Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR - Why do you do this, how can you do this!!!

Old May 29, 2018, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, OneWorld (BA) Emerald

So I am on the infamous LON - DOH - BKK route tonight, meant to be QR002 - QR832 A350-1000 (Q Suites) and A380-800 bar and individual seats.

Well, went to check in and I am on an A350-900 and B777, So I am assuming the -900 still has the Q suites, but the 777 will not have individual seats, or bar; all services that I paid for. As has been discussed before, the A380 flights are more expensive and I specifically chose those, as I am quite a private person traveling alone.

I just don't understand how QR can do this, I know there is a clause in the conditions of travel to change equipment as operationally needed, but you would expect them to be of the same type of configuration? I feel, that particularly the DOH - BKK leg is massive downgrade, with no word from QR at all.

Very disappointed and frustrated.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:11 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Just to pose things from a different angle:

What would you do if your DOH-BKK had been switched to a QSuites operated 777?

M
Old May 29, 2018, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Just to pose things from a different angle:

What would you do if your DOH-BKK had been switched to a QSuites operated 777?

M
Feel very lucky that I got an upgrade
Old May 29, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
If the A350 flight switched to an A380 only fair that QR charges you an extra fee at check-in right?

Time to come back to the red side and take EK004
EK004 Regular and nilsfr69 like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Well, some good news, A7-ANA is the QR2
Old May 29, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by EK004 Regular
Well, some good news, A7-ANA is the QR2
Why are that good news?

Ahh, got it now ;-)
EK004 Regular likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:09 am
Original Poster

I need some perspective. I know that. I am just very disappointed that they don't seem to deliver a consistent product, also this always happens!
Traveller999 and NJSwamplands like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:45 am

I need some perspective. I know that. I am just very disappointed that they don't seem to deliver a consistent product, also this always happens!
I, like you, book a specific set of hard and soft product. From my reading here QR seems to swap out the hard product more frequently than others. Disappointing and makes me want to look at other airline options.

I have the same QR832 flight as you but coming up this Monday. It was booked specifically for the seating privacy and social bar. I am not amused, looking at flightaware history, of the uptick in frequency of this flight getting the 77W swap.

Last edited by NJSwamplands; May 29, 2018 at 5:51 am Reason: speeling
Old May 29, 2018, 6:27 am

It used to be a common phrase around here to always take aircraft changes into account when booking QR.
NJSwamplands and nilsfr69 like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by makrom
It used to be a common phrase around here to always take aircraft changes into account when booking QR.
It's the first rule of QR F(l)ight Club!
I2sky, ashbjr, united78 and 6 others like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by makrom
Absolutely, which is why sympathy for those who suffer from a switch is a little muted...

But the situation has changed, now that airline is introducing a cash supplement based on aircraft type. Presumably the supplement stays in QR's pocket when the equipment is changed, rubbing salt in the customer's wound.

I suppose the equivalent scenario in grown-up airlines is paying for seat selection, but not getting the chosen seat. You expect to get the seat-selection fee back.
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It's the other way around: consider yourself extremely lucky, to flight the product you actually booked!
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Classic siloisation between revenue, planning and loyalty departments, as suffered by most airlines.
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:29 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
Feel very lucky that I got an upgrade
Indeed, it would have been upgrade in this specific scenario. However, I too would be pretty upset with the downgrade in your situation, despite what the “spin doctors" say.
Traveller999 likes this.

Last edited by NoY; May 30, 2018 at 2:55 am Reason: typos
Old May 30, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), AI - Maharajah (* gold), Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Sixt - plat
Earlier this month, I found myself on a A320/321 standard recliner aircraft (with iPads handed out for entertainment) instead of the 777W I booked. The difference between the 2 aircrafts in J, for a 5/6hr (late evening) flight, is significant. I was made aware of the change while transiting in Doha, but was told that the A320 had flat beds. While, I have travelled enough to know flight swaps happen, given the significant downgrade, I would have appreciated correct information and the offer of other options, even if it meant departing later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.