BA South Lounge at LGW flying Qatar

Old Sep 25, 18, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Work-Shy View Post
I just walked out of the awful Aspire lounge and used Lounge Key to access the No1 Lounge instead. There is nothing aspirational about the Aspire lounge (unless you like a small tepid buffet in a basement). The food may not be much better upstairs but at least there is a view and more space.
Yep, that's what Aspire lounges are. The only decent one I have seen so far was the one in ZRH, perhaps because it's kind of their home base.
Old Oct 22, 18, 8:50 am

Any recent experiences of the Aspire lounge? Flying QR as well and I'm a big fan of the J lounge in the South Terminal, happily spending an hour or two there usually. It seems that I may be best to reduce this time if flying out of the North Terminal?

Also I can't seem to find any info on what drinks are provided and whether it's champagne or prosecco? I had read on previous reviews that bubbles were only available for an extra charge (pre refurbishment) although I'm hoping that isn't the case anymore when travelling as OWS/QR J.

Edit: Just seen this: https://www.executivelounges.com/air...airport-lounge

Would appreciate any info on whether the additional supplements are for guests that pay for entry only or for all guests regardless of status.

Last edited by abc193; Oct 22, 18 at 8:56 am
Old Nov 5, 18, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
To answer some of my original questions. We did use the Aspire lounge, we did get a voucher from check-in. The bubbles were chargeable so we didn't have them and the lounge was overall rather uninspiring, although they did have a quite nice curry and rice dish. As a non-OW lounge it didn't seem that status meant anything here.
Old Nov 6, 18, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by LimitingFactor View Post
To answer some of my original questions. We did use the Aspire lounge, we did get a voucher from check-in. The bubbles were chargeable so we didn't have them and the lounge was overall rather uninspiring, although they did have a quite nice curry and rice dish. As a non-OW lounge it didn't seem that status meant anything here.
Very polite :-) It's an absolute dump!

I would avoid it altogether and when I book now I would only choose Gatwick for a price differential. The LHR lounge experience was great, so quite a large gap in the experience for me.
Old Nov 6, 18, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Originally Posted by matt_s_london View Post
Very polite :-) It's an absolute dump!

I would avoid it altogether and when I book now I would only choose Gatwick for a price differential. The LHR lounge experience was great, so quite a large gap in the experience for me.
I flew into LGW on QR for the first time ever last week (having flown out of LHR). I actually found it to be excellent for arrivals, the QR early morning arrival turns up at a *very* quiet time for the North Terminal and I was literally the only passenger in the immigration hall when I arrived first off the plane. Luggage delivery was also extremely prompt, far more so than LHR usually manages.

I wouldn't hesitate to fly QR into LGW again, but I agree for departures that between the LHR Qsuite/A380 combo and the huge gulf in lounge experience LGW needs to be at a massive discount for me to prefer it.
Old Nov 6, 18, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation View Post
I flew into LGW on QR for the first time ever last week (having flown out of LHR). I actually found it to be excellent for arrivals, the QR early morning arrival turns up at a *very* quiet time for the North Terminal and I was literally the only passenger in the immigration hall when I arrived first off the plane. Luggage delivery was also extremely prompt, far more so than LHR usually manages.

I wouldn't hesitate to fly QR into LGW again, but I agree for departures that between the LHR Qsuite/A380 combo and the huge gulf in lounge experience LGW needs to be at a massive discount for me to prefer it.
Great point - I agree I fly a fair bit from LGW on BA and almost always have a good experience with baggage, immigration etc..