Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Two QR tickets at same time for lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Poster

I think this probably won't work, but seeing if any of the QR experts out there could weigh in:

I have a RT JFK to Tokyo in paid J. On the return, I have about 9 hours in DOH overnight. I want to try AS lounge, which is obviously not available to me on this ticket.

What I do have is an excess of Avios. Could I, in theory and practice, purchase an F ticket DOH to KWI during my layover times (or after), and check in for that to access the AS F lounge?

Again, realize this is a total reach, but am curious.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Why not? I don’t think it’s unlawful unless you cancel the ticket to get refunded after enjoying the lounge.
MattEvan likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toastedcafe
Why not? I don’t think it’s unlawful unless you cancel the ticket to get refunded after enjoying the lounge.
My concern is that they have an algo sweep that would detect “impossible” itineraries and cancel them.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:24 am

I just did that few weeks ago. I'd suggest MCT over KWI for visa purposes.

Just do OLCI, don't go landside to the F check-in counters — they might want you to show you have a ticket leaving out of MCT. I didn't have one, so had to purchase a refundable one on the spot, which was less than optimal, but....
MattEvan likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klausa
I just did that few weeks ago. I'd suggest MCT over KWI for visa purposes.

Just do OLCI, don't go landside to the F check-in counters — they might want you to show you have a ticket leaving out of MCT. I didn't have one, so had to purchase a refundable one on the spot, which was less than optimal, but....
Bingo! Much obliged.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by klausa
I just did that few weeks ago. I'd suggest MCT over KWI for visa purposes....
Not sure if that still works given that MCT switched to e-Visa only when the new terminal opened.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Not sure if that still works given that MCT switched to e-Visa only when the new terminal opened.
Best I can tell, it looks like the offer Visa on Arrival at MCT? That should allow me to check in without a visa, right?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
I have had two concurrent tickets on QR departing DOH as similar times.

USA>DOH>CMB in J (wanted to drop the ticket in DOH)
DOH>EVN in Y

I only had carry on and boarded my DOH bound flight that was a cash ticket. In DOH I went to the Al-Mourjan lounge. In the lounge I checked in online for my EVN flight and got a mobile BP. At the gate for EVN they printed me a ticket.

All worked well. I did not get miles for my CMB flight. I think the key for avoiding a sweep was the cash ticket was tied to me AA account, while I booked the EVN ticket with BA avios and tied it to my BA account.
MattEvan likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Wow, a cash ticket one way ex-DOH. How's SSSS been treating you?

But seriously, I always thought these "sweeps" would be done by name and birth date.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:22 pm

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

I'd imagine some additional checks might kick in if you're checking luggage, but I never do.
MattEvan likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by MattEvan
Best I can tell, it looks like the offer Visa on Arrival at MCT? That should allow me to check in without a visa, right?
The VoA is history. As I've mentioned above, Oman switch to e-Visa only 4 days ago. Not sure if they'll check whether you have an Omani e-visa during check-in.
MattEvan likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
The VoA is history. As I've mentioned above, Oman switch to e-Visa only 4 days ago. Not sure if they'll check whether you have an Omani e-visa during check-in.
Understood, thanks. I’m beginning to think maybe AS lounge is not worth the hassle.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Honestly I don't think it is. It would LH FCT/FCL go for it, but AS, yes the space is beautiful and I like the few museum pieces they have, but the food & drinks are not that premium imo over AM.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Join others in saying that this is a total waste of avions and unnecessary hassle. The day rooms seem great but was never able to get one myself, which leaves Arabic coffee as the main advantage of AS over AM. I exaggerate a little but not much.
synd likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by MattEvan
My concern is that they have an algo sweep that would detect “impossible” itineraries and cancel them.
It's Qatar Airways, so you can quite confidently assume that their backend systems are absolutely unable to detect anything. Try it -- you are at worst out 4500 Avios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.