Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Redemption of qmiles on partners. Your experience?

Redemption of qmiles on partners. Your experience?

Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:43 am

In case someone has something to share, I am particularly interested in recent experiences with JL or CX J/F awards. At the moment all my search attempts fail.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:06 am
Original Poster

So I see we have something in common
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: Some
After much messing around I can finally report a successful partner redemption through QRPC.

I had originally intended to book a CX F return ticket to HKG from LHR given this is probably the best value QR redemption from Europe at 255k return, but the current QR booking process makes this extremely difficult as it is highly likely that by the time QR get back to you on your partner redemption request someone else will have already taken one of the two seats. Note that QR's current online tool for requesting partner redemptions is also very restrictive on routing, e.g. you can only request LHR-HKG and not LHR-HKG-x on CX - I'm not sure if this is deliberately restrictive or just more bad IT.

I instead decided to go for a JL F return to HND for 300k, not cheap but better than wasting the miles on Duty Free or QR J flights. I submitted a request through the online form and around 12 hours later I received an email allocating me a service request number. About 48 hours after that I received an email with a link to a provisional booking online which gave me 72 hours to pay before the booking became invalid. Unfortunately, this is where QR's usual terrible customer service kicked in as due to a change in plans I needed to change the return date of the flight. A quick email to QR gave me another service request number for the change and an assurance they were working on it but they of course didn't complete the request before the previous booking expired. No-one bothered to email me to tell me I needed to make a new request as the previous booking had expired and I only found this out when I emailed them to ask how the change was progressing. Another request submitted through the online form, another 48 hour wait and I now have a confirmed JL F ticket booked with Qmiles.

Of particular interest is that I was not charged the new $75 per F segment booking fee that would have applied on a QR redemption, so it appears partner redemptions are even more attractive now if you're looking to use up orphan Qmiles.
tropikey and makrom like this.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Aug 19, 2018 at 5:02 am
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Good to know, as JL flight (only in J though) is in my plans too.
How much did you pay for taxes?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by tropikey
Good to know, as JL flight (only in J though) is in my plans too.
How much did you pay for taxes?
388 return in taxes and fees, which is the same as BA charges for the booking with Avios.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
After much messing around I can finally report a successful partner redemption through QRPC.

I had originally intended to book a CX F return ticket to HKG from LHR given this is probably the best value QR redemption from Europe at 255k return, but the current QR booking process makes this extremely difficult as it is highly likely that by the time QR get back to you on your partner redemption request someone else will have already taken one of the two seats. Note that QR's current online tool for requesting partner redemptions is also very restrictive on routing, e.g. you can only request LHR-HKG and not LHR-HKG-x on CX - I'm not sure if this is deliberately restrictive or just more bad IT.

I instead decided to go for a JL F return to HND for 300k, not cheap but better than wasting the miles on Duty Free or QR J flights. I submitted a request through the online form and around 12 hours later I received an email allocating me a service request number. About 48 hours after that I received an email with a link to a provisional booking online which gave me 72 hours to pay before the booking became invalid. Unfortunately, this is where QR's usual terrible customer service kicked in as due to a change in plans I needed to change the return date of the flight. A quick email to QR gave me another service request number for the change and an assurance they were working on it but they of course didn't complete the request before the previous booking expired. No-one bothered to email me to tell me I needed to make a new request as the previous booking had expired and I only found this out when I emailed them to ask how the change was progressing. Another request submitted through the online form, another 48 hour wait and I now have a confirmed JL F ticket booked with Qmiles.

Of particular interest is that I was not charged the new $75 per F segment booking fee that would have applied on a QR redemption, so it appears partner redemptions are even more attractive now if you're looking to use up orphan Qmiles.
Thanks for sharing. It is quite encouraging to hear that it actually works. I too noticed the problem with CX awards, but I will probably just book some cheap Avios awards for the continuing legs.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just a datapoint for you guys about this ridiculous QRPC program. I have requested for a cancellation of my CX flights booked with qmiles. As a gold member, I expected a full refund of miles and cash paid for taxes and surcharges. However, QRPC deducted an amount of 1090THB from the refund explained as a 'non-refundable booking fee'. The amount of 1090THB is however, according to the e-ticket itself, is a YR. In fact, the $25-75 per sector award fee has never been charged when I pay for this ticket, in keeping with what other posters in this thread have experienced.

I wrote an e-mail to QRPC for clarification. After 10+ days of no response plus one follow-up email from me stressing there is nowhere on the QR website indicating any part of the taxes and surcharges paid is non-refundable, they just replied back with this.

Dear Mr. ________,

Thank you for writing to Privilege Club. We value your business.

We apologize for the delay in replying to you and appreciate your patience.

With reference to your email below we request to visit the link below where it is mentioned that booking fees is non-refundable.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv...ancements.html

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this regard.

Do let us know if we can assist you any further.

Sincerely,
xxxxx xxxxxxx
Privilege Club Team
So, according to this email, they are pointing towards the $25-75 per sector booking fee which has never been charged in the first place. I understand that the booking fee, if imposed, would be reflected on the e-ticket but that is nowhere to be found. I know QR is having a financial issue due to the blockade but twisting their tongues and this kind of IDGAF customer service attitude is way beyond my imagination.

EDIT: According to that very link the very helpful QRPC agent kindly sent me ... it also says this
* Booking fee excludes taxes and surcharges. Booking fee is only applicable on Qatar Airways flights. It is not applicable on partner airline flights. Booking fee is non refundable.
So now I don't know why on earth QR would refuse to refund the YR part to me and try to put up with this booking fee crap. I've just sent an email to them to point out the clause. Should I also give them a call or something?

