Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

What about credit to BAEC instead of QRPC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,

I will fly J in some months with my family CGK to MXP return
Recent restrictions in using QR miles and difficulties to nominate family members (as per my previous thread)
QR Family member Nomination?
make me think that while flying QR is still a good option maybe adding QR miles isn't worth anymore.

Since it was quite long not flying QR my previous silver status already gone
Still have around 25K QR miles expiring before my next trip and I do not know how to use them, in any case before my next trip my QR miles will be zero...

What I need is the possibility to spend miles for upgrades and pooling my family miles.

Is applying and credit to BAEC a good idea? I have no other OW FFP running right now.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by BobFF68
I will fly J in some months with my family CGK to MXP return
Recent restrictions in using QR miles and difficulties to nominate family members (as per my previous thread)
QR Family member Nomination?
make me think that while flying QR is still a good option maybe adding QR miles isn't worth anymore.

Since it was quite long not flying QR my previous silver status already gone
Still have around 25K QR miles expiring before my next trip and I do not know how to use them, in any case before my next trip my QR miles will be zero...

What I need is the possibility to spend miles for upgrades and pooling my family miles.

Is applying and credit to BAEC a good idea? I have no other OW FFP running right now.
If you are a regular QR J traveller and care about status, BAEC is considered a very good option for crediting flights.

For example, achieving OWS through BAEC requires just 600 Tier Points, which is 1 QR promo R class return from Western Europe to Asia (560 TPs) + another 40 TPs across any 4 BA flights (so you could, e.g., do two relatively cheap economy class returns LHR to Europe at 20 TPs return each). This is possibly the easiest OWS status available. By contrast, achieving Qatar Gold would require 300 Qpoints, which is 2.5x QR promo R class returns LHR-BKK, so quite a bit more flying.

Similarly at OWE level, 3x QR R class returns takes you well over the 1,500 TPs required for BAEC Gold (1,680 TPs), whilst to achieve QR Plat would take 5x QR R class returns.

You will obviously earn more miles for QR flights on QRPC, but if they are not of use to you, more miles probably aren't going to swing it!

If all you care about is redeeming miles rather than status, then this probably becomes a little bit more complicated and it depends what exactly you want to redeem your miles for (J class? F class? BA? AA? CX?), as all of the Oneworld FFP programmes have a slightly different mix of redemption and earnings rates. Also keep in mind that to earn status on BAEC you will have to take some BA/IB flights (albeit it can be 4 very cheap ones), you can't just earn it from flying exclusively on QR.
spec119, synd and plunet like this.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Mar 21, 2018 at 4:19 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Also keep in mind that to earn status on BAEC you will have to take some BA/IB flights (albeit it can be 4 very cheap ones), you can't just earn it from flying exclusively on QR.
Thanks for the Info, I didn't consider the requirement of BA/IB flights, I just thought tier miles were enough, not so easy being based in Indonesia. As usual too nice to be true...still have time, will see what to do and will study if any better OW option.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:53 am

You cannot upgrade on QR with BA avios.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
at this point in time you cannot upgrade on QR with QRPC in advance.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:24 pm
Suspended

The biggest problem with BAEC is that if you use your miles for upgrades (like I do), you end up upgrading tickets to Club Turd and having to fly BA more.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I fly quite a lot with QR. I joined their FFP just in case - and to put miles elsewhere after passing BA's Gold hurdle. But it's been an unhappy relationship: i shovel everything from QR into BAEC and avios.
synd likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:40 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
I have QR FFP but am switching to BA because of work - having BAEC benefits would be better overall for me, despite the poor longhaul redemption value. Based in UK though so you would have to consider (definitely even more so since you are based in Indonesia, which makes getting the BA flights rather tricky).
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
i shovel everything from QR into BAEC and avios.
Same here, and have been doing so ever since I started flying QR five years ago. The same applies to the other six members of our BAEC Household Account.

I might even achieve BAEC Lifetime Gold largely on the back of TPs earned flying QR!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.