Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Major QRPC Changes - effective 27 May 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major QRPC Changes - effective 27 May 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:24 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
If you're still flying QR but just crediting to another program (what I'm doing), I don't see that as lost revenue to QR.
Haha. No, not flying QR - all CX/MH/BA. QR are uncompetitive on every flight I booked & they cannot fly to uae. Double whammy.

Now, anyone know how to book partner reward flights? Thx.

Last edited by NoY; Jul 2, 2018 at 6:58 am Reason: typos
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:02 pm

If you're still flying QR but just crediting to another program (what I'm doing), I don't see that as lost revenue to QR.
Crediting to other FFP costs the ticketing carrier. Technically it doesn't reduce revenue, but you get the picture.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by makrom
Crediting to other FFP costs the ticketing carrier. Technically it doesn't reduce revenue, but you get the picture.
Ah, I see your point. But still, I assume, much less than losing paying passengers to another carrier.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:12 am

Ah, I see your point. But still, I assume, much less than losing paying passengers to another carrier.
Of course, no doubt about that.
But done right, there are still significant advantages of people crediting to your own FFP: It is the cheapest way to handle FF bonusses, you provide a strong incentive to favor your airline over competitors, and last but not least, you receive money from people crediting other flights to your program.
QRPChad understandable balancing issues. It has never been particularly good value for regular tickets, but with some promotions, its value went through the roof. The most extreme example was likely Sake fare, a real long haul C flight plus 90k Qmiles for 600€. And while this might have been an error fare, all those offers like EU-BKK plus 80k Qmiles for 1100€ weren't.
Of course this isn't financially sustainable. But instead of fine tuning it to provide the intended incentives, they just devalued the whole program. It is now horrible value under regular circumstances while offering possibly decent value with some promotions. However, it's those regular cases that makes them money. And with the latest changes, they totally killed any incentive for passengers to use QRPC that way. From my point of view they are destroying important assets instead of optimizing them. I cannot see how this change won't hurt QR financially in the long run.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
well I just tried EK from LGW-BKK in J very underwhelming the QR product is so much better in every way and that tiny bar? really back to QR for me but credit to BA
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spec119
well I just tried EK from LGW-BKK in J very underwhelming the QR product is so much better in every way and that tiny bar? really back to QR for me but credit to BA
Two weeks ago I did BKK-DXB-BKK in EK J and agree with you completely. I credit my QR flights to AA.
spec119 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:07 am

Two weeks ago I did BKK-DXB-BKK in EK J and agree with you completely. I credit my QR flights to AA.
my air Asia flight from CNX to UTH wasn't much difference LOL
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by spec119
I did EK from Europe to BKK in J and yes I agree with you, but it certainly was easy to “suffer” ;-)
But right now QR is not an option for me as they all the time are the most expensive ones, at least on my routes.
I possibly will fly with QR again, as soon as they have some nice promotions or they are in range with their competitors in concern to price.
But I am not loyal anymore ;-)
IAN-UK and spec119 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:04 am

I just noticed Y saver fares seem to be generally in the Q buckets now I think useful if crediting to BAEC as same tier points for Y saver and value
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For anyone who's looking for mileage redemption space ex-U.S. over Labor Day weekend, there's a fair amount of it available to Doha and beyond on Labor Day, September 3, without the ×2. I found space ex-ATL, BOS, DFW, IAH, and PHL. Of course, it's still crazy expensive. IIRC it was 167,200 for one way to BKK in J. That compares to one way to BKK in F on CX for 110,000 AA miles. But at least now my QR miles won't be orphaned!
goliath likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: QR Platinum
I burnt 510.000 Qmiles for 2 Awards in J (for my wife and myself). We wanted to fly in J from FRA to AKL and back from OZ (open jaw). This would cost more than 600.000 Qmiles we didn't have because we couldn't use the Qmiles in my wife's account (the callcenter allowed pooling in former days). So we had to split in an Y rt. FRA-DOH and a J award DOH-AKL, ADL-DOH. This meant that we will have to take an undesired 1-night-stopover both ways in Doha (self paid of course) to be on the safe side concerning continuing flights.

To find availability for J-awards to AKL and from OZ was a real challenge. We could only succeed because we will have an extended stay of 3 months and managed to detect an almost singular availability from ADL (we would have preferred SYD or MEL but this was impossible to find). We will burn now 120.000 Qmiles in my wife's account for some Qantas flights and then the QR story or even the FFP story is done for us. In future we will care for good products with good prices (long distance in J, short/medium distance in Y) and not for any FFP's or alliances. We also sit on 100 Qcredits with 60 more to come in December but I doubt that we can make reasonable use of most of them.

Last edited by toz100; Aug 5, 2018 at 5:36 am Reason: Typos
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by toz100
This meant that we will have to take an undesired 1-night-stopover both ways in Doha (self paid of course) to be on the safe side concerning continuing flights.
When are your stopovers in Doha? If it's still this year you can take advantage of the Qatar+ package and stay overnight for free, even on an award ticket issued with Qmiles. Perhaps it will be extended (again) into next year. Also, try and use you Qcredits to upgrade your FRA-DOH return flights. Also, if nothing becomes available before you fly, they will most likely allow you to upgrade at the airport with Qcredits, provided there are business class seats left and you arrive early enough to secure them.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
When are your stopovers in Doha? If it's still this year you can take advantage of the Qatar+ package and stay overnight for free, even on an award ticket issued with Qmiles. Perhaps it will be extended (again) into next year. Also, try and use you Qcredits to upgrade your FRA-DOH return flights. Also, if nothing becomes available before you fly, they will most likely allow you to upgrade at the airport with Qcredits, provided there are business class seats left and you arrive early enough to secure them.
I’m afraid it won’t work :
- +qatar is only valid if you have a connecting flight in DOH on the same ticket but toz100 only has separate tickets that connect together in DOH.
- AFAIK you can only upgrade revenue tickets with Qcredits, not award tickets
lifeonthego_k likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Matt4

I’m afraid it won’t work :
- +qatar is only valid if you have a connecting flight in DOH on the same ticket but toz100 only has separate tickets that connect together in DOH.
- AFAIK you can only upgrade revenue tickets with Qcredits, not award tickets
Exactly! No +Qatar possible with 2 separate tickets and no upgrades with Qcredits on an award ticket.
At least I managed to get some decent rates for the hotels. And maybe I can use some of the Qcredits for later bookings. But as QR inflated the value of Qcredits and reducing the available award/upgrade seats towards nil I am not too optimistic.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Canceling Mileage Award Ticket

Plans changed, and had to change a mileage award ticket by one day. OK, you can't change an award ticket; you have to cancel and rebook. Problem was that phone agent told me that it would take "up to 40 days" to get the miles back into my account, and I didn't have enough miles to buy the new ticket without the ones from the refund. OK, got online, cancelled my QR ticket and made other arrangements (on AA/CX).

Happy to say that that was just four days ago, and the miles are now back in my QR account. Speedy service, just wish that it was a bit more predictably speedy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.