ph-ndr View Post
What I don't get is why this wasn't done at check-in. Once you are this far in the system the passengers have no way of shedding the weight, and all that happens is rearranging of items and then they get let in.

-A
If you have hand baggage only and do OLCI it is likely that the first time the airline staff see you is at the gate. I am all for a crackdown as abuse of the hand baggage rules is rampant (across all airlines).
ph-ndr, mpkz and pointy like this.
Old Sep 3, 18, 11:04 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Tit
Originally Posted by minz56 View Post
If you have hand baggage only and do OLCI it is likely that the first time the airline staff see you is at the gate. I am all for a crackdown as abuse of the hand baggage rules is rampant (across all airlines).
I disagree, we have all our reasons/job/requirements/lenght of stay who are different.
if I can save my travel because few excess kilo in my hand luggage, I will call that be clever.

Valuable things cannot go in the checked luggage, also Electronic devices who become more part of our everyday life or work

For the airlines it will change nothing because I always do not use most of my checked luggage allowance.

have you experienced lost luggage ? weeks without your suitcase ? I do not plan to ruin a travel for avoiding few kilos excess.

Of course I do not talk about LCC or Basic fares...
​​​​​​
Old Sep 3, 18, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I never get the point of drastic weight limits given that overheads are able to carry fairly heavy bags.
Would you rather a 7kg bag dropped on your head or a 17kg one?
nancypants and pointy like this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
Would you rather a 7kg bag dropped on your head or a 17kg one?
an empty bag: so should we just forbid hand luggage altogether then? After all even a 3kg bag falling on your head would most likely leave you with very serious injuries.

there is no reason bags should fall off if they fit well in the overhead and thatís a matter of number and size. Iím not aware that U2 which sets no limits or BA which sets it as 23kg have had more deaths by falling suitcases than QR and Jetstar and their 7kg bags.
GalaxyChris and clubeurope like this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 1:20 am

The safety issues of carry on luggage are not only to do with them falling on your head but also aircraft performance and mass and balance considerations. Airlines typically use assumed weights for hand luggage (an assumed weight for a passenger and their hand luggage) and when you have a bigger cabin baggage allowance you increase the variability of the actual weight of cabin baggage and lower the accuracy of the assumed weight. If 100 passengers take 10kg extra of hand luggage that is not accounted for it could make the difference between hitting or missing an obstacle in an engine out scenario after take off. If an airline decides to use a higher assumed standard weight it would end up having to unnecessarily leave behind passengers and cargo, QR's US-DOH flights typically fly at or close to maximum takeoff weights and so if QR decide to use higher standard weights 77W/A350 flights would have to leave behind payload.

Weighing hand luggage can be useful especially for performance critical flights or flights with known issues to verify assumptions are accurate as well as catch heavier bags and gate check them.
msm2000uk and windchaser777 like this.

Last edited by N1Rotate; Sep 4, 18 at 2:27 am
Old Sep 4, 18, 4:28 am

Programs: qatar airways
To be fair we will all have seen some people who abuse the allowances by a HUGE amount. I regularly travel now with just hand luggage but if my bag was too heavy and it had to go in the hold so be it.
Old Sep 4, 18, 4:53 am

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Tit
Originally Posted by N1Rotate View Post
The safety issues of carry on luggage are not only to do with them falling on your head but also aircraft performance and mass and balance considerations. Airlines typically use assumed weights for hand luggage (an assumed weight for a passenger and their hand luggage) and when you have a bigger cabin baggage allowance you increase the variability of the actual weight of cabin baggage and lower the accuracy of the assumed weight. If 100 passengers take 10kg extra of hand luggage that is not accounted for it could make the difference between hitting or missing an obstacle in an engine out scenario after take off. If an airline decides to use a higher assumed standard weight it would end up having to unnecessarily leave behind passengers and cargo, QR's US-DOH flights typically fly at or close to maximum takeoff weights and so if QR decide to use higher standard weights 77W/A350 flights would have to leave behind payload.

Weighing hand luggage can be useful especially for performance critical flights or flights with known issues to verify assumptions are accurate as well as catch heavier bags and gate check them.
What if most passengers are overweight this day ? It's a safety issue ?

​​​​Lets start to weight QR passengers ? no sens again.

Safety are more related to flight plan, maintenance issues, technical problem... but not 3kg more hand luggage or ... in my stomach.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: