Al Safwa - Underwhelming

Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Al Safwa - Underwhelming

Today I had my first visit to this lounge. I had high expectations but soon found that while the lounge is generally quiet and very large... it is disappointing.

A few items.

- Limited self service items
- No drinks allowed in business center
- Restaurant - limited menu

Emirates is so much better.
synd likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: Enrich (Platinum), Privilege Club (Gold), MVP Gold
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Today I had my first visit to this lounge. I had high expectations but soon found that while the lounge is generally quiet and very large... it is disappointing.

A few items.

The Qataris lack details. But at least they invested their oil money somewhere, unlike my country, oil wells almost dry up and yet nothing done.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Some

A few items.

A lot of these are personal preference, I suppose. No drinks allowed in the business centre is a little bit anal but not a ridiculous rule, IMO. Regarding limited self-service items I would prefer Al Safwa to be 100% made-to-order high quality items (if you want self-service, you can go to Al Mourjan, rather like the BA CCR/GF divide at LHR). The restaurant menu is not extensive but isn't *that* limited, my main gripe is the quality of food rather than the selection, would rather they just had a few extremely high quality food items instead.

Having said that, Al Safwa could indeed fairly easily be better - in many ways I think the CDG and LHR lounges are actually nicer places to spend time.
synd and mr_botak like this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Today I had my first visit to this lounge.

Please forgive my confusion. You state that you visited Al Safwa for the first time today.

On 3 March 2018 you posted - ‘And... when you have experienced the First lounges of EK, QR, and even QF... the BA CCR is more than a few steps down.’

At the time I took your reference to QR’s first lounge as being Al Safwa; it appears, based on today’s post, that this was not the case. So which QR first lounge were you referring to?

Furthermore, why mention EK and QR lounges in the same breath five weeks ago if the EK lounge is now considered much better?
Klner and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

Please forgive my confusion. You state that you visited Al Safwa for the first time today.

On 3 March 2018 you posted - And... when you have experienced the First lounges of EK, QR, and even QF... the BA CCR is more than a few steps down.

At the time I took your reference to QRs first lounge as being Al Safwa; it appears, based on todays post, that this was not the case. So which QR first lounge were you referring to?

Furthermore, why mention EK and QR lounges in the same breath five weeks ago if the EK lounge is now considered much better?
Technically the OWE lounge is called "First", though that would be seriously insulting to the CCR.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Fair questions Phil! ^
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by impeymac
Fair questions Phil! ^
impeymac - thank you . Im just trying to understand the OPs post. The OP has logged-in every day since posting, and, at the time of writing, post #1 above remains his/her most recent post. I had hoped the OP might return to clarify the matter, but that hasnt yet happened.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY

A few items.

Lol horses for courses I suppose.
For me, comparing Al-Safwa to EK DXB F lounge is like comparing the heavens to the earth lol.
The aesthetics and design of Al-Safwa is amazing and much more interesting compared to the massive monotonous space that the EK DXB F lounge sits in.
And as for the sleeper rooms, well there is no comparison.
And the degree of exclusivity, which is what F flyers want, also no comparison.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:21 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
Originally Posted by Nizar
Lol horses for courses I suppose.
For me, comparing Al-Safwa to EK DXB F lounge is like comparing the heavens to the earth lol.
The aesthetics and design of Al-Safwa is amazing and much more interesting compared to the massive monotonous space that the EK DXB F lounge sits in.
And as for the sleeper rooms, well there is no comparison.
And the degree of exclusivity, which is what F flyers want, also no comparison.
Yes, I agree. F & B is only one element of a decent lounge experience - Al Safwa scores highly for me on Exclusivity, Quiet, Design & Ambience.

EK F lounge scores on F & B. Thats it. The rest of the lounge = dated & drab.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:35 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by NoY
Yes, I agree. F & B is only one element of a decent lounge experience - Al Safwa scores highly for me on Exclusivity, Quiet, Design & Ambience.

EK F lounge scores on F & B. Thats it. The rest of the lounge = dated & drab.
While the design of the EK F Lounges is terribly dull, albeit quite typical for the culture (lots of seated areas), the food absolutely blows The Al Safwa out the water.

As a result, and because I usually only have a 2 hour layover, I'm quite content in the EK F spaces.

For any longer though, the Al Safwa and sleeping rooms are the winner.

M
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:39 am
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
While the design of the EK F Lounges is terribly dull, albeit quite typical for the culture (lots of seated areas), the food absolutely blows The Al Safwa out the water.

As a result, and because I usually only have a 2 hour layover, I'm quite content in the EK F spaces.

For any longer though, the Al Safwa and sleeping rooms are the winner.

M
I agree that the food is much better in EK F lounges, as I said, but having said that I have had pretty decent food in Al Safwa too. If I was choosing only one of the two? I would choose Al Safwa above EK F in a heart beat bt then again, I would choose QR above EK in a heart beat too.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by NoY
I would choose Al Safwa above EK F in a heart beat bt then again, I would choose QR above EK in a heart beat too.
Ive not flown EK F for 20+ years, nor EK J for 12 years - so I cant comment on EKs F lounge. However, like you, I would choose QR over EK in a heartbeat.

However the reason for this post - what is the general opinion of DOH v DXB as airports (eg, ease of transfer through airport, flight congestion, etc)? In my opinion DOH is ahead of DXB.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

Ive not flown EK F for 20+ years, nor EK J for 12 years - so I cant comment on EKs F lounge. However, like you, I would choose QR over EK in a heartbeat.

However the reason for this post - what is the general opinion of DOH v DXB as airports (eg, ease of transfer through airport, flight congestion, etc)? In my opinion DOH is ahead of DXB.
Getting into Doha is a time suck at the immigration counters. The staff tend to spend as much time on their mobile phones texting as they spend doing the job they are paid to do. Al least at DXB there are automated gates, even for those who are not resident.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:33 am

The reason I raise the subject of DXB flight congestion is that a few years ago my son was flying QR J ARN DOH DXB (in the days before the UAE threw their toys out of the pram). As I invariably do I was tracking his progress on FR24. His ARN DOH flight landed, without delay, at approx 2300hrs. His DOH DXB flight (< 250 miles) departed DOH just after midnight and made its way towards DXB, however the aircraft made no fewer than five circuits of a holding pattern offshore before being able to land at DXB - it appears that many other aircraft suffered similar holding pattern delays. What could/should have been a 30-45 minute flight turned into 75+ minutes in the air.
Ive never seen much in the way of delays for aircraft waiting to land at DOH - although admittedly there can be some queues for take-off at peak times.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:51 am

Red face

I must admit I was also quite disappointed by the AS. There is no denying that it is an absolutely stunning lounge from a design and architecture point of view, and it is nice to have the sleeping rooms when available. However, I just didn't think it was comfortable, it was awkwardly quiet and I found the food to be meh.

Admittedly, there are few first class lounges to compare to the likes of the CX lounges in HKG, but I just didn't enjoy the AS.

On reflection, the fact that it was Ramadan and there was not alcohol may have affected my perception of the lounge.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.