Wiki Posts
Search

AMS - SA Massive Price Hike

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
AMS - SA Massive Price Hike

The last couple of years, I've been able to get very good return J fares to SA, around 2-2.4K Euro, now they are now 4.2-4.6K depending on whether its to JNB or CPT, bring it in-line with ex-LHR prices.

The flights from AMS in J are rarely completely full, and the last trip to JNB there were some empty seats both ways.

I know that QR are taking a hit with the blockade, but at these prices, I might have to go back to BA
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by escape2sun
The last couple of years, I've been able to get very good return J fares to SA, around 2-2.4K Euro, now they are now 4.2-4.6K depending on whether its to JNB or CPT, bring it in-line with ex-LHR prices.

The flights from AMS in J are rarely completely full, and the last trip to JNB there were some empty seats both ways.

I know that QR are taking a hit with the blockade, but at these prices, I might have to go back to BA
Routes between the Netherlands and South Africa probably represent one of the few sweet spots in the airlines network. So it seems a reasonable strategy for them to try to milk it. The tendency is always to go too far, and kill the goose along with its golden eggs. So I'd expect they're monitoring the demand/price curves to ensure they maximise revenue, rather than stifle it.

There again, we're talking about Qatar Airways .....
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
The prices remain reasonable until December, then they double.

Interestingly if you go from BRU, then they train you to AMS and the price is reduced to around 2,8K on the days I want to travel. I assume there is no way for QR to check that I caught the train?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by escape2sun
....I assume there is no way for QR to check that I caught the train?
This might help:

Surface Sectors - If you skip them, does it still cancel the rest of the itinerary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.