Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Using DOH Arrivals Lounge For Shower While In Transit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

All,

Connecting in DOH next month with a three hour layover. Flying J. Has anyone used the arrivals lounge for a shower as an alternate to waiting for one in the J class lounge? The wait is usually quite long and you cannot leave the waiting area without risking missing your spot. With the ability to clear immigration quickly both ways (using the lounge inbound and the J class area outbound), I think it would be pretty painless.

Is there usually a wait for showers in the early AM in the arrivals lounge? Are the showers better ventilated than the ones in the main lounge?

Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:13 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

On my last 4 visits to AM in the last few weeks, I haven't had to wait for showers at all... even during the supposed rush hours... honestly I didn't know what was going on...

If you do choose to use the arrivals lounge, be prepared to be questioned on the reason of your visit and such...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: Some
I used the arrivals lounge on a six hour layover once - wasn’t quite long enough to bother with a hotel and knew I’d be too late to Al Mourjan to get any of the sleeping pods / didn’t fancy how busy it would be. I was literally the only person in the lounge for most of the time and had a nice family room to myself but the cleaners were very loud! If you’re happy to forgo the alcohol in Al Mourjan the food and decor is basically the same, plus it’s a lot quieter.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: Some
Sorry, I didn't actually answer your question! I didn't experience any wait for the showers but I left before 6am as I had an early flight, at around 5.30am when I used the showers it was just me. I don't think they were notably better ventilated, fairly similar but maybe ever so slightly cooler.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I used the arrivals lounge on a six hour layover once - wasn’t quite long enough to bother with a hotel and knew I’d be too late to Al Mourjan to get any of the sleeping pods / didn’t fancy how busy it would be. I was literally the only person in the lounge for most of the time and had a nice family room to myself but the cleaners were very loud! If you’re happy to forgo the alcohol in Al Mourjan the food and decor is basically the same, plus it’s a lot quieter.
I never really noticed much food when I was through the arrivals lounge, is it hidden? I will admit that I have never "lounged" at the arrivals lounge and typically am straight to immigration.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
I never really noticed much food when I was through the arrivals lounge, is it hidden? I will admit that I have never "lounged" at the arrivals lounge and typically am straight to immigration.
There are two arrival lounges. I believe the one you're referring to is the one right before immigration (where the border agents are in the lounge). That lounge has basic refreshments (soda, water, some snacks). The real QR arrivals lounge is after customs, just walk left. I went there a week ago and they had an a la carte menu to order from (mainly deli-style sandwiches served in proper plates and cutlery). I was the only one there, it is really quiet, which means the service is quite good.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pursh
There are two arrival lounges. I believe the one you're referring to is the one right before immigration (where the border agents are in the lounge). That lounge has basic refreshments (soda, water, some snacks). The real QR arrivals lounge is after customs, just walk left. I went there a week ago and they had an a la carte menu to order from (mainly deli-style sandwiches served in proper plates and cutlery). I was the only one there, it is really quiet, which means the service is quite good.
Ahhhh, ok, I didn't even know about the "real" arrivals lounge as I have always just grabbed my bag and headed out. Thanks for the info!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:07 pm

I assume you need to get a visa to get into the arrivals lounge. How long does that take?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:15 pm

this is correct. The area before immigration is technically the VIP immigration waiting area.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by fleet100
I assume you need to get a visa to get into the arrivals lounge. How long does that take?
Over 80 nationalities do not need a visa anymore... otherwise you’d have to request a visa online through Qatar Airways which takes at least a week I believe
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by PresRDC
All,

Connecting in DOH next month with a three hour layover. Flying J. Has anyone used the arrivals lounge for a shower as an alternate to waiting for one in the J class lounge? The wait is usually quite long and you cannot leave the waiting area without risking missing your spot. With the ability to clear immigration quickly both ways (using the lounge inbound and the J class area outbound), I think it would be pretty painless.

Is there usually a wait for showers in the early AM in the arrivals lounge? Are the showers better ventilated than the ones in the main lounge?

Thanks!
You know there are two sets of showers? The ones in the main lounge area connected to the restrooms usually have a wait, but head to the second set in the back in the quiet area and there is usually no wait. Air flow is slightly better back there, too.
Bigmamma likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Hi any data point on access of the arrival lounge with a ticket which has been upgraded using q points. I am to reach Doha at 6:30 AM and my next flight is at 3 PM. I may be eligible for stpc however i feel if I can get a quick nap and shower in the arrival lounge before 10 AM I may as well spend a little time in a mall for lunch and head back to the airport.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
You know there are two sets of showers? The ones in the main lounge area connected to the restrooms usually have a wait, but head to the second set in the back in the quiet area and there is usually no wait. Air flow is slightly better back there, too.
My experience is different than that with the showers in the quite area but it is all about timing at this lounge for sure.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
Hi any data point on access of the arrival lounge with a ticket which has been upgraded using q points. I am to reach Doha at 6:30 AM and my next flight is at 3 PM. I may be eligible for stpc however i feel if I can get a quick nap and shower in the arrival lounge before 10 AM I may as well spend a little time in a mall for lunch and head back to the airport.
Earlier this year I tried to access the premium arrivals facility (the one before immigration) and was refused as I upgraded with cash for my business ticket. I’m assuming that also means no access to the post-immigration arrivals lounge as well.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Earlier this year I tried to access the premium arrivals facility (the one before immigration) and was refused as I upgraded with cash for my business ticket.....

It's amazing how petty QR can be.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.