Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Deprived of redemption for being a Saudi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deprived of redemption for being a Saudi?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:47 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by beduin
not a tech savvy and am not able to download that on pc.. plus I could be prosecuted for downloading it.. do I have to risk being imprisoned to redeem miles on QR?
Change your antivirus to Avira (it's free), and it comes with free Phantom VPN and also a free automatic ad blocker (very useful on FT!).
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mpkz
A quick Google search suggests that VPNs are not illegal in Saudi Arabia. I recommend Freedome by F-Secure.
I was just thinking, "How can a VPN be illegal with all the legitimate business uses and security benefits they bring?".

Maybe they are not allowed for personal use in KSA.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
Is this still happening? Genuinely interested as may be moving to the region soon
They renewed mine a couple weeks ago.

I was quite surprised too. I thought they would have gotten bored of it by now.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by jacobguo
Being a state-owned airline could it be their intention to make redemption hard for Saudis?
There have been no signs of such an intent whatsoever. If anything, this thread is about not easing the situation for Saudis enough.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by capin
I was just thinking, "How can a VPN be illegal with all the legitimate business uses and security benefits they bring?".

Maybe they are not allowed for personal use in KSA.
Some other countries try to block VPN. The Great Firewall of China blocks or disrupts many major VPNs.
The legality of using VPN in China is a gray area.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:17 am

It's simple, QR don't do anything over the phone anymore, which is their policy for everyone and not only Saudis.

Secondly, it is Saudi Arabia who have blocked the website, not QR. So I see this issue as being the issue of KSA and not QR.

You can't access google in China, but that is not the fault of google.

Additionally, QR being a political beast, while I don't see them deliberately doing anything to make the situation easier for Saudis, there is absolutely zero chance that they are going to do anything to make it easier.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
Some other countries try to block VPN....
This, unfortunately, is now true of Egypt. Though, on the other hand, access to the QR website no longer seems to be blocked, at least for now, which it used to be.
I strongly sympathize with the OP's plight and do think QR could have gone the extra 10 yards to provide better support for its FFP members in the blockading countries. They, as much as itself, are equally victims of an infantile, petty political culture that politicizes something as trifiling as access to an airline's website by blocking it. But it (QR) is also in a better position easily to do something to mitigate the situation than its customers are.

Last edited by husseinbadr; Apr 25, 2018 at 4:11 am
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by beduin
not a tech savvy and am not able to download that on pc.. plus I could be prosecuted for downloading it.. do I have to risk being imprisoned to redeem miles on QR?
are you not allowed to download Opera Browser?

That one include a vpn with 3 locations if vpn is enabled
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Any tech savvy high school or college student in Saudi Arabia could help the OP load a VPN provider’s software onto
The computer in a few minutes. My suggestion is to get a friend or try some of the other work arounds already suggested.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
They renewed mine a couple weeks ago.

I was quite surprised too. I thought they would have gotten bored of it by now.
Nice of them to keep on keeping you warm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.