Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Upgrade one leg with Qmiles and other legs of same booking with Qcredits?

Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Qatar Airways Privilege Club

I’ll be flying CDG-DOH-CGK and return in July with Qatar Airways.
I’d like to upgrade some flights.

I have 35 000 qmiles to burn before they expire by the end of June, enough to upgrade my DOH>CGK.
At my arrival in Jakarta, I’ll reach Gold and should earn 40 Qcredits, enough to upgrade the two legs of my return flight to Paris.
I have booked fare classes that allow the upgrades.

1) What would be the best strategy? Should I ask for the upgrade DOH>CGK with qmiles now, and ask for the return flight upgrade once I have banked the qcredits after arrival in Jakarta?

2) Is that actually doable to have two separate upgrade requests on the same booking?
(I had conflict info about this over the phone with Privilege Club, one agent said it is possible, and the other said one booking = 1 upgrade request, and that it’s not even possible to upgrade an outward + a return flight, you have to choose between both).

3) Side question: after reaching Gold in July, I will have banked enough Qpoints to renew Gold by April 2019. Will I get my 2019 Qcredits in April or in July 2019? Will my Gold status remain active until April 2020 or July 2020?

Thanks for your inputs!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:20 am

1) No idea. I think you only have one possible strategy if you want both flights in business.
2) Yes, it's possible. I've done it before.
3) Gold expires in July 2019, so if you get enough points between July 2018 and April 2019, you will still get the credits in July 2019 which is the renewal date. Not sure what the rest of this question means though.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlueMoongr
Ill be flying CDG-DOH-CGK and return in July with Qatar Airways.
Id like to upgrade some flights.

I have 35 000 qmiles to burn before they expire by the end of June, enough to upgrade my DOH>CGK.
At my arrival in Jakarta, Ill reach Gold and should earn 40 Qcredits, enough to upgrade the two legs of my return flight to Paris.
I have booked fare classes that allow the upgrades.

1) What would be the best strategy? Should I ask for the upgrade DOH>CGK with qmiles now, and ask for the return flight upgrade once I have banked the qcredits after arrival in Jakarta?

2) Is that actually doable to have two separate upgrade requests on the same booking?
(I had conflict info about this over the phone with Privilege Club, one agent said it is possible, and the other said one booking = 1 upgrade request, and that its not even possible to upgrade an outward + a return flight, you have to choose between both).

3) Side question: after reaching Gold in July, I will have banked enough Qpoints to renew Gold by April 2019. Will I get my 2019 Qcredits in April or in July 2019? Will my Gold status remain active until April 2020 or July 2020?

Thanks for your inputs!
2) I have been told the same but eventuality suceded in making two requests on the same booking.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for confirming it's OK to have several upgrade requests on the same booking!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, One World Emerald, IHG Platinum Elite
Yes, it is possible and if there is availability, easily done. The complication arises potentially when using QCredits on the return if the system rejects your GGK-DOH-CDG upgrade (which presumably costs 40 QCredits). If you are then forced to do it at the airport, where they will only allow upgrades one leg at a time, you will not be able to do a 40 Qcredit upgrade all the way to Paris. Any split upgrade would almost surely leave you with an insufficient number of Qcredits to upgrade any remaining medium haul leg (e.g. DOH-CDG). So you have to plan with that contingency in mind. On your last question, even if you renew Gold by April, the new QCredits are only added in July as the cycle runs 12 months. Sadly, say if you are left with 15 Qcredits from the trip back that you are unable to use, it would not be added to the 40 that you would get in July. Those would expire that day and you would start with 40 in the new Gold cycle.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks ashbjr, this is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks also for pointing out the potential risk of my strategy, which won't work if I have to upgrade at the airport, that is true and I did not think of that.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: QR Platinum
I have a similar dilemma. I was planning a trip to Tokyo from Dublin. I have 120,000 Qmiles and 40 Qcredits. If I book in V class, I would have enough miles to upgrade to Business for the DUB-DOH return and one flight of DOH-HND. One leg of DOH-HND can be upgraded using 39 Qcredits now. Is this possible to do; upgrading individual legs of a journey mixing qmiles and qcredits?
Old May 28, 2018, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by A380PM
I have a similar dilemma. I was planning a trip to Tokyo from Dublin. I have 120,000 Qmiles and 40 Qcredits. If I book in V class, I would have enough miles to upgrade to Business for the DUB-DOH return and one flight of DOH-HND. One leg of DOH-HND can be upgraded using 39 Qcredits now. Is this possible to do; upgrading individual legs of a journey mixing qmiles and qcredits?
Yes, i did this many times. last time 2 weeks ago. mixed upgrde with Qmiles and Qcredits
A380PM likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Crisu69
Yes, i did this many times. last time 2 weeks ago. mixed upgrde with Qmiles and Qcredits
What fees are involved? It is all done online? Sorry this is my first time looking at an upgrade.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:02 am

What fees are involved? It is all done online? Sorry this is my first time looking at an upgrade.
you do it online in real-time. For that you log into your account and choose the option "Upgrade" at your "Dashboard"
if upgrade is possible for one or all legs they show it in the next window and can choose the leg which you want to upgrade and if you want upgrade with miles or Qcredits.
You receive the confirmation for your upgraded seat at once if upgrade is possible.
There are no fees. QR just deduct Qcredits/Qmiles from your account.
A380PM likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:03 am

you do it online in real-time. For that you log into your account and choose the option "Upgrade" at your "Dashboard"
if upgrade is possible for one or all legs they show it in the next window and can choose the leg which you want to upgrade and if you want upgrade with miles or Qcredits.
You receive the confirmation for your upgraded seat at once if upgrade is possible.
There are no fees. QR just deduct Qcredits/Qmiles from your account.
Thank you. Very well explained
Old May 28, 2018, 6:16 am
Original Poster

I have my DOH-CDG inbound leg upgrade approved, using Qmiles.
However after my outbound legs I will reach gold and have 40 Qredits that would allow me to upgrade not one but both legs of my inbound trip (CGK-DOH-CDG).
Once arrived in CGK and banking those Qcredits, can I cancel my Qmiles DOH-CDG upgrade (I know I loose 25 USD) and right after that trying the CGK-CDG upgrade with Qcredits?
I have 10 days in CGK if that matters.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: QRPC-Plat/OWE, MPC, BAEC
Bad news for you, the new enhancement will bring the price of upgrading from 40 to 46 Qcredits, so you won't be able to upgrade both of the flights with QCredits.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:55 am

What fees areinvolved?
ups, before i forgot complete the new sektor fee which QR is charging.
So for you it is 50 USD per sektor in biz that yu have to pay now.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:04 am

ups, before i forgot complete the new sektor fee which QR is charging.
So for you it is 50 USD per sektor in biz that yu have to pay now.
Is that not just for an award ticket?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.