Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

How likely is QR to enforce its carry on rules in business class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador

I have used many QR flights as BA GoldGuestList / OWE without problems, assuming QR was similar to BA for hand baggage.
I just fell foul of the QR baggage rules on a ICN-DOH flight - but managed to argue my way on.
BA carry-on allowances are generous and practical: Hand luggage must not exceed 56cm x 45cm x 25cm and 23kg per bag.
QR business are similar to Ryanair: Max dimensions are 50x37x25cm (20x15x10in) and 7kg/bag (poss 15kg if 1 bag in business).
Probably not bad for a confident road-warrior - but I just had to advise my family taking a QR flight to travel with small bags after this
experience...

Has anybody else had similar problems - or do QR normally turn a blind eye to bags in business class?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Stopover in DOH. Went shopping in Doha, came through C/I in Hamad and just for fun weighted my hand luggage at their C/I desk = 14 kg
His response: " Oh... I have not seen that... go on..."
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Why the need for two threads?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyerkit
I have used many QR flights as BA GoldGuestList / OWE without problems, assuming QR was similar to BA for hand baggage.
I just fell foul of the QR baggage rules on a ICN-DOH flight - but managed to argue my way on.
BA carry-on allowances are generous and practical: Hand luggage must not exceed 56cm x 45cm x 25cm and 23kg per bag.
QR business are similar to Ryanair: Max dimensions are 50x37x25cm (20x15x10in) and 7kg/bag (poss 15kg if 1 bag in business).
Probably not bad for a confident road-warrior - but I just had to advise my family taking a QR flight to travel with small bags after this
experience...

Has anybody else had similar problems - or do QR normally turn a blind eye to bags in business class?
Per QR webpage...
"First Class and Business Class customers are allowed to carry two pieces of baggage on board, not to exceed a total weight of 15kg (33lb)"

Not sure what they enforce...that if traveling business with only one bag that it can be the total weight of 33lbs or if traveling with just one bag it can only be 15lbs. 33lbs is a lot to cram into one carry on. I know that when we were traveling back from HKT-DOH-ORD, at HKT we had issues because we had multiple carry on bags and we exceeded both the weight limits and bag allowance. Travel with a lot of camera equipment, only going to get worse since we started vlogging recently=more equipment, and dry goods (snacks etc to cut costs when traveling/have some of our own US food when at hotel/resorts) and one was our overnight bag in DOH since our luggage was checked all the way through to ORD. At the check in counter the rep contacted a supervisor and we had to explain that we needed the additional carry on for our overnight stuff and we could not put it in one of our other carry on's as those were already at the limits, and there is no way I am checking a soft sided bag that has all Canon equipment in it. We were extremely happy we were able to get through. Hoping for the same in March 2019.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Originally Posted by nilsfr69
Stopover in DOH. Went shopping in Doha, came through C/I in Hamad and just for fun weighted my hand luggage at their C/I desk = 14 kg
His response: " Oh... I have not seen that... go on..."
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Why the need for two threads?
One got moved from ba forum
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Emirates has an even more restrictive policy; 7kg/bag for two bags, but no option for one heavier bag, even in business. I showed up with my single backpack which was probably just over 15kg and nobody raised an eyebrow. I could have worked it out...my pack always contains another pack. But they clearly weren't paying any attention anyhow.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Only time I've had checkin staff have any interest in weights of luggage of any kind was when passing through BKK on the same flight as Al-Baker. Ground staff in BKK was a right pain and they pretyt much behaved as if they wanted customers to get lost and only focus on him.

-A
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:28 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
Only time I've had checkin staff have any interest in weights of luggage of any kind was when passing through BKK on the same flight as Al-Baker. Ground staff in BKK was a right pain and they pretyt much behaved as if they wanted customers to get lost and only focus on him.

-A
I checked in at EDI with two cabin bags, the first being one of those heavy globe-trotters with 18kg and the second, a full duffel bag... The check-in attendant requested me to put the bag on the scale so she can put on the cabin luggage label... I thought ‘Uh oh’, then she just proceeded to say that the trolley case is a ‘wee bit heavy and I should move a bit of things to the duffel bag’. She let me through though.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
I walked on in AUH after a day of shopping with my 2 carryons and several bulging shopping bags. No issues
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
At CBR they weigh all hand luggage including for J passengers. I did online checkin and went straight to the lounge. Told there that i have to also check in at the desk. Went there, leaving luggage in lounge, only to find out that i had to come back with it to get it weighed. Luckily security was a breeze so it didn't take too long.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
One got moved from ba forum
FT rules (#6) do not permit cross-posting.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
experience...

I've never had a bag check weigh on QR flights in J, however most of my QR have been to BKK and MEL & AKL I think as others posters have said it tends to only on routes that are notorious for taking too much (places in Africa and the subcontinent come to mind)
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
I've never had a bag check weigh on QR flights in J, however most of my QR have been to BKK and MEL & AKL I think as others posters have said it tends to only on routes that are notorious for taking too much (places in Africa and the subcontinent come to mind)
The only problem I consistently have in Africa is JRO where they check passports before walking up to checkin, and the two regular nincompoops manning this station keep claiming they cannot accept me on the flight because my passport (European country) needs a visa to where I go to (usually OSL/CPH) and no visa means no checkin. Try telling them about Schengen usually yields nothing, pointing them to Timatic (which they have open on a laptop) yields no cooperation and usually just blocking the queue and causing a backlog untill thet get someone more senior and knowledgable over usually helps.

But no issues on cabin luggage, which can be hefty on those trips. Same in EBB and NBO which I also randomly appear at.

-A
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: BAEC
Bonus point for using the word nincompoops.
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:40 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
ARN and AKL both weighed my hand baggage at check in, but I had put some items elsewhere so they didn't get included in the weight nobody cared at the gates though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.