Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Major QRPC Changes - effective 27 May 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major QRPC Changes - effective 27 May 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 5:39 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Where are you based and where do you fly to most often? I understand that a USA connection is a turn off for many
I am not based anywhere but I fly the most often to Canada and Asia. So pretty much all airlines are game for me, except those from South America and Australia / NZ.

Air Canada is a given, Europe works, Middle East too, Asia for sure. USA-based airlines would be ok too if not for Uncle Sam.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by escape4
I am not based anywhere but I fly the most often to Canada and Asia. So pretty much all airlines are game for me, except those from South America and Australia / NZ.

Air Canada is a given, Europe works, Middle East too, Asia for sure. USA-based airlines would be ok too if not for Uncle Sam.
Take a look at Alaska Airlines. Their program is very generous for premium travel.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
As noted above, the big downside to the American carriers is the need to transit in the USA which is often not the best experience. I would agree that the AA hard product is good however.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Take a look at Alaska Airlines. Their program is very generous for premium travel.
Interesting. Since they are not in an alliance I never considered them. I will take a look. Thank you!
Old May 28, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Interesting. Since they are not in an alliance I never considered them. I will take a look. Thank you!
They give you 500% bonus on BA F tickets and they have a bizarre mix of partners. EK, CX, AY, SQ, AA, JL, HA, KE, QF, BA, DE etc, etc. very eclectic.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Traveller999
At least ex EU, LH/LX/OS are offering competitive (compared to QR) prices in J. But I agree the business class at QR is better, if you don´t have the LATAM lease airplanes - unfortunately I do have them all the time for 2 legs out of 4 on my preferred route....
Unfortunately, prices to and from North America are not competitive.

Have you done the math of AA vs AY? If not ever flying AA or AY. Reality is that I am more likely to fly AY once or twice (unlike AA), and I would get entry into Flagship lounges if I use AY to earn on QR.

Obviously QR>AY, but AY has prices year-round Canada to Asia for $2,500 USD so I can see myself compromising once in a while and book with AY rather than QR when I need to book this route.
I just priced YYZ to BKK on AY. USD $3,408. For the trip I'm on right now, I paid about $1,500 on QR during the January sale.

Originally Posted by Traveller999
Not excactly at the moment - I did book EK ex Germany to BKK in J for 200 EUR less than the best QR offer and I´ll get 3 times the A380, one time B777 (I guess that one will not be so "amazing") and will be picked up at start / destination by a limo service for free (value approx 300 EUR).
Just priced EK on the same YYZ-BKK (even though I fly in and out of BOS). USD $6,288.

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
I hope some of you ar3 also posting your displeasure on QRs social media platforms. I can’t do it all myself
Done. Last night I sent them a PM via Twitter, and today I tweeted to them, reminding them that I'm QRPC PLT.

And how do we earn EQDs if we never fly AA?
AA applies a formula in calculating EQDs for partner flights. While I think that the formula is not public, the prevailing sentiment seems to be that it will be something like 30% of BIS miles. Perhaps someone here knows more about this than I.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I just priced YYZ to BKK on AY. USD $3,408. For the trip I'm on right now, I paid about $1,500 on QR during the January sale.
I am assuming you are checking dates in June or July for AY? Closer to travel dates, the fares I mentioned before are usually no longer available. Please take a look YYZ-BKK starting in September. At least half of dates have $2,600 USD.

A QR flight for $1,500 was the January 2017 sale, right? I don't recall anything remotely close to this price in the January 2018 sale. If so, which route? I must have completely missed it. This year I only saw CMB-PHL for $1,200 in J as a good sale.
Traveller999 and NJSwamplands like this.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
QR sale prices have not been nearly as good as they were recently. We regularly used to get selected Europe - Far East destinations for just over £1000 in the sales but haven't seen anything like that for a while.
Traveller999 and NJSwamplands like this.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
A QR flight for $1,500 was the January 2017 sale, right? I don't recall anything remotely close to this price in the January 2018 sale. If so, which route? I must have completely missed it. This year I only saw CMB-PHL for $1,200 in J as a good sale.
Yes, I was talking CMB-PHL during that sale. Roundtrip positioning between BKK and CMB, and then between PHL and BOS adds about $800 in total, so still pretty freakin' cheap.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:48 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Mike P
QR sale prices have not been nearly as good as they were recently. We regularly used to get selected Europe - Far East destinations for just over £1000 in the sales but haven't seen anything like that for a while.
It's worth noting that those prices were pre-Brexit, when the Euro strengthened.

We saw an excellent ex-MAN sale earlier this year though, and there has been a smattering of decent fares ex-Scandinavia.

M
Old May 28, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
It's worth noting that those prices were pre-Brexit, when the Euro strengthened.

We saw an excellent ex-MAN sale earlier this year though, and there has been a smattering of decent fares ex-Scandinavia.

M
Yes and no - there have been some c.£1k to BKK/HKG etc. deals post-Brexit (mostly from Eastern Europe or Italy) but not for some time. Additionally, the cheapest ex-Scandi fares (including the spate of ones to Australia and New Zealand) also seem to have stopped this year. The only notable fares from Europe since January I think have been the MAN ones.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: EY, TG basic levels ; QRPC platinum
[QUOTE=escape4;29800382]So with this itinerary, CX 8.33 flights needed for free flight in J, QR 9.94 flights (if QR gold). I am guessing it's very close between the two if you are QR plat rather than QR gold. So despite the massive depreciation, QR is not so out of line with CX? Maybe QR looks worse on other routes, but not this one.

Last edited by traveler_ron; May 28, 2018 at 10:47 am Reason: oops forgot to add my own comment ... not used to this yet ... this quote is from escape4
Old May 28, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: EY, TG basic levels ; QRPC platinum
In theory partially Ok but …1) The number of earned/needed (Asia) Miles is the same regardless of the loyalty level with CX. While with QRPC you need to be/keep at least gold level to get at 9,94 (or platinum for better) otherwise it’s 16,52 against 8,33.2) CX doesn’t charge 50USD per sector (in my case 200USD for 4 sectors)3) very very poor availability of award possibilities with QR at ‘standard’ level ; e.g. I checked availability for a period of about 5 months… NOTHING standard…. all Q2 … sorry I have to mention the ONE exception I found (for totally impossible flight days for me) with lay over in DOH respectively ONLY 8 and 10 hours … very ‘convenient’ when you know the two one way sectors combined are just over 12 hours.So what is the difference in practice?QR burgundy 16,52 *Q2 = 33,04 against CX Asia miles 8,33 (ratio almost 4X more flights needed)QR gold 9,94*Q2 = 19,88 against CX Asia miles 8,33 (ratio almost 2,4X more flights needed)My conclusion: in reality that is a ONEWORLD of difference
GalaxyChris and Traveller999 like this.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Additionally, the cheapest ex-Scandi fares (including the spate of ones to Australia and New Zealand) also seem to have stopped this year. The only notable fares from Europe since January I think have been the MAN ones.
The MAN deals were a genuine error, they told me!

Last edited by Raffles; May 28, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Old May 28, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
Originally Posted by Raffles
The MAN deals were a genuine error, they told me!
Or perhaps one should say a negative 'enhancement', in 'New-QR-Speak', since they were actually in the customer's favour ?
Traveller999 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.