Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR827 Almost Empty BKK-DOH May 22

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by GBobon
lots of cargo on A380's huge belly, more revenue than from pax tickets sometimes QR and EK block lots of seat to make space for cargo (info from inside)
If someone at QR thinks the 380 is a good cargo plane it explains why they're headed straight into the ground. As others have pointed out the 380 has atrocious cargo capacity, a 77W carries almost 3 times the cargo mass than an A380. You may want to reconsider whose information you trust.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MattHall

Just 68 pax total? I’ve flown KUL-DOH on the A346 3 times in the last year and it’s been rammed every time! Not seen a single empty seat.

I’m missing a trick here!
exactly! i've even been bumped up to J because Y was oversold. Well I'm on the reverse flight on july 12th so will report back! hoping my flight stays empty
Old May 30, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Not stuck with an Alliance anymore, Star gold, OW Saph
Just bought a F fare on LH instead of QR J for the same price.....huge increase from CDG and most european cities even SQ most of the time less expensive in J (but I hate their seat)
Traveller999 likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by GBobon
lots of cargo on A380's huge belly, more revenue than from pax tickets ...
QR might currently be getting more revenue from cargo on its A380 - but if it is, then that's a function of low passenger demand vs high demand for cargo space because of the blockade.

apart from that, the A380 has a miserable capacity for cargo. All in all it's an aircraft that never quite worked out, except in very specific roles: it was certainly a dreadful choice for the QR fleet.
windchaser777 likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
QR might currently be getting more revenue from cargo on its A380 - but if it is, then that's a function of low passenger demand vs high demand for cargo space because of the blockade.

apart from that, the A380 has a miserable capacity for cargo. All in all it's an aircraft that never quite worked out, except in very specific roles: it was certainly a dreadful choice for the QR fleet.
But you can see it working on certain routes at specific times. For instance to cover the Tokyo olympics in 2020 and world cup in 2022. Then J & F demand will be higher. However F isnt that much better than J on QR IMO
Old May 31, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
But you can see it working on certain routes at specific times. For instance to cover the Tokyo olympics in 2020 and world cup in 2022. Then J & F demand will be higher. However F isnt that much better than J on QR IMO
Well. yes: those are the specific-type roles that suit the A380. But the speculative acquisition of aircraft to serve with glory over a couple of months far in the future is not the most rational of decisions. Of course this analysis is with the benefit of hindsight - the plans to use the aircraft on high density routes might have come off, but did so only partially: it was pretty clear though, even before the blockade, that Bangkok was getting too much capacity thrown at it.

By the way, not sure why you are fixated on F and C: those vast numbers of A380 economy-class seats need to be filled as well - just not by the folk who contribute to this forum
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Well. yes: those are the specific-type roles that suit the A380. But the speculative acquisition of aircraft to serve with glory over a couple of months far in the future is not the most rational of decisions. Of course this analysis is with the benefit of hindsight - the plans to use the aircraft on high density routes might have come off, but did so only partially: it was pretty clear though, even before the blockade, that Bangkok was getting too much capacity thrown at it.

By the way, not sure why you are fixated on F and C: those vast numbers of A380 economy-class seats need to be filled as well - just not by the folk who contribute to this forum
I am not fixated by F & C at all. I predominantly fly in cattle. I am lucky enough to have traveled in all three. Several times I have been in econ on a 380 and it has been full. As you have said they opened up more departures to and from BKK thus lightening the loads on all planes.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
i thought F was damn amazing then again I was one of 2 pax with 3 cabin crew all Thai and superb
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by spec119
i thought F was damn amazing then again I was one of 2 pax with 3 cabin crew all Thai and superb
Glad you enjoyed it. I was one of four . excellent cabin crew, great bathrooms and nice snack selection, but IMO the J product is so good that the F had no wow factor for me.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:33 am

Glad you enjoyed it. I was one of four . excellent cabin crew, great bathrooms and nice snack selection, but IMO the J product is so good that the F had no wow factor for me.
Well, I don't know about wow factor, but I largely prefer F too. I don't care much about caviar or Krug, but it's just much more quiet and roomier and I sleep so much better. And of course the bathroom is worlds ahead.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by makrom
Well, I don't know about wow factor, but I largely prefer F too. I don't care much about caviar or Krug, but it's just much more quiet and roomier and I sleep so much better. And of course the bathroom is worlds ahead.
Yes way way quieter, and the bathrooms are amazing. I agree re Krug and Caviar. However , it is the only airline I have flown where the rest of the food options are exactly the same as J. The downside for me was the in flight sysytem. I found it impossible to work. Maybe I was unlucky with the seat.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: Some
I know this is lower season for travel to BKK and also Ramadan, but I would suggest things aren't looking great for QR on the BKK route for the next couple of months. From Expertflyer the seat maps for next week on QR832 (supposedly the prime flight to BKK) are:

Monday - 0/8 in F; 6/48 in J
Tuesday - 0/8 in F; 15/48 in J
Wednesday - 0/8 in F; 11/48 in J
Thursday - 0/8 in F; 14/48 in J
Friday - 0/8 in F; 5/48 in J
Saturday - 0/8 in F; 3/48 in J
Sunday - 1/8 in F; 10/48 in J

Every single one of those flights is probably running at a huge loss...
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:48 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
By way of comparison. I flew SQ, SIN-DXB last week in J & there were no more than about 80 pax on the entire aircraft - B777-300ER. Even the mini J cabin, where I sat, was only 50% occupied.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
the J product is so good that the F had no wow factor for me.
Having flown QR F on A330, 340 and 380 DOH-LHR or CDG and vv I’m in complete agreement with you. I can’t make my mind up whether it’s because QR J is so good, or whether QR F isn’t - probably a bit of both.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I know this is lower season for travel to BKK and also Ramadan, but I would suggest things aren't looking great for QR on the BKK route for the next couple of months. From Expertflyer the seat maps for next week on QR832 (supposedly the prime flight to BKK) are:

Monday - 0/8 in F; 6/48 in J
Tuesday - 0/8 in F; 15/48 in J
Wednesday - 0/8 in F; 11/48 in J
Thursday - 0/8 in F; 14/48 in J
Friday - 0/8 in F; 5/48 in J
Saturday - 0/8 in F; 3/48 in J
Sunday - 1/8 in F; 10/48 in J

Every single one of those flights is probably running at a huge loss...
I just can agree with you.
In addition I can say that the route DOH - BKK - DOH never was that empty during low season and / or Ramadan. I never did see it and I have done this route 2 times per month for the last 5 years (and that 95% on QR)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.