Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Interlining luggage and through checkin with Malaysian?

Old Apr 5, 18, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold

Good day

We have booked flights from KUL-JNB in J on QR tomorrow. The flight from KUL-DOH is via Penang (with the KUL-PEN flight operated by Malaysian Airlines). Our connection in PEN is precisely one hour.

I tried to check in online with QR this morning and saw that it only allowed me to check in for the PEN-JNB portion and I had to check in separately with Malaysian for the KUL-PEN flight.

I am worried that this means that Malaysian won’t issue us with boarding passes and check our luggage through to JNB from KUL and that we will have to collect our luggage in PEN and check in again in the short 1 hour connection.

All flights were booked with QR (and all have the same 6-digit pin).

Please advise me on what is going to happen, as I have never experienced such a situation before. I am hoping that the luggage (and us!) gets checked straight JNB at KUL, as this is what I assumed would happen when I booked.

Thank you! Your advice is much appreciated.
Old Apr 6, 18, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Anyone with any advice? We fly in about 19 hours.
Old Apr 6, 18, 4:59 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
If the tickets were booked as a single itinerary and are on the same PNR (6 digit alphanumeric reference), MH at KUL should check you in for the onward QR sectors and check your luggage through to your final destination. It would be sensible when boarding at PEN for your QR flight to ask the gate agents to check that your luggage has been routed correctly onto their flight as they will should be able to call down to baggage handling and get your bag found and loaded if it didn't route through correctly. Have your luggage tag handy when asking.

Have a good flight and try not to worry. Selamat Jalan.
Old Apr 6, 18, 8:08 pm

Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
The MH check in agents in BKK were willing and able to through check luggage and provide boarding passes for me on separate tickets BKK-KUL (arrival 2300) and KUL-CMB (departure 0920) last month

Happy wandering
Fred
Old Apr 6, 18, 8:52 pm

Programs: QR Plat, HH Gold
QR's app is also a surprisingly 'okay' tool to track your bags, providing alerts that it has been transferred and letting you know on which belt it will be delivered when you're still on the plane taxing.
Old Apr 6, 18, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses! Much appreciated. I will follow the advice given.

Safe travels.
Old Apr 7, 18, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Update... QR flight PEN-DOH is delayed 6h35min. Plane went tech. Missed connection in DOH and missed connection in JNB (not ticketed on QR) due to this. So two missed connections and no flights available to my final destination.

Way to go QR.
Old Apr 7, 18, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
So much for my selamat Jalan then... Good luck with sorting that out as QR are not always know for their stellar performance in the case of irrops handling.
​​​​​​
Did you find out before you left KUL? You might have been better placed to argue to get one of the QR rotations from KUL to DOH, bit I guess from your current predicament that didn't happen.

Oh, and did MH check you through?
Old Apr 7, 18, 2:51 pm

MH checks in no problem to all one world connecting flights even if on separate tickets, in fact I had a flight recently from Kuching to KL then CMB to Muscat with UL (separate tickets) and the layover in KL was 20 Hours my bag was still interlined from Kuching and arrived muscat, from what I understand the baggage in any connection over12 hours cannot be interlined but the agent was friendly and no questions asked.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: