Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How often does a sale happen in the UK ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:54 am
Original Poster

How often does a sale happen in the UK ?

Hi guys, I can currently book a flight from EDI to HKG on J for £2100 which everything considering, is damn cheap compared to BA which is £3700 (I think they increased their prices recently).

So I am thinking if I should book it now or should I wait for a sale? Looking to travel mid October for about 10 days.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:46 am
Suspended

There are barely ever good UK sales, even during the big QR sales. Cheapest from LHR recently has been about 1400 RT to SE Asia, not sure if HKG is included in that. I'd go ahead and book.

That being said, QR has gone so long without a sale that either they've finally got management that care about profits because of the blockade or we're due for the mother of all sales
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by AceCobra1
Hi guys, I can currently book a flight from EDI to HKG on J for £2100 which everything considering, is damn cheap compared to BA which is £3700 (I think they increased their prices recently)..
I'd look at ex ARN, OSL, BRU, AMS, CDG, etc. as they have much cheaper flights. All three alliances are below £1,750. Their onboard product may not be as good as QR's J, but their routings are cheaper and quicker.
AceCobra1 likes this.

Last edited by WorldLux; Aug 2, 2018 at 5:59 am
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
They had a recent sale to Hong Kong from Manchester and LHR for circa £1400, so I doubt you will see another for the period you want to fly.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
If you don't mind having a long layover in Doha in each direction, and depending on how flexible you can be with dates, you should be able to pick up a return from Gatwick to Hong Kong for between £1500 and £1750 in October:
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
I can currently book a flight from EDI to HKG on J for £2100 which everything considering, is damn cheap compared to BA which is £3700 Looking to travel mid October for about 10 days.
BA INCEU60 ex-AMS can get you to HKG (via LHR and BKK) for circa GBP1450 J - currently available year round with a 60 day advance purchase requirement.

Alternatively I believe BA DUS LHR HKG and vv is currently available for circa GBP1600 J.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

BA INCEU60 ex-AMS can get you to HKG (via LHR and BKK) for circa GBP1450 J - currently available year round with a 60 day advance purchase requirement.

Alternatively I believe BA DUS LHR HKG and vv is currently available for circa GBP1600 J.
Thanks for the reply - so how should I be searching? Like from LHR to AMS to HKG in BA's website ?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:04 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
https://www.google.fr/flights/#flt=L...;sc:b;sd:1;t:f

Haven't tried other dates but you can book LHR-DOH-HKG for later this year (first segment on BA, QR ticketed) for £1500. Try clicking a few dates you want as they came up as £2100 until I actually selected them.

This HKG fare seems to have been around for a while, which especially out of London is strange for QR at the moment given the lack of sales.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paul Coles
https://www.google.fr/flights/#flt=L...;sc:b;sd:1;t:f

Haven't tried other dates but you can book LHR-DOH-HKG for later this year (first segment on BA, QR ticketed) for £1500. Try clicking a few dates you want as they came up as £2100 until I actually selected them.

This HKG fare seems to have been around for a while, which especially out of London is strange for QR at the moment given the lack of sales.
Thanks for the suggestion but I am pretty fixed on my dates - need to travel either 16th/ 17th October then returning on late night 27th October
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:26 am

Business class on the BA777s which fly to BKK is, by all acounts very poor - certainly not a patch on QR. However if you fly direct to HKG and then take a side trip to BKK making sure you stay more than 24 hours you will get the same price, with the option of flying to and from Hong Kong on the BA A380 where business class is a lot better (albeit still a long way behind QR.

I'm not sure that you can book the BKK side trip on the BA website. But you can do a multi-flight search on Google flights: AMS-HKG-BKK-HKG-AMS with the HKG-BKK-HKG sectors being on CX or RJ and this should price up correctly. Then 'phone BA to make the booking.

You will of course need a positioning flight to AMS, and if you don't really relish a second visit to Amsterdam, book your final flight LON-AMS from LCY or LGW, so you get to collect your luggage at Heathrow, and then sadly miss the connection on to Amsterdam
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Thanks for the reply - so how should I be searching? Like from LHR to AMS to HKG in BA's website ?
At the risk of repeating what I have recently posted on n the ‘Sale Fares Discussion’ thread on this forum - select Netherlands as your country on BA.com and (my preference) type in a multi-city itinerary of AMS LHR SIN BKK HKG LHR AMS. INCEU60 rules charge, from memory, an additional EU100 per stop (more than 24 hours) - so ensure your stay in SIN is less than 24 hours. Your stay in BKK (essentially the destination for this fare) can, in my experience, be as short as an hour. The extra EU100 you have to pay is for your multi-day stopover in HKG.

As others have said, try and avoid the apparently crappy BA 777 on the LHR BKK route, and instead fly BA’s A380 to SIN (earns extra Tier Points). SIN BKK HKG is with CX (from memory, if you select CX712 - SIN BKK HKG you don’t even have to get off the aircraft in BKK).

I actually prefer to play around with itineraries on ITA before plugging in dates/times at BA.com.

You can search for more information on the FT BA forum.

However, above all else I prefer to fly QR!
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

I actually prefer to play around with itineraries on ITA before plugging in dates/times at BA.com.
I had it my mind that this couldn't be booked on BA.com, so I've just tried, and failed - twice. I then clicked on the Help on using this search button and the following pops up

Getting the best search results

In order for us to offer you a suitable flight routing for complex journeys, your search should only include routes that we or our partners fly on with a BA flight number (e.g. BA10).We do not have direct services between some cities. For example in the following itinerary:

London to Hong Kong
Hong Kong to Bangkok
Bangkok to LondonWe do not fly directly from Hong Kong to Bangkok, and would be unable to book this part of the journey on ba.com. You would be able to book this with us if you call us. The following link will provide you with suitable contact details in your area.
So are you mis-remembering, or do you have a way of making this work on BA.com?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
@AceCobra1: In case you're still looking for QR flights to HKG. Qatar : LGW- HKG GBP 1499 RT Business
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:26 am

@AceCobra1 I'll be in HKG roughly the same time as you - I'm using GF LHR-BKK and then EK BKK-HKG with a couple of nights in BKK at each end. Whole thing about £1500.

Better timings for me than the QR options that had very, very long layovers in DOH to get the lower fares.

Downsides - no mileage earning for me in any useful programme and the GF A330 to from BKK.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:56 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by mr_botak
@AceCobra1 I'll be in HKG roughly the same time as you - I'm using GF LHR-BKK and then EK BKK-HKG with a couple of nights in BKK at each end. Whole thing about £1500.

Better timings for me than the QR options that had very, very long layovers in DOH to get the lower fares.

Downsides - no mileage earning for me in any useful programme and the GF A330 to from BKK.
I'm considering booking the GF flights but all of the OTA get shady reviews, who did you book with?

Hoping the A330 seat will be like Qatars older 777 seat, which I actually find spacious and comfortable. They look the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.