Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Privilege Club account suspended after redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Privilege Club account suspended after redemption

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
With regard to the credit card piece of this, I'm not surprised. It's not at all unusual in SEAsia to be required to show the physical credit card at airport checkin. UL does this 100% of the time ex-BKK, for example. If they see a ticket charged to a credit card not yours, they may view this as helping you out. The "thief" who breached your account and used your miles could also have done the same with a credit card. Can't speak to the other stuff....
This makes a LOT of sense. Now, here's the situation:

1) you book someone else with your credit card
--> QR ask to see the card used for the payment at checkin (not unusual), pax is stuffed;

2) you book someone else with their credit card:
--> come visit an office with your passport, you are stuffed;

Yeah, right!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Whilst one entirely feels the frustration of the OP who cannot use his account, I think that people are failing to consider the counterfactual here. Account hacking and identity theft do occur. They occur increasingly frequently and their authors are increasingly effective, with the criminals able to effectively make their victims' life hell on earth.

At some points, if this is what is feared, you need a robust process in place, and quite frankly, however inconvenient, there are cases where accepting an emailed copy of an id would not in any way, shape, or form, protect actual victims as criminals will certainly not hesitate to produce fakes.

I wonder if the OP asked to show the required documents at an airport office even if QR sub-contracts. That may satisfy the "in person" requirement whilst enabling the op to have credentials checked nearer his place of residence.

Others' point that there may be a suspicion of bartering/illegal use of points is possible but there is nothing in the communication the OP received that suggests that this is indeed the reason for the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.