FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   QR827 Almost Empty BKK-DOH May 22 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1910567-qr827-almost-empty-bkk-doh-may-22-a.html)

escape4 May 22, 2018 6:06 am

QR827 Almost Empty BKK-DOH May 22

About two weeks ago, my flight DOH-BKK on the A380 had nobody at all in F and in J we were no more than 15 passengers. I did not see how many in economy downstairs but the flight attendant told me it was not many. I thought that was a light load, until my flight earlier today BKK-DOH. I was almost alone at check-in and almost alone in the lounge which I thought was odd. There was almost nobody at the gate for boarding and I was not at the last minute, so I thought maybe everybody boarded very early? We were only 5 people in J. I checked in Y and see picture below. This was during the flight.

Posts #30 (55 passengers) and #38 (70 passengers) also refer to quite empty planes in the thread "substantial loss for FY Ending March 31". But today we were surely only a small fraction of the small loads referred to in that thread. The J cabin was crowded with 5 people relative to what I saw in Y!
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...ch-31-a-3.html

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b7881453bf.jpg

tboons May 22, 2018 6:34 am

Tbh, they should just reduce prices to get the load back.... Prices on QR has been creeping up and in a competitive market, they are losing out. Now, Emirates and Etihad economy tickets are cheaper than QR from many Ex Asian destination.they got too. Many things wrong and not one right thing...

NJSwamplands May 22, 2018 6:58 am

Originally Posted by tboons (Post 29781047)
Tbh, they should just reduce prices to get the load back.... Prices on QR has been creeping up and in a competitive market, they are losing out. Now, Emirates and Etihad economy tickets are cheaper than QR from many Ex Asian destination.they got too. Many things wrong and not one right thing...

I would jump on last minute booking if QR stopped playing games with blocking seats. I bet QR showed all of those seats as blocked on Expert Flyer ;-)

Maybe I am just a little light in my thinking on how to accomplish this but I would gladly take a poor mans J by taking a 3 across economy row to sleep in.

tboons May 22, 2018 8:17 am

I am also thinking if I should upgrade my upcoming flight in view of the possibly of poor man J. 1 week out and the seat map is very empty!

Phil the Flyer May 22, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by tboons (Post 29781047)
Tbh, they should just reduce prices to get the load back.... Prices on QR has been creeping up

+1 ^

I’d buy a bunch of J flights tomorrow if QR were to reinstate some circa GBP1k fares from Western Europe (anywhere, I’m not fussy) to SE Asia.

You’ve only got to look at the inactivity in the FT QR Forum Sales Fares sticky threads (Discussion and Pricing) to realise that QR’s competitive premium airfares have all but disappeared.

The current situation has even reduced me to consider flying BA again!!! :eek::eek::eek:

thibderoc May 22, 2018 8:27 am

I have recently tried to book flights from western europe to BKK. It appears that the A380 flight was always the most expensive one. Moreover, it always implies a longer layover as it arrives at 11 am while flights between DOH and Europe are mainly scheduled in the night (except for cities with >3 daily flight).
Maybe this also explains the light load

EK004 Regular May 22, 2018 9:40 am

I am on QR827, on Wednesday and then QR832 about 4 days later. The map is looking very empty at the moment!

ORDPLATAA May 22, 2018 9:41 am

Flying DOH-BKK on Sunday. I was the only one on the Upper Deck and suddenly the seat next to me and the two behind me are occupied (not blocked). Very odd because the seatmap looks to be VERY empty.

ph-ndr May 22, 2018 9:52 am

I'm on the QR833 late next week and it looks to be packed to the gills in J, judging by the seatmap. Also, no chance of upgrade to F.

-A

FlyerTalker688786 May 22, 2018 9:55 am

Opening lounge to oneworld sapphire and emerald instead of the crap offering now and I will fly Qatar more often.

tartempion May 22, 2018 10:00 am

I flew BKK-IST-BRU in J on TK this Sunday May 20 because QR got too expensive.
J nearly full except 4 bulkhead seats, lots of room in Y so to see.
Excellent flight & service although I prefer 1/2/1 seat layout.
QR to BKK to BRU is now almost all B777/300 thus also 2/2/2
I do love QR's A380 however, especially in J

ms101 May 22, 2018 10:50 am

KUL-DOH on the A346 tonight, J had 8 passengers and Y had 60 passengers. Looks like LHR-DOH is full at least in J though.

makrom May 22, 2018 10:54 am

Great, and I wouldn't be surprised if those flights had 0 award availability. I actually checked F availability for DOH-BKK/BKK-DOH quite frequently and availability has been pretty much inexistent.
QR may have a good safety record but someone in their rev management is really working hard on ramming the whole airline into the ground. As much as one might question the economic feasibility of cheap tickets, having such super low loads is pretty much the worst that can happen from a revenue point of view.

msm2000uk May 22, 2018 11:36 am

Worth adding that it's low-season in BKK, so lower than average loads.

That, plus Ramadan, plus the lack of school breaks etc, may add to the emptiness onboard.

M

tboons May 22, 2018 4:09 pm

That's why in view of the low season, prices could be lower to engage the customers or have those triple qpoints promo?