Last edited by kornner; Aug 21, 2018 at 2:22 am
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Originally Posted by kornner
Just a datapoint for you guys about this ridiculous QRPC program. I have requested for a cancellation of my CX flights booked with qmiles. As a gold member, I expected a full refund of miles and cash paid for taxes and surcharges. However, QRPC deducted an amount of 1090THB from the refund explained as a 'non-refundable booking fee'. The amount of 1090THB is however, according to the e-ticket itself, is a YR. In fact, the $25-75 per sector award fee has never been charged when I pay for this ticket, in keeping with what other posters in this thread have experienced.

I wrote an e-mail to QRPC for clarification. After 10+ days of no response plus one follow-up email from me stressing there is nowhere on the QR website indicating any part of the taxes and surcharges paid is non-refundable, they just replied back with this.

So, according to this email, they are pointing towards the $25-75 per sector booking fee which has never been charged in the first place. I understand that the booking fee, if imposed, would be reflected on the e-ticket but that is nowhere to be found. I know QR is having a financial issue due to the blockade but twisting their tongues and this kind of IDGAF customer service attitude is way beyond my imagination.

EDIT: According to that very link the very helpful QRPC agent kindly sent me ... it also says this

So now I don't know why on earth QR would refuse to refund the YR part to me and try to put up with this booking fee crap. I've just sent an email to them to point out the clause. Should I also give them a call or something?
Please by all means keep on trying to have QR apply their own rule and respect you as a customer, i'm curious to know the outcome ...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by kornner

Sounds like a typical QRPC issue. I see no reason why you would't be right, I never heard of such a booking fee for partner awards, unless if booked over the phone (back when this was still possible). Trying to resolve such issues over the phone is usually a complete waste of (not to be underestimated amount of) time. If anything, contacting QR on social media (FB, Twitter) seems to be a valid last resort these days, lately this is the only channel where I heard stories of success every now and then.
But if it's of any consolation, this is most likely incompetence rather than greed. I guess if I were you, I would just be happy that the damage is only ~$30.
You did already plan to credit your flights to another FFP from now on, didn't you? Otherwise, this would be my prime recommendation. QRPC is in so many ways no longer a reliable partner. It's not just the constant f-ups but also the total inability to rectify these issues.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: QR Platinum
I could successfully do an oneway redemption for a QF flight (AKL-MEL) in Y for 2 persons. Total cost for 2 was 111,50 NZD plus 50.000 Qmiles. I also wanted to book a QF redemption MEL-BME-HVB but the system only allows for 2 seaparate redemptions MEL-BME and BME-HVB which makes it far too expensive. End of last year I was able to get a redemption for ADL-MEL-HBA in "one piece", so I am not sure why this is not possible for other routings with a stop in between.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by toz100
I could successfully do an oneway redemption for a QF flight (AKL-MEL) in Y for 2 persons. Total cost for 2 was 111,50 NZD plus 50.000 Qmiles. I also wanted to book a QF redemption MEL-BME-HVB but the system only allows for 2 seaparate redemptions MEL-BME and BME-HVB which makes it far too expensive. End of last year I was able to get a redemption for ADL-MEL-HBA in "one piece", so I am not sure why this is not possible for other routings with a stop in between.
AKL-MEL costs 10000 Avios per person. Feels like such a waste ever having credited to QRPC (except for those 5x Qmiles promotions)...
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by makrom
AKL-MEL costs 10000 Avios per person. Feels like such a waste ever having credited to QRPC (except for those 5x Qmiles promotions)...
Very true. I am now close to finishing off all of my old Qmiles and will not credit to QRPC again. At least I participated in some of the the multiple promos and the Globetrotter campaigns in the past. I am retired now and will choose my flights (Y for short/medium distance flights and J for longhaul) only based on price/quality relation without any price adjustment for dubious FFP gimmicks which may be close to worthless as we experience right now with QR.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:06 am

Very true. I am now close to finishing off all of my old Qmiles and will not credit to QRPC again. At least I participated in some of the the multiple promos and the Globetrotter campaigns in the past. I am retired now and will choose my flights (Y for short/medium distance flights and J for longhaul) only based on price/quality relation without any price adjustment for dubious FFP gimmicks which may be close to worthless as we experience right now with QR.
Yep I don't regret crediting to QRPC for those super hyper promotions. It's all the other flights that I credited to QRPC too since I didn't want to bother with crediting to several different OW programs. And before what became known as the May Massacre, this wasn't completely unreasonable. Qmiles have always had inferior value, but it was acceptable with status bonus when flying mostly with QR.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I could successfully do an oneway redemption for a QF flight (AKL-MEL) in Y for 2 persons. Total cost for 2 was 111,50 NZD plus 50.000 Qmiles.
I also wanted to book a QF redemption MEL-BME-HVB but the system only allows for 2 separate redemptions MEL-BME and BME-HVB which makes it far too expensive. End of last year I was able to get a redemption for ADL-MEL-HBA in "one piece", so I am not sure why this is not possible for other routings with a stop in between.
There is no flight BME-HVB. Would have to be BME-BNE-HVB. Or drive from Brisbane to Hervey Bay

With MEL-BME-HVB are you wanting a stopover in BME?
Does QR allow stop overs on awards?

Great Circle Mapper

Or did you mean MEL-BNE-HVB? What airport codes did you enter online?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 23, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
There is no flight BME-HVB. Would have to be BME-BNE-HVB. Or drive from Brisbane to Hervey Bay

With MEL-BME-HVB are you wanting a stopover in BME?
Does QR allow stop overs on awards?

Great Circle Mapper

Or did you mean MEL-BNE-HVB? What airport codes did you enter online?
Sorry for the typo! Yes indeed, I wanted to select MEL-BNE-HVB which the system didn't allow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.