Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Deprived of redemption for being a Saudi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, TK Gold, QR Platinum, WY Sinbad Gold, SV Alfursan Gold

I am unable to access QR website in Saudi as it is blocked. But I got heeps of miles on QR. I called them yesterday and asked to redeem, but the agent said I should go to the website. I explained it is blocked in Saudi, guess the agent's answer: "I know"!

Loyality to QR is worth nothing
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:22 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by beduin
I am unable to access QR website in Saudi as it is blocked. But I got heeps of miles on QR. I called them yesterday and asked to redeem, but the agent said I should go to the website. I explained it is blocked in Saudi, guess the agent's answer: "I know"!

Loyality to QR is worth nothing
VPN?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, TK Gold, QR Platinum, WY Sinbad Gold, SV Alfursan Gold
Originally Posted by NoY
VPN?

not a tech savvy and am not able to download that on pc.. plus I could be prosecuted for downloading it.. do I have to risk being imprisoned to redeem miles on QR?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
I am sorry to say that has nothing to do with QR and everything to do with Saudi, Egypt, etc. NOt sure how strictly those VPN"s law are enforced or how they could tract you. But there appears that there are a at least a few solutions to your problem:
- ask a trusted family member / friend outside of Saudi to book for you
- take a flight outside of your country, or wait for business travel and do the booking.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synd
I am sorry to say that has nothing to do with QR and everything to do with Saudi, Egypt, etc. NOt sure how strictly those VPN"s law are enforced or how they could tract you. But there appears that there are a at least a few solutions to your problem:
- ask a trusted family member / friend outside of Saudi to book for you
- take a flight outside of your country, or wait for business travel and do the booking.
I am not talking politics here.. a simpler solution would have been to book the flight for me over the phone taking into account my loyality and situation.. It is already stressful that I'm not able to enjoy my elite status with QR for over a year due political issues I got nothing to do with.. Here, QR is throwing us (us= loyal members living in boycott countries) under the bus

Last edited by beduin; Apr 24, 2018 at 3:59 am
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: QR Gold
You can use Qmiles in One World carriers (RJ, BA fly to Saudi).

There is nothing QR can do in this case. The blockade had an effect on all people really. Did you try to download their APP in itunes? You can redeem miles using the APP?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QatarA340
You can use Qmiles in One World carriers (RJ, BA fly to Saudi).

There is nothing QR can do in this case. The blockade had an effect on all people really. Did you try to download their APP in itunes? You can redeem miles using the APP?
That is what I was trying to do yesterday.. to use RJ.. but they said i had to access the website which is inaccessible in Saudi .. as it is blocked.. I told them it is inaccessible.. the reply..: "I know".. "what should I do" I said? "I don't know" he replied.. a very weird reply from a 5 star airline.

He was not able to mention the VPN because he knows I can be prosecuted for using it. And he had no other solution when it was there: he could have just made the booking over the phone if he and his supervisor wanted
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Maybe try sending an email to qrpc with your requested redemption.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:03 am

What about the Application in iTunes? You dont have to use the website to book tickets?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alfredbali
Maybe try sending an email to qrpc with your requested redemption.
I did 12 hours ago.. no reply yet
Alfredbali likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QatarA340
What about the Application in iTunes? You dont have to use the website to book tickets?
i cant access that either
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Originally Posted by beduin
I did 12 hours ago.. no reply yet
Of course, expect to receive an answer in about 2 weeks, thats the average answer delay from the "enhanced" Privilege Club...
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Maybe not directly relevant to your present situation, but out of interest:

Are Saudi nationals currently permitted to fly QR?
Are Saudi nationals currently permitted to enter/exit DOH?
I would assume the answer to both questions is no.

I realise these issues may not impact you if you are planning to fly with, say, RJ.As others have suggested, take a quick trip to, say, KWI or MCT, and make your travel arrangements from there.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:34 am

Phil, yes to both questions.

There are a lot of Saudis still living in Qatar at the moment--and they fly QR all the time.

The same goes for the rest of the blockading countries.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If VPN isn’t an option, and they refuse to book over the phone, is there not a friend you trust to make a booking for you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.