Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar Counter at JFK-Strict!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Back when I could fly international first class for my work I found that many airlines allowed up to 3 32 kg bags in first. Personally I rarely went over 1 bag but sometimes my bag went up to 25 or 27 kg.
So all there is left to do is convincing QR to offer first class tickets to JFK and NBO and find someone who pays for the ticket. Problem solved.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:00 am
fomerly CoachBoy

Programs: United Premier Platinum, British Airways Silver
Originally Posted by makrom
So all there is left to do is convincing QR to offer first class tickets to JFK and NBO and find someone who pays for the ticket. Problem solved.
The issue isn't the checked bag allowance, it's letting me bring an extra 4.5 Kg of carryon.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:17 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CoachBoy
The issue isn't the checked bag allowance, it's letting me bring an extra 4.5 Kg of carryon.
Is your laptop large? If you could place it in a bag or backpack that passes off as your 'personal item' that could probably be helpful. In my experience at JFK, they don't weigh this. I technically flew with with over 15 kg of cabin luggage if one were to count in my ~5kg personal item (laptop in my backpack).
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:26 am
fomerly CoachBoy

Programs: United Premier Platinum, British Airways Silver
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Is your laptop large? If you could place it in a bag or backpack that passes off as your 'personal item' that could probably be helpful. In my experience at JFK, they don't weigh this. I technically flew with with over 15 kg of cabin luggage if one were to count in my ~5kg personal item (laptop in my backpack).
This would be fine as the roller is 14.25 Kg and my personal item is 5 Kg. The website is a little confusing as it says J passengers can bring 2 carry-ons totaling 15 Kg, but it also makes reference to a personal item "In addition to your hand baggage allowance". Do I get 1+1 or 2+1?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by CoachBoy
This would be fine as the roller is 14.25 Kg and my personal item is 5 Kg. The website is a little confusing as it says J passengers can bring 2 carry-ons totaling 15 Kg, but it also makes reference to a personal item "In addition to your hand baggage allowance". Do I get 1+1 or 2+1?
2+1
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
All airlines clearly publish their baggage rules, and this has been since time immemorial. However, enforcement of the said baggage rules is, and can be, inconsistent and can vary depending on location and also loads on flights as well as how much of a hurry the agents are to get the flight off the gate for an on time departure, so this is not a QR issue in particular, but I would proffer it to be industrywide phenomenon. I have seen on numerous occasions flights where either the check-in agents or gate agents are zealously enforcing baggage weight limits, and at other times, same flight, same airline, different date, no one even bothers. It's just difficult to say, though the LCC's obviously have a greater vested interest in making sure bag limits are adhered to as its a significant revenue stream for them as part of their business model. Anecdotally, I was told by a BA crew member during a friendly conversation during a crew break they were having at a hotel bar that most American and European airline unions do not allow their members to handle and lift more than the stated baggage limits for safety reasons as well as insurance coverage, as back and other injuries increase as airline staff have to handle heavier loads.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
First went to PER with QR in J in 2015. Hand luggage only as I despise checking bags. No issue. Was never weighed.

Last 2 times it was weighed and was told I had to check it. Got on board. I had the whole bin to myself. I could have held on to the bag but ground staff were having none of it.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
If you *really* couldn't have your handbaggage checked as hold baggage, why not just rent an airport locker and store it during checkin so they won't ask -or if travelling with a partner check in separately and watch each others hand baggage.

That's assuming they don't check again at the gate, but I haven't seen scales at gates.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I had a couple of colleagues who had their carry on baggage weighed while in QR J traveling from Europe to Sydney. I was a little nervous when checking in at LAX recently. However, the women in front of me had eight suitcases and two dogs so no one even paid any attention when I checked a bag to look at my carry-on. No problem when returning from Europe or after an overnight in DOH either.

So ... its pretty random.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by AZbba
If you *really* couldn't have your handbaggage checked as hold baggage, why not just rent an airport locker and store it during checkin so they won't ask -or if travelling with a partner check in separately and watch each others hand baggage.

That's assuming they don't check again at the gate, but I haven't seen scales at gates.
They technically attach cabin luggage tags and all, but they don't seem to matter.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Man, they really are taking no prisoners at JFK. I had 9.6kg on the wheels and 6.1kg on my back, and there was no way i was getting both bags on board! Despite rather pathetically playing the "but I'm in business and the flight is only half full" card. Pack carefully everyone if you want to keep your bags out of the hold.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope
Actually, many airlines accept bags at 32kg when the traveller is flying in Business or First and occasionally in Economy as well. Other airlines not so.

Last I recall, SQ allows bags at 30kg, and so does MH.

Virtually all long haul flights bound to the US uses the piece system. QR, like many others, allocates J passengers 2 pieces of baggage at 32kg each. They weren't being lenient, I was just following their written rules.

Finally, I am quite used to lift and carry luggage of up to 32kg. I am a rower by hobby, so carrying heavy weights aren't too much of an issue. Still, I would imagine many travellers also not having much of a problem bringing such heavy luggage, especially since the advent of the wheeled luggage, as well as airport trolleys.
For me either...but then I haven't tried lifting and moving 100's of heavy bags each day as the baggage handlers have to do..... and lets face it, luggage is not exactly shaped to be easy to lift....I think in Australia the 32kg is a strict OH& S limit...which seems entirely reasonable to me....
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by trooper
For me either...but then I haven't tried lifting and moving 100's of heavy bags each day as the baggage handlers have to do..... and lets face it, luggage is not exactly shaped to be easy to lift....I think in Australia the 32kg is a strict OH& S limit...which seems entirely reasonable to me....
yes, I would agree that 32kg is almost universally and should be the strict limit for luggage weight.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

... advising J pax not to worry about their hand-baggage weight, as QR rarely checked.
Some airports are stricter than others ... but I would agree the US is more likely down to the Baggage Handlers Union ...
Sorry, but what does the Baggage Handlers' Union have to do with hand baggage?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: BA
As far as I'm concerned - it's totally fair. A recent flight back from BKK had my carry-on weighed and it was found to be over the limit. Had to remove some stuff into a plastic bag (some treats bought in the terminal for my co-workers). Plain and simple, it is a safety issue and I applaud QR for taking this seriously. Many airlines (BA) allow people to take ridiculously large carry-on bags and boy, do I complain about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.