Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

George Calombaris (restauranteur) partnership with QR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

George Calombaris (restauranteur) partnership with QR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Thumbs up George Calombaris (restauranteur) partnership with QR

Australian chef and restauranteur George Calombaris is cooking up a series of Greek-inspired dishes for Qatar Airways' first class and business class passengers, although smashing the plates after your inflight feast is not recommended.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/george-calo...tm_source=hero
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Sounds yummy. Seems I will get a chance to try his dishes on the SYD-DOH in November. ^
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:17 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

interested on how this would pan out...

I wouldn't say the partnership with Nobu made quite the best dishes
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
If nobody has reported before, my next ex-SYD will be in mid September so I'll be happy to report.

I do agree that not all celebrity chef partnerships lead to good (let alone great) food. That said, things like Moussaka mentioned here strike me as the type of dish which could fit the processes of in flight dining (reheating in a convection oven, effect of cabin pressure on taste buds etc) quite well even though it does not try to be "classy". Look forward to seeing a full menu.

PS: paradoxical that MEL is getting the dishes a month later than all the other Oz stations even though this is where Calombaris actually has his restaurants!!
djsflynn and clubeurope like this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Sorry something went wrong with my photo upload. Will try again shortly to add TR

Last edited by orbitmic; Sep 16, 2018 at 7:32 pm
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Last Friday SYD DOH in F the two dishes by George were a cold Fraser Island Crab starter and a Beef Short Rib. Both were rubbish. The crab was very bitter due to too much pith from the lemon rind, and the beef was tough. Big disappointment.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Last Friday SYD DOH in F the two dishes by George were a cold Fraser Island Crab starter and a Beef Short Rib. Both were rubbish. The crab was very bitter due to too much pith from the lemon rind, and the beef was tough. Big disappointment.
hmmm that's too bad. though necessarily what is planned on the ground wouldn't taste the same in the air. And it seems many partnerships with celebrity chefs end up this way.

and not to say that the crew fully knows how to pull off the dishes faultlessly.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:28 am

Beef is generally challenging as airline catering food, and I realized time and again that QR is not among those who have overcome this challenge (try SQ or OS to see how it's done).
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope
hmmm that's too bad. though necessarily what is planned on the ground wouldn't taste the same in the air. And it seems many partnerships with celebrity chefs end up this way.

and not to say that the crew fully knows how to pull off the dishes faultlessly.
This is why SQ has facilities to simulate the onboard tasting experience, including pressure and humidity. I think they are the only airline that does that though.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by makrom
This is why SQ has facilities to simulate the onboard tasting experience, including pressure and humidity. I think they are the only airline that does that though.
... which completely explains the quality of SQ's meals.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:36 am
soy

Programs: various
Not sure if any of these celebrity chef tie-ups actually work. QR normal food is very good, and I am skeptical (for the reasons mentioned above), if any star-chef involvement is needed.

The fastest way to top-line in flight meals, is to hire Do&Co and give them a decent budget. I have yet to see this method fail.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by soy
Not sure if any of these celebrity chef tie-ups actually work. QR normal food is very good, and I am skeptical (for the reasons mentioned above), if any star-chef involvement is needed.

The fastest way to top-line in flight meals, is to hire Do&Co and give them a decent budget. I have yet to see this method fail.
Add new trolleys?
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Seems like YMMV. I just had both of them in J SYD - DOH and the Beef Short Rib was excellent. The meat was very tender and juicy and also excellently seasoned. I would rate it as the best airplane meal I've ever had and the quality of the meat even compared to high-end restaurants on the ground. The potatoes in the meal were rubbish though and the crab starter was nothing to write home about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.