Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Lost Luggage. Not found after 12 days. Need info to escalate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost Luggage. Not found after 12 days. Need info to escalate

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by lrbenko
"Firstly, we are sorry to learn of the delayed delivery of your baggage on your recent travel to Dubai on QR002/08 May 2022, and can certainly understand how unsettling it may have been for you.
It could just be a copy/paste error, but you might want to point out to them that QR002 goes nowhere near Dubai or anywhere else on your itinerary.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by plunet
Its a bit hard to comment without the context of what you were asking Qatar to do, but the "Qatar" team at DXB will typically consist of
  • A station manager that is a direct employee of Qatar - in DXB this might in fact be two people due to the number and frequency of flights
  • An outsourced ground handling agent for check-in, dispatch, etc
  • The use of a number of airport provided resources which likely includes baggage handling
it's hard to know whether the issue has been referred to the Qatar employees or a 3rd party. If the former you might if you are vey lucky get a reply or a follow up, if the latter I would assume it's just a service observation for information.
Thanks. For some context, I submitted receipts for reimbursement of some clothes and necessities due to a delayed bag while flying ion Qatar. Bag was delayed about three days. My route was CHS-JFK-DOH-DXB. I'm very suspect that I will get a response, let alone a reimbursement from Qatar on the expenses incurred while waiting for my bag. Any other suggestions are welcomed.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by ft101
It could just be a copy/paste error, but you might want to point out to them that QR002 goes nowhere near Dubai or anywhere else on your itinerary.
That's interesting, and I didn't catch that. Thank you.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:58 pm

Programs: BAEC
Thanks. For some context, I submitted receipts for reimbursement of some clothes and necessities due to a delayed bag while flying ion Qatar. Bag was delayed about three days. My route was CHS-JFK-DOH-DXB. I'm very suspect that I will get a response, let alone a reimbursement from Qatar on the expenses incurred while waiting for my bag. Any other suggestions are welcomed.
Did you explicitly state you were claiming under the Montreal convention for replacement items required whilst your bag was delayed.

Sometimes we see examples of long stories/rants where the customer service rep maybe struggles to see the point of what is being requested. Not saying that was the case here, but it does happen.

I would write in again. Keep it focussed.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:40 am

Did you explicitly state you were claiming under the Montreal convention for replacement items required whilst your bag was delayed.

Sometimes we see examples of long stories/rants where the customer service rep maybe struggles to see the point of what is being requested. Not saying that was the case here, but it does happen.

I would write in again. Keep it focussed.
Thanks. I did not claim the Montreal Convention, but thank you for suggesting that. I will write back again and mention this. My email to them was fairly concise and unemotional, just a factual request for reimbursement.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:58 am

Update: Received this email yesterday. Does this imply they are only sending me $100? I don't know if I'm comfortable sending a copy of my passport. Any thoughts or experiences? "On behalf of Qatar Airways, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused as a result of this baggage irregularity you have reported. We understand that the bag has been restored to you.
We are pleased to offer USD100 as interim relief compensation for delayed baggage delivery. Kindly forward us below supporting documents for claim settlement.

Supporting Documents
1. Attached PPQ form duly filled and signed with date. (Front page + Date & Sign on 2nd page)
2. Baggage Claim Tags
3. Property Irregularity Report
4. Boarding Pass
5. E- Ticket
6. Passport Copy

We hope this unfortunate incident has not marred your impression of Qatar Airways. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you on board Qatar Airways in the future"
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:57 pm

Update: Received this email yesterday. Does this imply they are only sending me $100? I don't know if I'm comfortable sending a copy of my passport. Any thoughts or experiences?
Yeh, I have had that in the past, they wouldn't budge and said they needed a copy of government ID in order to reimburse me, but rather than sending a copy of the passport in email which is not secure, i sent a link to an image of my passport with an access password set to the PNR of my journey. They seemed to accept that, and I unshared the link when they confirmed they had the documents they needed.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:31 pm

Yeh, I have had that in the past, they wouldn't budge and said they needed a copy of government ID in order to reimburse me, but rather than sending a copy of the passport in email which is not secure, i sent a link to an image of my passport with an access password set to the PNR of my journey. They seemed to accept that, and I unshared the link when they confirmed they had the documents they needed.
What was your experience with the amount reimbursed? $100 seems very low, especially when I submitted about $500 in receipts.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:49 pm

I submitted a receipt for the original purchase price of a jacket, and it was fully reimbursed. The situation that led to my claim was a little different though.

Unusual situation on QR193 - Broken Cupboard
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:55 pm

I submitted a receipt for the original purchase price of a jacket, and it was fully reimbursed. The situation that led to my claim was a little different though.

Unusual situation on QR193 - Broken Cupboard
Thanks. I'm going to keep pushing for full reimbursement.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:57 pm

Thanks. I'm going to keep pushing for full reimbursement.
You should. There is no wording in the Montreal convention for airlines to give you a contribution towards the cost of replacement items, they should be paying for them outright. However this is subject to a unwritten reasonableness test if you have gone out and bought expensive branded goods for temporary use when you could have gone to a more main/high street retailer, although context can apply on this one, availability of better value retailers and events you needed to attend.

Good luck.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:25 am

You should. There is no wording in the Montreal convention for airlines to give you a contribution towards the cost of replacement items, they should be paying for them outright. However this is subject to a unwritten reasonableness test if you have gone out and bought expensive branded goods for temporary use when you could have gone to a more main/high street retailer, although context can apply on this one, availability of better value retailers and events you needed to attend.

Good luck.
Perfect. I wouldn't think Banana Republic and Tommy Hilfiger to be expensive, but in Dubai, they are priced higher than in the US.
But thanks for all of you're information, you've been a real help and I appreciate it!.
plunet likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:32 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I can imagine the passport request is to do a fraud/sanctions check, i.e. make sure they aren't paying someone they shouldn't be (or the ticket matches the name) Note: It did say an interim payment, so perhaps they will send you more later as well?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by littlevoices
I can imagine the passport request is to do a fraud/sanctions check, i.e. make sure they aren't paying someone they shouldn't be (or the ticket matches the name) Note: It did say an interim payment, so perhaps they will send you more later as well?
I was wondering the same on the wording. perhaps it's best to just ask them what they mean?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Going through the same with Oman Air at the moment.To be fair it probably wasn't their fault (I blame LH), but the buck stops with them under the Montreal Convention. Sent them full receipts etc and they offered me $120 in the "interim" which is almost $30 short of what I requested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.